The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 12, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
buymore

stock painting?

I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint that the stock needs some make-up! What are some good paints and what prep is needed to make it stick? I just want a simple pattern to spruce it up a little, nothing spectacular. Thanks
Old May 12, 2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Lavid2002

sand sand sand, go rought to smoothe, 110, 150, 220. Then acitone on a rag to get rid of oil, grease, or dust from sanding. Tape off the internals with scotch blue painters tape. Paint, thin layers, BACK UP! dont be afraid to use waste paint intot he air. Mist the stock. Go thin so it dries fast, stong, and doesnt run!
Heres my .22 :P

P.S. that textured paint is fun! Comes off with sandpaper if you dont like it. Oh, p.s. dont forget to seal it! :P
Let it bathe in the sun for a few days to get nice and strong before taking it to the range.
Old May 12, 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
ISC

be sure to remove the action from the stock before painting...
Old May 12, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
buymore

Sand, sand, sand...? Ok, now I have a dilemma? The SPS Varmint stock has relief areas in the stock with textured areas. I'm guessing as long as I clean it well, the paint will stick? What kind of paint did you use? I have a friend who used a textured paint, but it was on a Choate brand with no checkering or anything, just smooth black synthetic. It looked good. I just want to give mine a simple camo pattern, maybe two colors at most. I may make a stencil pattern to paint? Anu ideas? Thanks
Old May 12, 2008, 08:20 PM   #5
ELMOUSMC

Painting a stock

Sand it litely, pick a color I used flat tan cover the whole stock(2 lite coats are better than 1 heavy) I went out and got 2 big hands full of long pine needles(you can also use straw or thin strips of paper roughly torn) Arrange them randomly on the stock mist lightly with another color( I used flat dark green)allow to dry for at least a day.Turn the stock over and do the other side the same way it is very easy and the results look professionalgive it a try good luck and good shooting.P.S. try it on a 2x4 first ELMOUSMC
Old May 12, 2008, 08:27 PM   #6
buymore

Thanks.....I'll try it out and see what it looks like. Any special paints?
Old May 13, 2008, 02:19 AM   #7
ILgunman

This is how I did it. No sanding, just smoothed some mold lines.

http://illinoishunter.blogspot.com/2...ote-rifle.html

NRA Life Member
Old May 13, 2008, 03:20 AM   #8
buymore

That looks nice.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Lavid2002

Dont HAVE ot use textures paint. I used kroil, MAKE IT STONE paint , as well as MAKE IT LAST paint sealer anc clearcote. I sanded mine....For the textured areas. cetone to remove any il or solvents or dirt put on from shooting or cleaning to get rid of debris or grime so you have a good clean surface for the paint to stick to, I would run in and out of the checkering with a peice of sandpaper folded in half. not too hard! Also...dont forget to Acetone after sanding. Dont sand enough to ruin the patter, just make a small scratch for some grip, as this area is crucial for bonding, its checkered for grip...so your hand will be here most and you want the paint to last.