The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 2, 2006, 08:36 PM   #1
samsmix

Shootin' & Blasting

I've been out of touch of late, but had to stop in and say howdy to the lot of ya'.

Upland bird season is under way here in Montucky, and while phesants & ducks are not open yet, huns, sharp-tails & mountain grouse(blues, ruffs, Franklins) are open, as well as doves & sage hens.

My own score for 2 trips thus far is 16 huns, 3 sharp tails, and the best part is that 8 of those huns have already been eaten! Rolled in flour, browned in oil, simmered in skillet gravy & served over home made egg noodles, with buttered beets from the Hutterite colony I was hunting on. Lord almighty it's good, good, good!

I key in on these 2 species more than the rest for a few reasons: 1) They are more accessable than mountain grouse. 2) Doves don't have a big following here. They don't concentrate en masse like they do elsewhere. Tasty though. 3) Sage grouse populations in the West are estimated to be as low as 200,000 for all states combined. I'd hate to say I helped drive a species to extinction.

Well, I hate to make hunting widows out of you good folks, but if my wife can take it so can you. I'll pop in with season highlights, but I'll be afield or at work any time I'm not asleep. As they say: Nature Calls!

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old October 2, 2006, 10:25 PM   #2
oldbillthundercheif

I will be lighting up some birds ASAP. You are making me hungry with this talk of tastey critters.