The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 11, 2017, 01:27 PM   #26
rodfac

It's a gimmic wannabe to cash in on a gimmic gun. And yeah, I've got an afternoon's experience with a friends 3" Judge...YMMV and JMHO, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. Far better men than I, died that we could be FREE.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
Old January 11, 2017, 06:44 PM   #27
Jim March

There is ONE load out there that makes a Judge (or better yet, a Governor!) worth owning. It's a massively stretched 45LC load with expansion that has to be seen to believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLonprIWm4

Ye Gods and little fishies!
Old January 11, 2017, 07:19 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Quote:
A lot of you are giving Taurus far too much credit in regards to the ingenuity department. The Thunder 5 predated the Judge by a large margin.
That's why I stated it like this.
Quote:
and been the first major manufacturer with the 45/410 revolver
I don't think MIL Inc. could be described as a major manufacturer.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 11, 2017, 07:32 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
There is ONE load out there that makes a Judge (or better yet, a Governor!) worth owning.
Probably as opposite of fact as you can get.
My PD Poly with it's 2" barrel is as accurate as any revolver I have shooting 45 Colt. Especially the Winchester PDX1 225 gr bonded HP. Then with the Federal Premium 410 Handgun 000 Buckshot it shoots a group of four projectiles easily into 3". Pull the trigger three times with that load, and the center of a target oretty much goes ayay. Then using the last two vhambers for the Colt, two to the head is quite doable, and repeatable.
But those two aren't the end to the usefulness. A load of 7 1/2, or 8 shot will easily dispatch a venomous snake in the berry patch, or pesky rat in the barn from 10-15'.
At 42 bucks for a box of twelve of those other goofy things I doubt I waste my time, or money on them.
Old January 12, 2017, 12:37 PM   #30
P5 Guy

I vote gimmick.
I wonder why the 'Thunder Five' faded into obscurity but these revolver .410/45Colt took off?
Old January 12, 2017, 02:49 PM   #31
hanleyfan

I have owned both S%W and the Judge, and they both worked well for there intended purpose, short range self defense weapon and snake gun, My wife is not a very good shot but she can hit with these with self defense loads, setting aside all opinions I saw what these can do at short ranges and I would not want to be at the receiving end.
Old January 13, 2017, 12:01 AM   #32
tallball

I have a Judge. It shoots 45colt decently at seven yards, about like any other 3" large caliber revolver with groove and notch sights. I can hit a paper plate pretty much every time at that distance, which is good enough for me.

With 410 shells it is really fun for blowing up rotten watermelons and so forth. When I was a kid I walked around in rattlesnake country a lot, and a Judge would have gotten a lot of use from me back then.

No offense intended, but could anyone really believe that it would be useless as a SD handgun when loaded with 410 buckshot? IIRC, that would be thirty 32 caliber pellets all discharged in just a few seconds. Just fooling around with it on boxes or vegetables or whatever, the results have been impressive.

All that being said, I just keep it in the safe with most of the others. I keep a 4" 357 out for HD, and also a few small pieces for CC. So if actions speak louder than words, I probably do treat it as gimmicky. But I certainly do have respect for it and would not at all feel unarmed with it in my hand if something went bump in the night.
Old January 13, 2017, 01:41 AM   #33
gbran

While I prefer the .45, I think a .410 revolver out-does pepper spray by a whole bunch.
Old January 13, 2017, 06:54 AM   #34
Hal

Quote:
I wonder why the 'Thunder Five' faded into obscurity but these revolver .410/45Colt took off?
Internet.
Prior to the internet, and first hand reports of people actually taking the time to use weird crud like the Thunder Five and find something useful about them, were few and far between.
The Thunder Five had a very tiny cult following - smaller than the faithful that swear there's a use for the COP and/or the Snake Charmer....
Old January 13, 2017, 07:59 AM   #35
micromontenegro

I wonder, why can't a gimmick aldo be a good idea?

My primary use for guns, barring two or three, is having fun. I have a lot of fun with match guns that, outside of the Olympics and such, are gimmicks. But I do enjoy them. I guess I could manage to have fun with a .410 revolver. I certainly do with my single shot pistol.
Old January 13, 2017, 12:46 PM   #36
ShootistPRS

I found that the 410 slugs perform better than the 45 colt out of my gun. The slugs expand to catch the rifling and travel at 200 fps faster than the 45 Colt round. I can place a five shot group inside 3 inches at 25 yards with the slugs but have a much larger "pattern" with the 45 Colt rounds. I carry the slugs for self defense when I carry it.
Old January 13, 2017, 07:05 PM   #37
mavracer

Quote:
No offense intended, but could anyone really believe that it would be useless as a SD handgun when loaded with 410 buckshot?
It's not useless but there are just IMHO so many better choices.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 13, 2017, 07:32 PM   #38
agtman

Both the S&W and the Taurus are overrated for their purpose, i.e., they're both gimmicky.
Old January 13, 2017, 08:06 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Both the S&W and the Taurus are overrated for their purpose,
Overrated by who?
My guess.....People who have never owned one!
Old January 13, 2017, 08:56 PM   #40
Targa

I think underrated is more accurate.
Old January 14, 2017, 11:30 AM   #41
Buckeye!

With the new and abundant self defense 410 ammo and 45 Colt ammo the 410 revolver is a certified close quarter self defense option .. Having said that, I lean toward the smaller Taurus PD's .. Easier to carry ...thus more apt to carry ..

With the subcompact 45 acp pistols that are in production.. XDS45 , XD45 SC, Glock 30 ,30S , 36 S&W Sheild in 45acp &Taurus P145. The need for large frame big bore snubbies have deminished ..
Old January 14, 2017, 02:58 PM   #42
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Tom Givens - one of the most respected firearms trainer out there today, tested and had little use for the Judge as a SD weapon as compared to being trained and competent with a standard semi.

His write up was in SWAT a few years ago.

I note that NONE of the top ranked trainers (whom I know) recommend the 410/45 revolvers as primary SD guns for the beginner/untrained. Once you are up to speed there are so many better choices.

Yes, it's a gun and will shoot somebody. That doesn't mean it's the best choice.

They were pushed as ultimate room filling stoppers - a ploy to avoid competence for hardware. Thus people bought into it as they wouldn't put in the time to get good.

The Thunderfive was a giant horror of a gun that looked like it was made in a shop class in North Korea.

If you want one as a fun gun - have it. Don't push them as good solutions for Grandma, the wife or your untrained self.

http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...05_Feature.htm
Being an Academic Shooter
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 14, 2017, 10:05 PM   #43
agtman

Quote:
I note that NONE of the top ranked trainers (whom I know) recommend the 410/45 revolvers as primary SD guns for the beginner/untrained. Once you are up to speed there are so many better choices.
Quote:
If you want one as a fun gun - have it. Don't push them as good solutions for Grandma, the wife or your untrained self.
Well said.

In other words, these Judge and Governor guns are overrated and gimmicky, ... as was said.
Old January 14, 2017, 10:19 PM   #44
JC57

Gimmick. In that size I'd take pretty much any N-frame Smith over the Governor.
Old January 14, 2017, 11:12 PM   #45
Targa

Well, what do ya think jski...
Old January 15, 2017, 10:47 PM   #46
BushRat

Quite simply.....

Some people like them and some don't. Never had a use for one.
Old January 16, 2017, 03:05 PM   #47
hanleyfan

considering how many are sold they are more popular than some would think, gun experts might not like them but most of the buying public are not gun experts.
Old January 16, 2017, 03:38 PM   #48
agtman

Quote:
considering how many are sold they are more popular than some would think, gun experts might not like them but most of the buying public are not gun experts.
True, that.

And suckers are born in multiples every minute.

Old January 16, 2017, 10:18 PM   #49
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

But most guys at the gun counter, buying a gun for the 'little lady' think they are experts.

I say that not in jest.

http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...05_Feature.htm
Being an Academic Shooter
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 16, 2017, 11:56 PM   #50
JC57

Quote:
But most guys at the gun counter, buying a gun for the 'little lady' think they are experts.
Learned that lesson. I let my wife pick her own guns. She likes revolvers. She has a S&W 66-1 2.5" that shoots like a dream. I bought her a S&W 642 for a lighter carry option. She was not interested*. When I took her to the gun store to shop for herself, the only gun she wanted the salesman to show her was a Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag.

Not really on topic for this thread, but - let your ladies pick their own gun. They know what they want.

*I love the 642. I had never liked J-frames since I owned a Model 60 back in the early 80s, but the 642 changed my mind. She didn't want it, but I like it. So win-win.