The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2016, 11:39 PM   #1
Martowski

XD Mod.2 Tactical 9mm Observations

I've had this XD Mod.2 Tactical in 9mm for almost a couple months at this point and thought I'd share some observations. I don't see the XDs getting as much love as some other models these days, but to me they are great pistols that I much prefer over many of the competitors.

First off, I bought this because I have had such good experiences with my XD-40. That pistol always amazed me with this accuracy and "shootability", much of which I attribute to a smooth, constant trigger pull that doesn't have a "wall" before the break. When I saw this Mod.2 priced at $469 in Cabelas (which is not the normal price and was going to be corrected on the price tag if I hadn't bought it), I couldn't pass it up.

The stock trigger was smooth but a little heavy, close to 5 1/2 lbs. I bought some replacement sear and trigger springs from Powder River Precision, and now it's right above 4 lbs. I may pick up the Powder River sear as well at some point, but that's not on the immediate future list. In terms of "in hand" feel, it's a very comfortable pistol. Not quite as comfortable as my PPQ M1 9mm but close. In fact, the grips feel very similar but the XD is slightly more square in feel and the PPG is more rounded. The XD Mod.2 balances well and I like the 5" barrel on the tactical model. I also like the sights. While the rear sight is fixed, it is a nice, large sight with a serrated surface that looks like a target sight from the rear. The front fiber optic picks up light nicely, although I could take or leave that as an option.

Shooting this is a joy. Recoil is light, which I'm sure is aided by the extra 1" length over the service model that creates more weight out front.

In terms of accuracy, I've only had it out three times now but it's showing some real signs of promise. This pistol looks like it can run with my Beretta 92fs, which is my most accurate 9mm service pistol. My Dan Wesson Pointman 9 is definitely more consistently accurate, but the two pistols are night and day. The Dan Wesson is a target style 1911 that is very well fitted and costs nearly three times as much as the XD (as a side note, I whole-heartedly recommend the Dan Wesson PM-9 if you are looking for a 9mm that will shoot like a laser in terms of accuracy). Anyway, check out the targets below produced by my XD Mod.2 Tactical this morning. In the first set, shot from 7 yards (standing unsupported), the target on the left was almost a 5-shot cluster if not for the one shot out to the left. Still, it came it at .875" total. The second target was, again, shot unsupported but this time from 10 yards and turned in a .9" group. Others could probably produce better results, but in terms of showing what the pistol can do I will tell you it can run.

I'll say again, the XD Mod.2 Tactical is not going to beat the Dan Wesson in my hands over the long term. But, for the XD to shoot like this and even come close is a big deal given it's a polymer striker-fired service pistol. I've posted some info on this pistol and others in my blog as well (link in my signature line).

Old December 17, 2016, 05:34 PM   #2
eddiejoe333

Good to know. I just picked up the 4 inch. I need to set aside time to try it out.
Old December 17, 2016, 06:25 PM   #3
tahunua001

you know, I am a huge XDM fan, and I usually recommend the XDM over the XD, but with the XD mod 2 tactical I might just have to make an exception and give it a try. that's one sexy looking handgun. not bad groups either.
Old December 18, 2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Martowski

I looked at the XDm and decided to go with the Mod.2 instead. The XDm felt blockier and larger in my hands, whereas the Mod.2 felt a little more comfortable.

I'm a big fan of the XD line. I like the grip safety a lot and am surprised more manufacturers don't incorporate this into their designs.
Old January 9, 2017, 04:59 PM   #5
OhioGuy

Looks pretty promising!

I already have an XD Mod.2 subcompact that I like a lot. I'm interested in getting a longer barreled gun for range use and eventually, competition. It sounds like this tactical model would be a great starting place, plus would be familiar to me and has a lot of available upgrades.

If one wanted to add adjustable sights, or some other optics, is that an option, or would the slide need to be machined to accept different sights?
Old January 9, 2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Martowski

My guess is you could add adjustable sights or other units made to fit in the dovetails. But, this specific model isn't equipped to take an optical sight.
Old January 10, 2017, 02:22 AM   #7
kmw1954

Wife just received her XD Mod2 4.0 and we both shot it for the first time yesterday. I am very impressed and she loves it.

Her first target with it at about 9yds with 115gr factory rounds.

Old January 10, 2017, 07:49 AM   #8
Martowski

That's great. Looks like it suits your wife pretty well!
Old January 10, 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
kmw1954

Now for the little secret. That was only the second time she has ever shot a gun. The other time was with my PT92C. So yes I would say she's done very well with it.
Old January 10, 2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Martowski

Holy cow. Looks like she has some natural talent! It took me quite some time before I could shoot like that.
Old January 10, 2017, 12:59 PM   #11
kmw1954

So is it her, the gun or a combination of both?

I find the grip on the Mod2 to be more comfortable than those on the other XD's. It just feels more natural.
Old January 10, 2017, 02:55 PM   #12
OhioGuy

Nice!

My range has the 4" Mod.2 available. I wish the had the 5". It would be interesting to see whether my groups improve vs. the subcompact I already have.

Maybe it's just because of my particular grip, hand size, etc. but I find it's harder to keep my support thumb in place along the grip or slide when I shoot the Mod.2 than when I shoot other pistols (usually that's a Beretta 92, or a PX4 subcompact). I have to either squeeze the life out of the gun, or else reposition my support thumb after each shot. Just an observation--maybe others have had that also.

(The 92 has a lot less muzzle flip...and the PX4 has an indentation where I can rest my thumb that's lacking on the Mod.2...could contribute to my experience too).

Anyways, that's pretty good shooting! Hope she keeps it up!
Old January 10, 2017, 04:08 PM   #13
kmw1954

Martowski what ammo are you shooting in yours? 10yrd group looks pretty good too.

I'm hoping her groups improve once I can get her to shoot some light reloads over the factory stuff. As the day progressed her groups stated to open up as I think she was reacting to the recoil. We didn't stay real long as I didn't want to over do it and start developing bad habits. Besides the fact that the range started to get full with people waiting which makes her nervous.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Martowski

I'm shooting my own hand loads. These happened to be 124 gr Xtreme plated round nose with 4.8 gr of Unique. I generally run Win 231 at 4.0 gr for this bullet but had to go with Unique for awhile due to powder availability.

Tried running only 4.2 gr of Unique but wasn't stout enough to run the slide back on my PPQ.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:29 PM   #15
Martowski

BTW, again, great shooting by your wife KMW. Mine hasn't been shooting with me for 15 years, and that was on my farm in IL. I know she wouldn't be as comfortable at a crowded range, especially if it were indoors.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:52 PM   #16
kmw1954

As for now I'm playing with a couple different rounds with Berry's 124gr RN and 124gr Hollow Base Flat Point using HP-38. Charges I'm working in are from 4.0gr to a heavy 4.2gr max is at 4.4gr.

Thanks for the encouragement from the wife. I enjoy her company and support.
Old January 10, 2017, 10:03 PM   #17
Martowski

From what I've read, HP-38 and Win 231 are pretty much the same powder so it sounds like we're running the same basic load. I've used it with Berry's 124 gr as well. I buy the Xtreme or Berry's plated bullets based on whichever I can find cheaper as both seem to be good quality.

I've had good luck with the 4.0 gr Win 231 loads; haven't had any issues with it not cycling any of my 9mms of various makes and action types.
Old January 10, 2017, 10:42 PM   #18
kmw1954

My understanding also about the powder. I'm also looking at a few other powders to try; HS6, 800X, and Accurate #5. All are available locally as are the Berry's and Xtreme bullets.

I know many have said that the 800X doesn't measure well in most measures but I don't load that many at a time that I couldn't weigh each charge. The advantage I see with it are higher fps with lower pressures. The data I have for it with the Berry's hollow base is 5.2gr @ 1060FPS and 28200psi to start to 5.7gr @ 1114FPS and 30400psi.

What would be nice would be to find someone locally that is using it and wouldn't mind parting with 1/4 pound that I could play around with w/o having to buy a whole pound..

We'll have to stay in touch to compare notes!
Old January 10, 2017, 10:46 PM   #19
kmw1954

Our new XD Mod2 4.0

Old January 10, 2017, 10:51 PM   #20
cslinger

Why is it slightly out of battery? Chamber flag still in it???
Old January 10, 2017, 11:40 PM   #21
kmw1954

Yes, if you look very closely you can see it
Old January 11, 2017, 08:59 AM   #22
Martowski

Very nice. I like the two tone look on the XD. My XD-40 has the same finish.