The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 28, 2018, 07:54 AM   #1
stuckinthe60s

flash notice of website format change?

so...is the old website going away and going to that new generic type that numerous others have changed over to on the www?
what is the change that requires me to remember my log in in preparation for?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 28, 2018, 11:29 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

I don't expect a lot of people would have problems, but there will be the inevitable few people who email webmaster begging to get access to their account because they forgot their password, didn't update their email address for years and it's no longer valid.

I'm trying to reduce, as much as possible, the number of people who end up in that situation.

I don't know what you mean by "generic type" of forum. We're going to switch to xenforo.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 28, 2018, 11:38 AM   #3
zipspyder

Ahhh, not just an upgrade but a switch. I'll check out some xenforo forums. Thanks for the info.
Old January 28, 2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Sevens

Awwww, I have always loved this software from day one. So that's a royal bummer.

But I do live in the real world and I understand that a lot goes in to keeping this place running and the change is likely being done for a good reason.
Old January 28, 2018, 12:21 PM   #5
stuckinthe60s

this is the only website that likes dial up. all these new websites make it hard to log in. 7 and dial up don't like new format stuff. this may be fairwell. we will see.

old navy saying, if its not broken, don't fix it. but not everyone was in the navy.

Last edited by stuckinthe60s; January 28, 2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old January 28, 2018, 01:02 PM   #6
stuckinthe60s

yep...xenforo. that's the one. I just went to some using it. took 30 mins to log on with some. some just timed out.
firearmtalk
gun and game
mo whitetails
ark hun.net
the same o same format.
stand by for 5 min only edits and site load issues for old computers.
kiss your post count and likes goodbye.
dang...I thought for sure I found a site that dodged the bullet.
Old January 28, 2018, 01:15 PM   #7
Sevens

Wow. You'll be missed!
Old January 28, 2018, 02:12 PM   #8
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s
yep...xenforo. that's the one. I just went to some using it. took 30 mins to log on with some. some just timed out.
Can you help me understand why other forums are so slow? Are most other websites (gmail.com, outlook.com, facebook, twitter, etc) so slow you can't use them, either, or is it mainly other forums that are a problem?

If you're running windows 7, I can't imagine your computer is the problem, unless it's being slowed down by malware or malfunctioning antivirus software or too much software running or too many open tabs. Even a raspberry pi 3 can browse the web acceptably well for web forums.

I'll do everything I can to optimize and speed things up to minimize the difference, but I get a feeling something else is going on.

Are you really using IE11? Get the latest version of Chrome or Firefox, and install ublock origin.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jbkeiagm?hl=en or
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/ respectively. See if that helps at all.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 28, 2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Theohazard

THR switched to Xenforo a little over a year ago. At first I didn't like it simply because it was different. But I quickly got over it and realized how much better it is.

Xenforo is a nice upgrade. Visually, it looks a lot better on cell phones, and it has a better, simpler interface overall. The “alert” notifications eliminate the need to check your subscriptions to see if there are any replies to your posts. It makes browsing the forum much simpler. And the PM system is light-years better, and I especially like the ability to "like" other people's posts. It means people don't always feel a need to comment, they can just "like" certain posts. It cleans up threads for sure.

I'm glad you guys are switching, and I really appreciate it!

Last edited by Theohazard; January 28, 2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old January 28, 2018, 03:06 PM   #10
zipspyder

Being a mod on other forums I've been through a few forum updates. vBullein is old software so you should be pleased with the upgrade once you get used to it.
Old January 28, 2018, 03:32 PM   #11
stuckinthe60s

im a member on all those websites I mentioned. 1/2 of them only load when they feel like it. key word here is dial up.
no problems on dsl or hsi.
but the homes I live in all work off old lines and are in 4 states. they are historic homes. and if any static gets in them, it wont connect or times out.
sure, I like the pic loading feature on the new system. its fast.

but if you can take inputs....increase your time out edit features. AND....a poster should be able to edit his own title. those are some real stick in the muds from other users on the sites using it already.

ill fight thru it and always try to come on line here, but odds are itll just take longer. and if it is hard for me....odds are youll lose a lot more not willing to try for good.
im just speaking from data ALREADY HAPPENING on other websites using this format. be ready for it.

btw, im a mod too elsewhere. I like v bulletin. its not broken.
Old January 28, 2018, 07:41 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
increase your time out edit features. AND....a poster should be able to edit his own title
What time limit would you suggest for an edit window? We won't allow it to be too long, but we are open to suggestions.

Members can already edit their own titles here on TFL. They can't do it forever, but the time limit on that is very reasonable.
Old January 28, 2018, 08:45 PM   #13
krimmie

Will the new software allow tapatalk?
Old January 28, 2018, 08:50 PM   #14
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H View Post
What time limit would you suggest for an edit window? We won't allow it to be too long, but we are open to suggestions.

Members can already edit their own titles here on TFL. They can't do it forever, but the time limit on that is very reasonable.
How about 15 min edit time?
That let’s me dyslexicly type a post, and hit send before I answer the incoming call, then go back and fix it without the edit notice.
Then with the edit notice 48 hours.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 28, 2018, 09:45 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

The current post edit window is a lot longer than that - 4 days to be exact. 12 hours is allowed for changing a thread title.
Old January 29, 2018, 06:38 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I like vBulletin, it's not broken."

The version of vBulletin that we use is an old one, and it's no longer supported, or soon won't be.

It's also got some backend issues that are only going to get worse as time moves on.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 1, 2018, 06:23 AM   #17
4570Tom

Just an FYI. It has been indicated above that the new format will be similar to the one THR now uses. I have issues using my iPad with that forum now. I can read posts, but have trouble posting replies--no box to type into. Reading the THR site support thread indicates I am not the only one. Various fixes are suggested, with varying degrees of success. Hoping those problems don't carry over to the new Firing Line software.
Old February 2, 2018, 06:33 PM   #18
243winxb

xenforo. When i click "new posts" on another site , more then half are items fot sale, buy or trade.

No way to separate them. Not to my liking.
Old February 5, 2018, 11:00 AM   #19
FITASC

Been on a few sites with that soon to be installed here software/format. Took a little getting used to at first; nothing major, little particular features, some new, some in a different spot. I DO like the "like", where you can "like" someone's thread or comment without having to post a "+1" and take up board space. The fonts seem easier on the eyes as well

SO, when does this happen here at TFL?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 9, 2018, 10:26 AM   #20
Reloadron

The Ohazard mentioned:
Quote:
THR switched to Xenforo a little over a year ago. At first I didn't like it simply because it was different. But I quickly got over it and realized how much better it is.

Xenforo is a nice upgrade. Visually, it looks a lot better on cell phones, and it has a better, simpler interface overall. The “alert” notifications eliminate the need to check your subscriptions to see if there are any replies to your posts. It makes browsing the forum much simpler. And the PM system is light-years better, and I especially like the ability to "like" other people's posts. It means people don't always feel a need to comment, they can just "like" certain posts. It cleans up threads for sure.

I'm glad you guys are switching, and I really appreciate it!
I remember the change and was part of the test group at THR. Prior to the actual change we tested the new software before the entire forum switched over. Sort of a this works fine and that doesn't work. The actual transition was seamless when the time came. For the most part everyone liked the changes which also brought added features. The largest burden was on the forum administrators which is always the case.

The new software will be different but like anything else different will take a short time to adapt to. Personally I saw no change in anything forum as to things like logging in or any time delays posting or navigating the forums. I did like and adjust to the new look and features and navigation structure. I look forward to the changes here on The Firing Line.

Additionally many of the features I see being discussed, just for example Edit time or Edit Thread Title are features which are user adjustable by administrator or staff privileges. They are not cast in concrete by the software engine powering the forum. I actually like the settings used here and the allowed member's permissions.

Ron

Last edited by Reloadron; February 9, 2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old June 8, 2018, 05:20 PM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
We're going to switch to xenforo.
Any update on when the changeover will happen?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 8, 2018, 10:53 PM   #22
243winxb

Quote:
xenforo. When i click "new posts" on another site , more then half are items fot sale, buy or trade. 

No way to separate them. Not to my liking.
I have since found out, this can be adjusted.
Old February 13, 2019, 04:03 PM   #23
FITASC

Been 6 months since I last asked, is there any update on the switch?
Old February 13, 2019, 04:26 PM   #24
Reloadron

Thought has also crossed my mind over the past year.

Ron