The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 17, 2018, 05:51 PM   #1
kymasabe

Budget AR Uppers ??

I'm looking for a budget build AR upper.
I'm thinking: carbine, standard profile barrel, flat top with A2 front sight, .223 Wylde would be nice in a 1:8 twist but I'd be just as happy with a 5.56 barrel in 1:8, would settle for 1:7
Was thinking Palmetto State Armory but I may have to wait until exactly what I want goes on sale. There's Bear Creek, possibly Sanders Armory too...
...am I missing any? Or does anyone know of any complete uppers on sale right now?
Old February 17, 2018, 06:44 PM   #2
Kvon2

I recently got a bear creek AR complete rifle in 7.62x39 and am pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. They've got a lot of options for uppers that I may just have to revisit soon.
Old February 17, 2018, 07:31 PM   #3
imashooter

PSA prices are decent at the moment. http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15...r_caliber=1369
Old February 17, 2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Mobuck

I'd pick PSA over BCA anytime.
Old February 17, 2018, 09:51 PM   #5
Kvon2

Quote:
I'd pick PSA over BCA anytime.
I think they're both fine, just depends on who has an option that appeals to you.

Just out of curiosity Mobuck, do you gave any hands on experience with either?
Old February 18, 2018, 01:10 AM   #6
kymasabe

I've never seen or owned a Bear Creek before, reviews seem to be all over the place, some people hate them and had problems, some of the recent reviews seem to be better. Prices are certainly decent, so low though that I'm concerned about quality. Plus, everyone seems to hate their bolt carrier groups. On the PSA side of things....I've owned one of their PTAC uppers before, wasn't bad, functioned fine, finish was good enough for a cheap rifle. I upgraded charging handle and put a nickel boron bolt carrier group in it and it was fine.
Not sure what to do....

Last edited by kymasabe; February 18, 2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:39 AM   #7
deserted

Got a complete AR 10.5" pistol kit, minus the lower(which I got for free) from .22mods4all.com (or maybe .22modsforall.com) for $329 last summer. Shoots better than my Colt HBAR match and I pack it around every day. Building another pistol and carbine in 25-45 Sharps as soon as the last barrel comes in. One came today. There must be a million offers out there for uppers. Sign up for Grabagun alerts, or gun.deals/today. You'll find what you want soon.
A spring here, a detent pin there, another upper receiver magically appears on the bench, and pretty soon...
Old February 18, 2018, 12:46 PM   #8
Mobuck

"Just out of curiosity Mobuck, do you gave any hands on experience with either?"

I do or I wouldn't have made a comment.
I have approx a dozen PSA uppers in various configurations and 3 BCA (one pre-assembled upper in 6.5G and 2 BCA barrels I've installed).
The BCA bore finish is less than hoped for. The little note said BCA doesn't recommend the use of steel cased ammo but oddly enough, the proving cases included with the complete upper were from WOLF steel cased ammo.
Old February 18, 2018, 02:28 PM   #9
marine6680

A2 front sight... with a wylde chamber?

Why?!

No point in having a wylde chamber on a non free float barrel. And generally, I see wylde on 18+ inch barrels more than 16in ones.

1 in 8 twist is a good twist rate, but it isn't common. It is definitely not common on a budget upper.

PSA has a good deal going right now... THIS is a very nice upper, with their milspec BCG, which are fantastic. For $50 more you can get the same upper with a full MBUS set.

If you want something more basic... THIS upper looks good. Midlength, which I feel is superior for a 16in barrel. Comes with their milspec BCG as well. You only save like $40 over the one above.

If you want carbine length gas system... THIS one looks good.

IF you really want to spend less, you will need to wait on a sale, and hope they have what you want.

I think your list of wants, really isn't going to be available in a budget upper...

Last edited by marine6680; February 18, 2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 03:08 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
On the PSA side of things....I've owned one of their PTAC uppers before, wasn't bad, functioned fine, finish was good enough for a cheap rifle. I upgraded charging handle and put a nickel boron bolt carrier group in it and it was fine.
Not sure what to do....
Barring the possibility that you have an exceptional example... If PTAC was good enough for you, then pretty much anything on the market should meet your expectations. (My PTAC uppers were crap, for the record.)

But if you don't want to be playing the lottery, I'd step up to at least 'standard' PSA.
Old February 18, 2018, 04:47 PM   #11
hdwhit

Quote:
kyamsabe wrote:
I'm looking for a budget build AR upper.
I'm thinking: carbine, standard profile barrel, flat top with A2 front sight, .223 Wylde would be nice in a 1:8 twist but I'd be just as happy with a 5.56 barrel in 1:8, would settle for 1:7
And all that for a budget price?

Ever heard the saying, "Beggars can't be choosers"? or "People in **** want ice water?" You're being very particular for a budget rig.

You're also a couple of weeks late. You should have beaten the Florida school shooting. These events provoke calls for AR bans which then drive up the prices.

Sit on your hands for a couple of months and let all the hysteria blow over. Then, go look for a new upper.
Old February 18, 2018, 06:28 PM   #12
kymasabe

Well, took a gamble again and ordered another PTAC upper, got 5.56 chamber 1:7 twist, M4 profile barrel, carbine length gas tube, nitride finish, M4 feed ramps. No BCG or charging handle. Paid $159 with free shipping. I'll order the Strike Industries handle I've had before that I liked and I'll wait until Aim Surplus puts the Exo nickel boron BCG on sale again...and she'll be complete. 74 other buyers seemed to be satisfied with this cheap upper.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-...-ch-39236.html

Should ship soon and arrive by the end of the week. Will report back how it looks when it arrives, and then later a range report.
Old February 18, 2018, 07:48 PM   #13
marine6680

$160 upper +
$80 give or take BCG +
$30 CH

$270 complete...

The ones I linked are better uppers all around, and are complete and ready to go. The first one is a much better buy for not much more. If you don't want the free float handguard, the other two are good options, for less.

Not trying to be a phallis about it... But there is buying cheap, and there is buying inexpensive...

Cheap tends to be "false economy" that costs more in the long run.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:47 PM   #14
kymasabe

I can shave a few a few dollars off that estimate, psa is offering their bcg for $60 right now but, i didnt want to order that one or a complete upper, i have a bcg in mind that I've used before that i like, the exo nickel boron that aim surplus sells, can get on sale occasionally for $99 with free ship. And there are plenty of take-off charging handles around for $15 If I wanna go cheap there too.
Old February 19, 2018, 05:00 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Best of luck to you.
If it met your needs before, it may do so again.

I, honestly, didn't know that they had even brought PTAC back.
But...
When a manufacturer has a disclaimer on their product, it usually means more that what is assumed:

Quote:
PTAC products are ready for duty, and are meant to be used. As such the finish may have some cosmetic irregularities which include, but are not limited to, scuffs, scratches, and dings or dents in the forgings that do not affect function.
"(...) do not affect function." ...
Tell that to the 16" mid-length "5.56 Match" PTAC barrel that has the bore .095" off-center at the muzzle, with the crown cut on-center. I have potatoes that are more accurate.
P.S.: What the crap is a "5.56 Match" chamber?...
Old February 19, 2018, 01:59 PM   #16
marine6680

There are 5.56 match chambers...

The USMC developed one for their shooting teams... Called the SAM-R...
Old February 19, 2018, 02:17 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

I've had great success with PSA uppers. For the money, ivebeen very happy with their quality and accuracy within their Freedom line.

Bear Creek seems pretty hit and miss.
Old February 19, 2018, 10:16 PM   #18
ndking1126

CBC Industries is cheap and my 300 blk upper has been really good. I can recommend them, although I'm not sure if they'll have your exact configuration. I emailed them once and they were helpful and quick to respond.
Old February 19, 2018, 11:21 PM   #19
kymasabe

Ordered my BCG today, a Toolcraft nitride one for $69 including shipping and basic mil-spec charging handle for $13.
http://www.tomstactical.com/toolcraf...5-m16-5.56-223