The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2018, 05:47 PM   #1
kymasabe

APEX trigger in SD9 was nightmare !!

So, got a new S&W SD9 and yes, the trigger is as bad as everyone says it is so, right out of the gate I ordered the Apex spring kit and trigger. The spring kit went in without a problem, but the trigger was a pain in the rump to get to work correctly. Apex has a "your trigger may no work so here are instruction on how to file your new trigger" video, which I followed, spent half an hour filing and testing and filing and testing and it still didn't work right. If I pulled the trigger back quickly, would seem to fire OK. But, if I pulled back slowly, would just hang there, no click, squeeze harder and sometimes would fire, shake the gun a little and sometime would fire, weird pauses. Totally unsafe. Stripped the Apex trigger out of it and put the stock trigger back in. Working fine again, Apex springs lightened things up a little. But peeved that I spent $40 on a trigger that doesn't work.
Old February 17, 2018, 05:55 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But peeved that I spent $40 on a trigger that doesn't work.
Yes, but on the good side, at least it's chickenfeed compared to spending $250+ on a gun with a trigger you know in advance you won't like.
Old February 17, 2018, 06:07 PM   #3
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Yes, but on the good side, at least it's chickenfeed compared to spending $250+ on a gun with a trigger you know in advance you won't like.
True true. The stock trigger is now much improved. Spring kit took some weight out of it, and I polished part of the trigger bar and seer with 600 grit sandpaper so doesn't feel as gritty anymore. For what I paid for the gun, I can live with this trigger now.
Old February 17, 2018, 07:40 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
$40 on a trigger that doesn't work
Valuable lesson learned.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 17, 2018, 08:15 PM   #5
xandi

I have a sd9ve, the trigger is no 1911 but I fine it’s not that bad try dry firing it a lot see if it smooths up
IMO A long and heavy trigger is a safety feature on a safetyless revolver/ striker fired pistols
Old February 17, 2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Dufus

I heard about the triggers before I bought the guns (four of them), too.

I read the Apex only dropped it a couple or three pounds. I figured I would find out for myself.

Turns out the trigger is perfect for a CCW. I do not like light triggers on a carry gun.

All the internet stories of horrible triggers is just that.....stories.

I can learn most any trigger.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:02 AM   #7
RUT

I installed the Apex spring kit only, and it made a considerable improvement in the trigger. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot, and considering it's billed as a "self defense" weapon the trigger is more than adequate.
Old February 19, 2018, 12:45 AM   #8
kymasabe

Well, I'm back to my stock trigger, but with the Apex springs. Trying to return the Apex trigger that didn't work, but probably won't let me return it since I filed it like their online instructions said to.
Old February 19, 2018, 08:42 AM   #9
PPGMD

Have you tried calling them? Granted I haven't dealt with them in the last couple of years, but they have good customer service.

Also it isn't "the part may not fit" it is that for some guns fitting maybe required.
Old February 21, 2018, 12:10 AM   #10
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
Have you tried calling them? Granted I haven't dealt with them in the last couple of years, but they have good customer service.

Also it isn't "the part may not fit" it is that for some guns fitting maybe required.
No, didn't call Apex, I contacted the dealer I bought it from and it's on it's way back, I should have a refund in a week or so.
Old February 21, 2018, 06:41 PM   #11
moosemike

I like my SD9's trigger. I don't like light triggers on carry guns. My chamber isn't empty.
Old February 21, 2018, 11:48 PM   #12
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
I like my SD9's trigger. I don't like light triggers on carry guns. My chamber isn't empty.
My chamber's not empty either, I just can't stand gritty triggers. The Apex springs lightened it up a little and polishing the trigger bar and seer helped so...is good enough for now. Still has around a 6lb trigger...
Old February 22, 2018, 09:24 AM   #13
crazy charlie

Six lbs. ain't all bad.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:10 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...Apex has a "your trigger may no work so..." You should send it back or not spend the $40 on it. In any case, triggers usually require fitting. Drop in they ain't.
Gritty isn't about the springs. It's about how smooth the mating parts are.
"...didn't call Apex..." The warrantee, if there is one, comes from the manufacturer not the retailer. No files on triggers.
"...trigger is no 1911..." Neither is the SD9.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:51 PM   #15
TunnelRat

I’ve had a number of APEX parts. Almost all of them were drop in. In my experience it’s more typically the case than not, but there’s no guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk