The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Old 454

Powder Coating

What is needed to powder coat lead bullets i cast.
About what is the cost to get started ?

Thanks for the info
Old September 9, 2017, 07:57 PM   #2
res45

You will need a plastic bowl with a snap or screw on lid of some sort I use a old cool whip bowl and use the shake an bake method,other will just put there powder an bullets in a vibratory tumbler and let it run till there coated.

Some people use plastic air soft beads mixed in with the powder,I've done it with an without and can't tell much of a difference. An environment with low humidity that helps create static electricity is your friend when it comes to coating bullets when I can't do it out in the shop on hot humid or humid days I coat them in the house an toast them out on the back porch.

You will need a toaster over. You can buy a new one fairly cheap or see if you can pick a used one up at a local thrift store for a few dollars. People bake the bullets in different way but I line my toaster tray with non stick aluminum foil and stand my bullets up on the base using a pair of large tweezers,it's slower but I like the results I get.

As to powder many use the Harbor Freight powders Red works best for shake and bake followed by the Yellow. The HF Blacks seem to work much better if it's sprayed on with an ES gun as will the Red an Yellow the HF white is pretty much useless for PCing bullets.

There are many companies online that see powder coat by the pound or you can get it form Smoke over at Cast Boolits http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raying-bullets He has good powder,prices and shipping it's where I get my powders.

All my coated bullets are baked at 400 degrees for 20 min. if you buy online from a mfg. they will state what temp and time to bake there powders at for it to cure properly. It's a good idea to preheat your over before putting the bullets in an use a oven thermometer to verify your oven temperature.

Also of note if you water quench your bullets straight from the mold before coating the PC curing process with negate the first water quenching so you will need to re quench them after removing them from the toaster oven even them they still want reach a final BHN as close to the original quenched BHN but it will be fairly close.

Here are a couple samples I done.

Last edited by res45; September 10, 2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old September 10, 2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Old 454

Hmmm very interesting. I was hoping powder coat was not the same as the tumbler stuff u bake on, not that its a deal breaker.

Price on the ES gun u mentioned ? I have a small air comressor i can use if it needs to be sprayed on.

Thank u for the info... all good to know stuff
Old September 10, 2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Rottweiler

The harbor freight powder coating gun is under 100 bucks....80 or so if I remember correctly. and Yes you will need that air compressor to spray the powder.

If you don't want to spend the money for the spray gun, look over on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ They have an entire section on coating "boolits" by tumble coating.
Old September 10, 2017, 07:34 PM   #5
res45

The ES gun I have came from Harbor Freight a couple years ago. I only paid $40 for mine as it was on sale and I had a coupon as well. Honestly I use it once in awhile but 99% of all my PC'ed bullets I use the shake and bake method.
Old September 11, 2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Don Fischer

What are those gray HP bullet's? Love that HP on them. I have one HP mold foe 38's and not really crazy about it. Bough a hollow point tool for my RN rifle bullet's and don't care much for it. Make's a 1/16" hole usually off center.
Old September 11, 2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Chainsaw.

Having done both Id say just try the shake and bake method first. Ive found certain powders/colors do better or worse. The ES makes GOOD results but it wastes alot of powder and is quite a mess. Shake and bake you just pick em out of the tupper ware and set them on the tray and bake. Done.

I think I have about $20 into my set up not including powder.
Old September 12, 2017, 06:52 PM   #8
res45

DF those HP's are cast from this NOE mold http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...nig2k1eh5qste1 and are coated with OD Green powder coat. You might want to check or reset your monitors color setting if they are appearing gray,just saying.
Old September 13, 2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Chainsaw.

Res45, you coating look perfectly applied. Very nice.
Old September 14, 2017, 03:22 AM   #10
armoredman

res45, you said everything I could have said. Powder coating is fun and easy. Sometimes I need two coats because the first didn't stick well enough, but it works. Fun stuff - I even shoot powder coated lead in .223 out of a gas operated BREN with no leading.
Old September 15, 2017, 01:09 AM   #11
res45

armoredman,just a thought. Try washing you bullets in some pure acetone as a test an see if that makes a difference,you can get a small bottle of 100% acetone fingernail polish remover at most stores for under $2.

Also I have notices that although some bullets appear to not be entirely coated they are but the pigment is what is spotty. It's one reason that next time I order powder I'm just going to go with plain old clear coat. I kinda like the way my shinny lead bullets look anyway.

Here are some of the same 45 Cal. HP's I did with Safety Orange I got from smoke,it might be kinda hard to see but the orange in not 100% opaque as there are some lighter areas on the bullets but they are fully coated.

Old September 15, 2017, 11:25 AM   #12
Chainsaw.

Are all of those pics using Smoke's powder?
Old September 15, 2017, 04:59 PM   #13
res45

Some are some aren't the Orange is the OD Green I got 3 lbs. just for asking at a local powder coaters business as he had a bit left over from a job.

The top 7 bullets are bullets I coated with a mix of various powders I was just playing around with,nothing I currently use as I stick with solid colors only. Some of them are OD Green with a pinch of white to give them a speckled look like bullets # 2,3 & %. The Yellow bullet #4 is a mix of mostly HF yellow with a pinch of red and the reddish/orange tinted bullets #1,6,7 in the row are a mix of HF red and yellow in various amounts.

I have some of Smokes Yellow and Carolina Blue but I use those to coat my brothers bullets. I do have some of Smokes bright green that I coat my 9mm bullets with.

NOE 9mm 124 gr. TC PB version. Smokes Yellow Green

Lee 125 gr. RNF Smokes Yellow Green with Sulfur Yellow sprinkles.

Last edited by res45; September 15, 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old November 26, 2017, 05:59 PM   #14
res45

Coated a couple hundred NOE 155 gr. HP bullets that are a clone of the Ray Thompson 358156 bullet. Yellow Green for 357 Mag. and Carolina Blue for 38 +P or some of Skeeters loads with the bullet crimped in the lower lube groove using 38 special cases.

Old December 16, 2017, 03:37 PM   #15
Old 454

What do you use to mix with the powder coat to get it to stick to the bullets ?

Also i size to .452 on my 45's. ... size before or after powder coating
Old December 16, 2017, 03:39 PM   #16
Old 454

Went to harbor freight and got the matte black pc got some beads to use for mixing
Have acetone
Old December 16, 2017, 06:45 PM   #17
Old 454

Ok... going to resize first to .451... then just dump some of this here powder in the mixing bowl with the beads and bullets... i will prolky FUBAR this all up
Old December 16, 2017, 07:12 PM   #18
Old 454

Hmmm damn powder isnt sticking to the bullets.... very spoty
Old December 16, 2017, 07:21 PM   #19
dahermit

Quote:
Went to harbor freight and got the matte black pc got some beads to use for mixing
Have acetone
Harbor Freight powders do not work very well for "shake and bake" powder coating. However, their Red works best.

To powder coat:
1) Get a twist-on top, Zip Lock plastic container. It must have the recycle code "5" on it (it builds up static electricity).

2) Fill the Zip Lock container 1/4 full of Black Air Soft "BB's".

3) Dump in about 25 .45 caliber cast lead bullets.

4)Place about one heaping tablespoon of Powder Coat powder in the container and screw the top on.

5) Holding each end of the container, with the container held horizontally, swirl the container and its contents vigorously for thirty seconds to build up the static charge on the bullets.

6) Carefully unscrew the top and look at the coverage of the bullets. If not completely covered, swirl some more.

7) When coverage is total, dump out the contents onto a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil.

8) With tweezers, hemostat, forceps, or some other tool, pick up each bullet and place it upright on the toaster oven pan (covered with baking parchment paper).

9)When all the bullets have been placed on the oven pan, place into a toaster oven that is set to 400 degrees (and has been verified to be 400 degrees with an oven thermometer).

10) When the bullets turn glossy, set the timer for 15 minutes.

11) when the bullets have cooled size them as normal...no need to presize before powder coating.

Follow these instructions exactly...or go to the Cast Boolet site and follow their instructions in the hundreds of pages of "stickies".
Old December 16, 2017, 07:24 PM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
Hmmm damn powder isnt sticking to the bullets.... very spoty
Harbor Freight powders work well with a gun, not very well with shake-n-bake. Go to Cast Boolits site and read where they get their powders:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Old December 16, 2017, 08:05 PM   #21
Old 454

Update... added a little acetone to the mix... bullets coated... but i think i used wayyyyyy to much powder... the coating looks almost like pudding lol... maybe not as thick ... but its thick... bullets are on the cookie sheet and in my wifes new convection oven
Old December 16, 2017, 08:15 PM   #22
Chainsaw.

Ok, seriously, dont use the oven you cook in.

I would ditch the acetone, never heard of anyine using it with PC, only hightec, and thats different stuff.

Try Eastwoods ford light blue, Lots of folks use it with great success.
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...ight-blue.html
Old December 16, 2017, 08:17 PM   #23
Old 454

Ok i will try a diffrent brand of PC.... these dont look to bad actually... a few have some powder lumped up...
Old December 16, 2017, 08:31 PM   #24
Old 454

Well pulled them out of the oven... there all like welded to the cookie sheet... ugg
Not a good one in the bunch... in the garbage they went along with the bowl an beads...

Will either order a diffrent pc or go back to HF and get tge air gun thing
Old December 16, 2017, 09:12 PM   #25
FITASC

As mentioned, NEVER put lead stuff in anything you use for food......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa