The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2006, 08:02 PM   #26
Doug S

My home defense shotgun is a Mossberg 500 Tactical Model with an 18.5in barrel and a pistol grip, ATI collapsible AR type stock. Mounted on the buttstock is a 5 round shell holder containing 5 rounds of buckshot. It also has a nylon strap on the forearm slide, and a sling that holds 4 additional slug rounds. I have the stock set so that the shotgun is just a hair shorter than my Chinese Paratrooper SKS.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old July 1, 2006, 08:37 PM   #27
Renfield

Winchester Defender 12 gauge loaded with #4 buckshot

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old July 1, 2006, 09:20 PM   #28
coolridelude

i use this Rem. 870

and the buckshots that i am using right now is the winchester Xsuper 3in mag. 00(15pellets). i ran out of the Rem. reduced recoil i had got to a mom and pop shop and bought some. they were like 50rds for about $15. they had dust bunnies on them. to me they kick less then the regular bird shot.

i don't know how to resize. the pic has never come out that big.
Old July 1, 2006, 11:42 PM   #29
OJ

First line of defense - watch dogs watching

Defense strategy - Drown'em in drool

Second line - by my bedside - otherwise with me (except in shower)
Colt's MKIV/Series 70 Government Model 45 ACP

And, if all goes down the drain, there's always the M1A (I've been chided about the ten round mag - I have more if needed)

Maybe the "MASTIFF CROSSING" sign on the front of the garage is the reason I've never needed to test any of my resources.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old July 2, 2006, 01:00 AM   #30
CALNRA

Man, can't people just stick to shotguns in the shotgun forum without bringing out the other guns?

Mine is a plain jane Mossy 500 with Ati Folding Stock, loaded with 5 rounds of 00 buck, with a 18.5 inch barrel.

Now the stock is the cheaper one,
http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-mossberg6.html
i got it for 40 bucks from Ebay, and it's surprisingly comfortable when shooting full-power slugs. With the ATI stock the gun is very portable and pretty solid. I know a lot of people hate it but it works for me.
Old July 2, 2006, 01:13 AM   #31
BillCA

Let's be different

Remington 870 - 20 gauge - 21" barrel - stoked with #3 buckshot and slugs.

Buckshot is Winchester Super-X, 2 3/4" #3 buckshot which should be sufficient at short household ranges. For penetration, I'm using Reminton CopperSolid sabot slugs. A 275gr projectile at 1500 fps.

Why a 20 gauge instead of a 12? Especially when I have a 12ga Winchester 1300? The 870 is shorter, lighter and quicker pointing than the 12ga, will be just about as effective at close range. The 870 gives me power without the burden of a heavier gun and hefty recoil. And, if home defense calls for more than 6 rounds, I'm pulling out heavier hitting hardware!
Old July 2, 2006, 11:28 AM   #32
OJ

Quote:
Man, can't people just stick to shotguns in the shotgun forum without bringing out the other guns?
I certainly didn't mean to offend here (and am assuming the above was directed at me) but, some of us respond to threads we pull up on the "New Posts" list without noticing which forum it started on.

I didn't realize I was responding on a "Shotgun" forum list.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old July 2, 2006, 04:51 PM   #33
Death from Afar

INstead of spending money on lights etc, you are better off doing a decent shotgun course, or at the very least spend several days on the range patterning your shooting iron.

Gunsite- cant beat it.
Old July 2, 2006, 06:27 PM   #34
ATW525

Maverick 88 18.5" security model kept cruiser ready with five rounds of 2 3/4" Remington Express 00 buckshot. No tacticool addons here, just an economical and dependable shotgun combined with a load I'm confident in. The only accessory I've been considering is a limbsaver recoil pad.
Old July 2, 2006, 08:17 PM   #35
ddelange

Quote:
INstead of spending money on lights etc, you are better off doing a decent shotgun course
In my opinion, a tactical light is mandatory for a HD shotgun; so is training with a reputable trainer. I don't care how well people know their house in the dark, positively ID'ing your target before pulling the trigger is not only common sense, but I think mandatory for any responsible SG owner defending his home/family.

Even if you have a remote that can turn on all the lights in your house, home invaders can disable your lights before the home invasion. Be prepared to defend your home in the dark with a SG . . .preferably with a tactical light on it.

Personally, I have a tac light mounted on my Glock 17, and a SureFire forend light on my Mossberg 590A1. After some training, I learned how many different home invasion scenarios require a mounted light in order to best defend yourself and home.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill
Old July 3, 2006, 09:22 AM   #36
Lee Lapin

"INstead of spending money on lights etc, you are better off doing a decent shotgun course,"
================

I just took Louis Awerbuck's basic shotgun class (3 days) and one of the things on his short list of must-haves for a defensive shotgun was a white light source mounted on the gun, and a separate handheld light was recommended as well. Louis was Chief Rangemaster at the original Gunsite until 1987... and he travels to teach. When the instructor comes to you, you don't have to go to a fixed site for classes, it saves you money on travel. ( http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.htm ) Lots of other great instructors take their classes on the road too, Louis isn't alone in that mode of teaching...

lpl/nc
Old July 3, 2006, 03:41 PM   #37
Btate

Hd

I'm currently buying a Mossberg 590A1 with ghost ring sights No pic yet but stay tuned......
Old July 3, 2006, 04:43 PM   #38
Death from Afar

OH yes, I havent put that very well. Ideaaly you are better getting a tac light and then learning how to use it. You are dead right ( pun intended) about the risks of not having a light and the risk of putting a round into a family memebr. Uncool.
Old July 4, 2006, 12:07 PM   #39
Jeepmark2005

My defensive weapons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun pics.jpg (46.8 KB, 217 views)
Old July 4, 2006, 03:08 PM   #40
akr

OJ------

I appreciate you showing us your .45, and I didn't mind a bit. Thanks for the picture, and I, along with some others on this forum, wish I had one.

I read your profile, and I think, with your track record, you qualify to show or talk about anything you want, sir.
Old July 4, 2006, 11:52 PM   #41
the_oklahombre

Old July 5, 2006, 04:05 AM   #42
akr

Wolfdog45 made a believer out of me. He made me glad I just ordered my first .45 to go along with my shotguns. Now I don't feel quite so self-indulgent.
Old July 5, 2006, 04:10 AM   #43
akr

Oklahombre has a good idea. I might as well move my chainsaw into the house, too, to add to the collection.
Old July 5, 2006, 06:42 PM   #44
Quintin

A Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical. Stock as a rock, except for a magazine extension.
Old July 6, 2006, 01:09 AM   #45
Camaroman_99

Remington 870!
Colt Detective Special .38
Old July 6, 2006, 02:13 AM   #46
johnsonrlp

Well, first there's the guards at the gate, with their M9's M4's and Beneli pumps. Then there's my wife's attack cats (don't laugh they both weigh about 20lbs and have an extreme hatred of people)
Then there's my wife and all her sharp pointy stuff, (she has a thing for knives and swords)
There's the louisville slugger and it's cousin the pickaxe handle next to the front and back doors respectively.
Then there's my 870 HD with mag ext and a big stack of cheap buckshot and slugs
Old July 9, 2006, 11:14 AM   #47
wolfdog45

I already have my chainsaw in the house, well in the basement that is.
I believe that every one should own at least one .45
Old July 9, 2006, 11:27 AM   #48
dfaugh

Mossberg 20" "Special Purpose", cylinder bore, loaded w/ 3" S&B 15 pellet 00 buck (8+1 w/ 2 3/4 shells, but 7+1 with the 3"). PG and folding stock.

Backup/alternatives:

Hi-Point carbine w/ "Black Talon" +P+
1 standard issue SKS
1 SKS-M (takes AK mags, 240 rounds loaded in spare mags)

That's assuming they get past the 4 German Shepherds, 3 of which are trained protection dogs.

No, I don't lock my doors at night

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 9, 2006, 12:09 PM   #49
Barber2678

From what I have always heard from LE and legal counsel, the best thing to shoot a BG with is your $5000 bird gun loaded with #8's. If you have a tricked out 870, AR, or .45 that you end up having to use in defense of your home, the BG and/or his family may try to file a suit on the basis that you were planning on killing someone. Just waiting around for someone to pop in so to speak. Now on the other hand, and especially for where I live, I don't think the DA would ever prosecute or get a jury to convict. But if you live in an anti-gun area it might be a different story.

As for me, I just want something that is short, with low recoil, and will make a loud bang. I think that would be sufficient to get someones attention. And if I miss them with all the shells, I'll beat them with it while they are trying to get out of the house.
Old July 9, 2006, 07:05 PM   #50
ragwd

mossberg 500 cruiser with 00 buck , nothing in chamber , it such a sweet shotgun