The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 13, 2004, 06:31 PM   #1
Agencyman

IPSC belt gear, finding?

I am an IDPA newbie, (2 matches + a classifier), but totally new to IPSC, just shot my first. I only had a two mag Fobus concealment paddle for extra 45 Govt. mags., so I had a couple more in various pockets, one stuck under my belt near the holder...

It was every bit as bad as you'd guess. Got flustered twice when I reached for a mag and found my holder empty, then couldn't remember which pocket had a useable mag! Once, ended up shooting with one foot out of the box, and 20 seconds went away in the blink of an eye.

******SO! What brands or vendors could I look up on the web to find a four-mag holder, and later a holster? The ones I saw at the match were definitely NOT concealment mag pouches. They stuck way out at odd angles.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old June 14, 2004, 10:03 AM   #2
Jeeper

THis depends on what route you are going to go. You gun is in limited or limited 10 for ISPC wwhich means a variety of holster choices. The speed holsters are usually made by companies like Ghost, Limcat, safariland, CR Speed, and Frank Garcia. as with the speed pouches. You could also go the kydex route which is a hell of a lot cheaper with a company like comp-tac(What Burkett uses by the way) They make nice stuff and you could use it in both IDPA and IPSC

http://www.comp-tac.com/
Old June 14, 2004, 01:35 PM   #3
Agencyman

Jeepers!, (sounds like I'm auditioning for the Lil' Rascals reprise!)

I muchly appreciate that link. I had meanwhile searched google for ["mag holder" + competition] and had found BladeTec and several others that were OK, but not what I was looking for.

That Comp-Tac in a double is adjustable and exactly what I'd had in mind, I just ordered.

My Fobus paddle double is possibly better for real world concealment, but almost too tight to the ribs. These will be better for IPSC and IDPA.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old June 15, 2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Jeeper

Comp-tac makes good stuff and I shoot occasionally with the owner.
Old June 29, 2004, 07:51 PM   #5
SturmRuger

I am shooting in Production so it is a little differant then shooting Limited 10. I went and got a really nice Unlce Mikes kydex double mag holder. It works extremly well and I can use it for CCW if I so choose. WHen I am carrying I don't often keept two mags on me, but if I decide to carry that much at least it is an option.
Old July 1, 2004, 11:21 PM   #6
glockster96

Ky-tac makes excellent kydex products, but you might have a long wait getting them.

www.kytac.com
Old July 4, 2004, 11:01 AM   #7
fyrestarter

I use a Hogue Powerspeed Holster, which takes some getting used to, when shooting my 1911's in Lim 10, and four Ernie Hill Speedleather mag cases on a Cowboy belt I bought in Mexico. It's the most ridiculous looking setup on the line, but it works for me because I'm used to it. Kydex stuff is great, too, but I use that with my Glock -- plastic gun, plastic gear.

Start cheaply -- get some Uncle Mike's kydex mag holders -- they're like $14-15 in double, and a Blade-tech or Sidearmor holster. You can read about all types of gear at:

http://www.sportshooter.com/

and a review of the aforementioned holsters at

http://www.sportshooter.com/gear/rev...x_holsters.htm

When you're ready to buy, go to Brownells.com or Cheaperthandirt.com. No reason spending a lot in the beginning....

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old July 13, 2004, 08:34 PM   #8
dukeofurl

I'm an IDPA soon to be IPSC dual gunner and I have a setup that I think will be adequate for Production.

Sidearmor Modular OWB
5 Mag carriers.

My draw beep to bang was a 1.12 best and an average around 1.50 from unconcealed hands relaxed. Thats competitive enough to make M.

As a sidearmor dealer I make it a point to fully endorse and use what I sell. A Wilderness belt works great with the Sidearmor as well as many other holsters.
Old July 14, 2004, 01:22 AM   #9
fyrestarter

I used to use a Sidearmor myself with the Glock...great holster, just not fast enough for me I still use it for carry, though.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old July 15, 2004, 10:43 AM   #10
nyetter

First thing, get a CR Speed belt.
Seriously.
Old July 18, 2004, 12:08 PM   #11
Agencyman

If I get all this cool stuff, would that make me a really "gear" guy?

Wow, the industry has responded, hasn't it? I am going to have to go slowly and check some of these out.

I have a Fobus paddle, it's OK, but I had to radius the front sight channel, as the guy at sportshooter noticed, and I even cut out a recess for the mag release. For USPSA, I will want one of those low cut in the front to get my "beep-to-bang" down a bit, since no cover is required.

For now, (mag holders), I am using the Fobus dual and a new one I ordered, Comp-Tac, so it doesn't look too "pro". Going to look into that gunbelt next.

Poverty is a terrible thing. I have to decide-ammo or gear, gear or ammo!

This has been one helpful thread. Like the moose said, "Preciate that.."

Bruce
Old July 19, 2004, 03:12 AM   #12
Radagast

I'm an A Grade shooter in IPSC production Division here in Australia.

I use a CR Speed inner and outer belt, 3 x uncle mikes double mag pouches and a Helweg LTD holster with a concealment beltplate. the LTD is suede lined and has a race cut front, so it is not IDPA legal. My gun is a Glock 17 with Hienie straight eights.

I don't mind the CR Speed as a speed holster for Standard (limited in USPSA) but I don't gain that much on the draw by using one.

Ken

PS I threw away two safariland inner and outer comp belts the week after I got my CR Speed belt. The CR Speed is stiffer, more comfortable and the velcor is the rigght way around so you won't get velcored to your car seat if you wear your inner belt to and from the range.