The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 15, 2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Siggy-06

Binocular, Monocular, Spotting, Rangefinders

Just wanted to ask what kind of optics do you guys bring hunting or for range sessions besides the optics mounted to your rifles? Do you like binoculars or monoculars? Do you ise a range finder to get dialed in just right? Need a spotting scope for a shooting partner to watch for where your shots go?

I personally have a pair of Celestron binoculars that work great for scouting around in the woods and also work great for birding. They're 8x40, multicoated, and weatherproof.

Last edited by Siggy-06; February 15, 2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old February 15, 2018, 09:22 PM   #2
HiBC

Depends on what I'm doing.

Setting up an informal range? I laser. I have an older Leica 900. Hunting? Sometimes I carry one.Often,with a trajectory that is forgiving to 300 yds plus,and knowing how to apply the mil-dot ranging technique to my duplex,I don't have to carry the rangefinder or take the time to use it within a range limit I accept.

I have an older pair of Brunton 10x x 50mm binoculars that I really enjoy. I can glass wide open country at long range and really see details.

I have some 10x 28's when I'm traveling light. Not as good,but they ARE binoculars.
Spotting scope? I have a little B+L "NRA" model from the 1930's Its 20x. I can reliably see bullet holes at 200 yds.
My 77 mm Kowa Proimar will reliably see bullet holes at 300 yds. Sometimes more. Depends on the air and the light,mirage,etc.

I mostly don't have to go downrange after I staple up targets.
Old February 15, 2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Binoculars when hunting; it's definitely uncool to glass an area with a riflescope. Some other hunter might show extreme resentment to being swept. Laser rangefinder? Maybe.

At the range, a spotting scope is helpful, particularly with .22 or 6mm.
Old February 15, 2018, 10:31 PM   #4
TXAZ

For the range (600 & 1000 yards & 1 mile) I found a used 8" Celestron telescope with a much higher magnification and erector lens for about the same as a nice 60X spotting scope. Much easier to see 1/2" holes at longer distances.

It also seems like the mirage is less with the bigger aperture.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 16, 2018, 02:25 AM   #5
taylorce1

I use 10X42 Minox BL binoculars, Leupold 1000 yard range finder, and have a Burris 20-60X80 spotting scope. I use all three for hunting and the range, I'd like to upgrade my spotting scope for hunting though to something more compact like the Nikon ED50. I'd also like to try some 15X56 binoculars for glassing from a tripod while hunting.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old February 16, 2018, 04:39 AM   #6
bamaranger

optics

While I have a number of Leupold riflescopes that I consider better than average, and some Burris riflescopes too, I do not own a really high class set of binoculars. I've worked with some relatively good stuff, but had to give them back to the agency upon retiring.

Quite a few years back, tired of working with cheap bino's that never lasted, and considering it a waste of money to spend on same, I began pressing HQ to buy better stuff. I ended up with a pair of 7x50 Steiner Mil&Marine, which lasted the remainder of my career, some 20 yrs, plus with no issues. They saw all the heavy use that you might think, though I never intentionally abused them. Subject to constant vibration in the patrol car/SUV, hauled in a backpack, out on the river when we had a patrol boat, etc. I used them enough that the rubber armor coat was worn off the frame where they were most handled. Once I left them hanging on a limb, outdoors, for a weekend. Long story, but the weather was wet. Upon realizing my error, I hustled back in there, would they be gone, soaked and ruined.? There they hung, just as I left them, absolutely fine...and for another 10 yrs to boot. We ended up getting several more pairs, but went for 10x50. The extra magnification was useful for LPN's, hull numbers, and making out facial features. But my 7x50's were always brighter in poor light and at night, and you could use them for long periods of time and never get eye strain. But you might get sore muscles, the things were huge and heavy, most useful in the vehicle, or when planted on a watch. Though initial cost was high, we likely spent less over the course of 20 yrs, for good bino's that lasted and were durable, then for $100 models (or less) that went bad in a yr or two.

But I had to give those back, and they were to heavy anyhow for most field and hunting use. My stuff is far less glamorous. A set of Japanese 10x25 bino's that have held up surprisingly well, used mostly in good light in my turkey vest for spotting strutting gobblers. A Burris 20x50 compact spotting scope, traded for, not top shelf either, but works well for bullet holes out to 200 yds. I've also packed that to overlooks to watch for gobblers on ROW's too, and it did OK. An older B&L spotting scope, 30-50x50 (?)a Baush & Lomb, marked Weatherby, and useful enought to score during my brief dabbling in FTR shooting. My GP binoculars for many years was an older set of Japanese Yashica's, 7x35, but they finally went out of phase. Recently I bought a pair of Bushnell 8x42's when a Gander Mtn closed locally. Probably $150.00 binos that I got for a song and I have been pleased with them so far. Carried them a lot this deer season, very useful size in a treestand in the hardwoods, and not to overly bulky to have around your neck when on foot, but I wouldn't want anything bigger for that use.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:49 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use one of these while hunting and I really can't complain for that use. My max range for a shot is 200 yards, so I am not pushing the optic. I also have a variable, I think, 7-10 or something which actually has higher magnification. I'm not particularly careful with it and it has held up for a few years. I tried to use it as a spotting scope at 100 yards. It didn't work at all.

I have a much larger much nicer spotting scope branded Winchester and I have used various US military spotting scopes and recently was amazed by a set of field glasses found in a bird watching friend owner closet at a vacation rental property. Retail was $750. I decided I would be researching my next field glasses on bird watcher forums.
Old February 16, 2018, 12:53 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If all you need of a spotting scope is .22 holes at 100 yards, an el-cheapo 20-60 from WalMart will work. They usually work okay from 20X to 40X.
Old February 16, 2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Don Fischer

My shooting range is the county gravel pit abut 2 miles from here. have my own portable bench and 100yds range. Sometime I take my range finder, don't know why as I never take it hunting. My 8x35 binoculars are always in the console in the Bronco and I have my $89 Winchester 12-60 spoting scope, I never go over about 20x as then I can't find anything and I can see my bullet holes at 12x. So I shot a group, go to the spotting scope to look at it than walk to the target to look at it one more time. Give's the barrel time to cool!
Old February 16, 2018, 04:30 PM   #10
jmr40

I have several pairs of binoculars that go hunting. Some big, some smaller depending on the situation. A pair of Leupold Katmai's in 6X32 is the most commonly carried. They are now discontinued. I've thought about monocular's but don't feel the weight savings is worth it.

I do have a range finder and it is usually in my pack. Not always used, but I do have one.

I could probably use a good spotting scope. I don't have one and should probably correct that.

Winston Churchill
Old February 16, 2018, 05:19 PM   #11
OzeanJaeger

I think the Vortex spotting scopes are still the best value on the market.

A good set of 10X50 Binos will work to a couple of hundred yards. It would have to be a very high end rangefinder to work as a spotting scope...
Old February 16, 2018, 05:37 PM   #12
Hawg

The only time I use binoculars is hunting. I have an older pair of Swarovski 10 x 40 EL I use for that.
Old February 16, 2018, 05:46 PM   #13
DPI7800

I run Swarovski 8.5X42 binos a Leica 1100 rangefinder Swarovski 20-60X80 spotting scope, and my primary hunting rifle sports a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X56 with the NPR-2 reticle.

I always have my binos and rangefinder with me but the spotter is dependent upon if I will be in an area that affords me the opportunity to sit and glass longer distances.
Old February 16, 2018, 06:13 PM   #14
lefteye

I have a Swarovski SLC 10x42 binocular and a Leica rangefinder. Both are excellent quality. I've shot my daughter's father-in-law's rifle with a Nightforce scope (at his private range on his land) - that scope is truly awesome but well beyond my budget.
Old February 17, 2018, 12:49 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...partner to watch for where your shots go..." Waste of time when hunting. If a bullet lands close to an animal, said animal will either ignore it or head for the high lonesome at high speed. Mostly a Hollywood 'sniper' movie thing anyway.
What you carry is mostly about where you're carrying it. Not a lot of 'up' in Florida compared to some places. So the extra weight doesn't matter too much.
10X50 binoculars can weigh about 2 pounds. 10 x 25's weigh half a pound and fit in a pocket. FOV is about the same. 285 feet at 1,000 yards.
Old February 17, 2018, 01:04 PM   #16
MarkCO

I use a 10x Monocular and a SigKilo2000 when hunting. At matches, I use Burris 10x HD binoculars and the SigKilo2000. At the range, I use a spotting scope and the SigKilo2000.