The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old August 5, 2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Bottom Gun

Brass from GrizzlyTargets.com - Negative Review

I recently bought a quantity of “fully processed” .223 brass from www.grizzlytargets.com.
This was the most pathetic attempt at brass processing I have ever seen. I should have sent it all back for a refund immediately but I had an upcoming varmint hunt I needed to load ammo for so I kept it and salvaged what I could. Approximately one in every five cases had to be discarded for various reasons. Many of the case mouths were folded over and many more were so ragged they looked like they had been trimmed with a chain saw. The remainder, although dirty and stained, looked OK so I primed it all and started loading. That was a big mistake because I never thought to check the sizing with my case gauge until it was too late. I wrongly assumed it had all been sized properly.
I knew something was amiss when I couldn’t chamber a round in one of my varmint rifles that has a tight chamber. Only then did I think to use my case gauge. I discovered approximately half of the remaining brass had not been properly sized. So now I have to pull the bullets from a lot of cases.
I sent an email to the guys who sold me this junk commenting about the poor quality of their processing but, as I expected, never received a reply.
In case you were wondering, I have been reloading precision rifle ammunition for 41 years so I kinda know what I’m doing. I will NEVER do business with this outfit again. That was my unpleasant experience with Grizzly Targets.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old August 27, 2016, 08:38 AM   #2
tucker251

Their website is down too. Doesnt seem like a product I would want to invest in. Thanks for the heads up!
Old August 27, 2016, 10:06 AM   #3
mehavey

You loaded cases without resizing first ?
(I don't even do that with virgin Starline)
Old August 27, 2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Bottom Gun

This was purchased as fully processed brass. It was supposed to be already sized, trimmed and ready to prime. You wouldn't expect fully processed brass to require resizing or at least I didn't.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old August 27, 2016, 11:41 AM   #5
mehavey

FWIW: Always resize/uniform brass -- no matter what the source or reputed condition.
As I mentioned... even Starline, Lapua, etc, etc go through the die 1st off the chocks.