The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Saltydog235

Back The Truck Up

Sat last night in a stand that has only been a hog magnet all season. Fact of the matter is that is all that has been seen or killed on the stand. Its sort of why I went, either shoot a pig or a doe. Never thought that I have a nice buck come out in decent shooting light at that. We're supposed to be in the rut but this deer walked up and started feeding, tarsals are still light and he didn't stink. Weird weather, weird season.

Anyway, I have a rule on 10 point bucks, they get shot.

150grn Nolser CT Ballistic Tip to the high shoulder. Bang/Flop, back the truck up. Weighed in at 172lbs, respectable for a swamp donkey.

Yesterday was the 3rd anniversary of my father's passing, I cannot help but think he was smiling down on me for this to happen.

Old October 25, 2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Doyle

Nice deer. I noticed a tag on the antler. So SC is still requiring tags on harvested deer? I thought they were going to drop that.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:54 AM   #3
sc outdoorsman

Nice buck Saltydog. It's nice when things work out that well. It looks like your having a great season.

The rut is just starting here and the deer are becoming a little more active. The next few weeks should be the prime part of the season.

Doyle, I am not positive but, I think that is a tag from the processor. We have to put tags bought from the state on does here if they are not killed on doe day or the club is using state herd management program doe tags. As far as I know no tags are needed on bucks.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:08 AM   #4
hooligan1

Beautiful buck Salty,,Congrats!
Old October 25, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Hunter Customs

Nice buck, congradulations.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 25, 2012, 08:47 AM   #6
AllenJ

Very nice buck, congrats.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Saltydog235

That's a processor's tag. We only have to tag a doe if we take them on a day that isn't either sex which is usually weekdays from Oct 1 to Dec 31 as most Fri and Sat's are doe days.

Thanks, the club has been good to hunt so far. We have a 2 buck limit there so I am done on bucks out there. I have a big old, marsh goat over on my property I am going to try and get. He takes refuge over there from being pressured every day on surrounding property.

Beena good season of late, but surprisingly I haven't had a decent shot on a sookie all year. Heck I've seen 3X as many bucks as does this season.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
cdmckane

Looks like you have the same rules about 10 pointers that I do!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 25, 2012, 01:40 PM   #9
SPEMack618

Nice buck, Saltydog.

Couldn't help but notice that you're near Hemingway, SC.

A Fraternity Brother of mine is from up that way, hunts too. Small world.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

That one will fill up the 'Ol freezer some. Nice go'in Saltydog235.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nice one!
172 pounds is a good deer, even up here.
10 points is goood anywhere.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:30 PM   #12
2damnold4this

Great deer!
Old October 25, 2012, 05:54 PM   #13
brmfan

Nice one!
Old October 25, 2012, 10:28 PM   #14
BLUETIP

Makin' my mouth water, just recently moved and don't know if i'll get the chance to bag one on my little five acres. They're here but we're heavily populated. Nice goin' on a dandy buck
Old October 26, 2012, 12:55 AM   #15
warbirdlover

You guys can rifle hunt deer now? We get one week at the end of November. The bowhunters get all the rest.

Oh yeah. Nice buck!
Old October 26, 2012, 06:25 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Nice deer. Our gun season starts November 10th and seeing your deer gets my blood up.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:07 AM   #17
Saltydog235

Our season opens up on September 1 for rifle and extends to January 1 with doe days beginning around the first of October on weekends usually through the end of the season.

You can hunt with a rifle, bow, shotgun, crossbows, slingshots, dogs, trucks etc. Bowhunters can hunt on August 15 if they want to. Our season's are liberal and wide open as we have a lot of deer.

Thanks for all the compliments, its been a great season. I'm setting up a ground blind today or tomorrow so I can start taking my 4yo boy some. That should be interesting, I'm real serious and structured in my methods, patience will be a virtue.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:48 AM   #18
SPEMack618

I've always found it more rewarding, and challenging, to hunt from ground level.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:15 AM   #19
cdmckane

I've always found the meat tastes the same no matter where my feet are when I drop the hammer.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 26, 2012, 09:21 AM   #20
ChasingWhitetail91

Not big into heights myself, a quick ground blind does the trick, nice buck. drive some up my way.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:22 AM   #21
Doyle

Quote:
I've always found it more rewarding, and challenging, to hunt from ground level
I'd agree with you there in principal. However, in practice there are many places where ground hunting significantly reduces your chance of even seeing a deer. If you ever get to walk around in an area covered with palmettos, you'll see what I'm talking about. You sound like a heard of cows while walking through them and you can't see squat more than a few yards ahead.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:38 AM   #22
Saltydog235

We have low box stands as well as ladder stands on the club. I prefer the ladder stands because they get me up in the air and allow me to see "down" into the cover a little better. The areas I like to hunt the most are thick, swampy, brush choked areas with shooting lanes that have to be cut in and cleaned up every year. Down my way, you don't see a big buck come out into open unsheltered areas very often. They tend to prefer areas where relative safety is a step or two away. They don't get big and old by being stupid and careless and they'll stay off in the woods 200yds and pick you up in a heartbeat even in a stand. Contrary to some beliefs, deer do look up.

That buck came out and went to the feeder where I got a count on his rack. However I couldn't get a measure of his width. I got the gun in position and down on the scope, then made a slight clicking sound to get him to look up. I knew when he did, it could be a quick shot. He looked up and I measured him. He put his head back down and I put 2lbs of pressure on the Timney and sent 150grns of 7mm08 BT into the high shoulder. I had to take the drop him there shot as it was incredibly thick and I didn't want to track him through that hog/snake infested area in the growing dusk.

The thing is right before he came out, I had been thinking of Dad and all the hunting and fishing trips we had. I was also thinking about my boys and how I wanted to pass those same memories and lessons on to them. Call it divine providence, luck or whatever but this is one that is going to stick with me a lot more than some other hunts. He isn't my biggest but definitely the most memorable other than my first little 6 point.
Old October 26, 2012, 05:39 PM   #23
warbirdlover

We hunt a woods with rolling hills and oak trees. My (ground) box stand sits on top of one of the highest hills. I had a rickety, old elevated box stand there and I can see just as well from the ground.