The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Thirties

Accurate Arms #2 -- let's talk . . .

I mostly load .45auto & .38spl.

I picked up some cans of AA#2 and have not had any problems with it.

Although I've been reloading ammo for over 5 yrs, I admit I'm not more than a hobby loader, and not a particularly scientific one at that (scientific analysis methods). I am careful and precise (used to be a printer), and have never had an accident.

I load for plinking (personal enjoyment), so it may not matter a great deal which of the appropriate powders I use.

But I am curious what others think of this powder, especially in .45acp (1911A1) and .38spl (d/a revolvers). It seems to me to be less discussed than others such at Titegroup, W321, Bulleye.

So post your thoughts here.

Thanks . . .
Old November 17, 2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Sam06

AA makes a good powder. I use AA#5 in 45 acp and AA#9 in 41 and 44 Mag. I have NOT used AA#2 yet and I very seldom reload 38 spl. I like the AA powders because they flow well in my 550, fill the case and are consistent.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Wleoff

AA#2 was what I first used in 45 Colt when I started shooting cowboy action, SASS, in the mid 90s. It's not position sensitive and a little goes a long way. Accurate, too. I now use Titegroup in 45 Colt. Don't remember why I changed. May have just been availability. Still use AA#2 in .38 Special and 9mm. Just be very careful with double charging.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Blue Grass

Accurate, clean, consistent, cheap, and meters well. What's not to like? AA is my favorite brand of pistol powder. They make a powder for all calibers and they're all good.
Old November 17, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
medalguy

I agree. I used AA #2 until very recently when I ran out of the stockpile I had which was considerable. Now I'm starting to use #5 and it works very well also in 9mm. Flows and measures very well and a little goes a long way. Good stuff #2!
Old November 17, 2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Thirties

Thanks, folks. I'll be loading some .38spl with #2 this week.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Bluesfan

I have used several pounds of AA#2. Works great in 45acp,38spl. It will work in any cartridge that one would use bullseye. Seems to be cleaner burning and slightly more economical than bullseye.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Be careful that you make sure of which #2 you have. There's #2, and there's #2 improved. IIRC, you don't want to mix these and I think there's different load charges for each in some cartridges.

It's a clean, efficient burning powder. The problem I've had with it is it crept past the seal on my old Lee powder measure. It was annoying. When I upgraded to the Hornady Lock 'N' Load AP, a fuller-volume case charge would spill out when cycling. And the LNL is one of the gentlest cycling systems out there.

I ended up switching to Hodgdon powders for the most part. If you're wanting to stick with AA#2, you won't be disappointed. It's a great powder.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 17, 2009, 09:57 PM   #9
RamSlammer

I like AA#2 and use it in .38, .45 ACP and even some reduced .357 loads. Very clean burning and, well, accurate. Have to remember not to put too much in the powder hopper as a little loads many rounds and its so fine grained as well. Meters like water in my Lee Pro Auto Disk.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:05 PM   #10
alfack

I like it for .380, 9mm and .45.

About the original vs. "improved" issue. I recently went through this conundrum and found out that the charge weights are the same, between the two. The only thing that changed was the density of the powder. I.e., the same weight of "improved" would fill the case more than the original.

I have to admit it's my favorite all around pistol powder.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Walkalong

AA # 2 is excellent in .45 ACP, as are others like AA #5, N310, N320, Zip, Competition, just to name a couple.

AA #2 gives as good or better, usually much better, ES & SD numbers than any powder I have tried in .45, and that is quite a few.

Quote:
The only thing that changed was the density of the powder
Agreed.

When I used up all my "improved" AA #2 I bought a one lb can of the newer stuff. It passed all my tests so I bought a 4 pounder recently.
Old November 19, 2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Thirties

AA#2 Improved 2.7 grain
.38spl Speer lead HBWC 148 grain
COL: 1.156"
primer: WSP
brass: new Starline
crimp: moderate roll crimp

Shot 30 rounds though my S&W 3" model 36 this morning.
Excellent accuracy and comfortable recoil. This is a keeper.

Thanks all . . .