The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 10, 2018, 02:05 PM   #1
fast20

reciprocity ccdw carry in north and south carolina.. traveling from ky

i will be traveling from kentucky to south carolina this summer... i have done some research but would like to have some clearer answers..
TN was awesome getting back with me and my question.. SC gave me a number to call.. no answer... going to try to call NC ... i thought yall on here could help me in the meantime. i know some of these question are common sense, but i would love some input...

Questions:
1. im traveling as a passenger... for comfort i would like not to keep my weapon on my body... where can i put it and be legal.. can i put it in a small pack next to me?? other info i may need to know is very welcome.

2. as the passenger, if driver is pulled over, am i responsible for notifying the leo if he/she does not address me.. should i tell them either way.. which i would if i were driving.

3. i like to travel with 2 weapons.. one for carry... smaller... and one for house, condo, room defence... the other weapon will be in my luggage.. do i need to lock it a container... do i need to lock the ammo in another container.

4. if i go to an establishment the prohibits firearms.. how do i store it in the car legally...

5. is carry in rest areas legal

6. carry in food establishments that serve alcohol as long as im not partaking in adult beverage.. what if ive left my weapon in the car, i have had a few drinks... the driver is sober (which he also has ccdw) what should i do... i know i can be in possession.. but does having it in the trunk, locked and unloaded count as possession by a person consuming alcohol..(make sense??) just thinking of worse case scenarios...

7. any crazy knife laws... in ky we have concealed carry deadly weapon... so im covered here for any knife.. some states that i have seen have really crazy knife laws...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP..
RANDY FAST20
Old July 10, 2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

www.handgunlaw.us

It's imposible to answer your question without knowing where you live, and what states you have carry permits for/from. Since you may not want to divulge that information, use Handgun Law to review.

My fuzzy recollection is that South Carolina isn't great on reciprocity. That said, it appears that they will honor a Kentucky permit -- if you live in Kentucky, and if you have a Kentucky carry permit.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:09 AM   #3
fast20

@Aguila Blanca ... Thank you.. im from ky, and do have my ccdw as we call it in ky.. concealed carry deadly weapon... i did use handgunlaws.us and it was very helpful.. any other information that can be provided will be appreciated.. thanks
Old July 11, 2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Keep in mind that your Kentucky permit includes knives in Kentucky, but it doesn't include knives in states whose own carry permits are for firearms only. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Reciprocity means the other state allows you to comply with their laws while you are within their jurisdiction.
Old July 11, 2018, 12:06 PM   #5
KyJim

I'm a lawyer in Kentucky with a CCL (I guess what you call it depends on locality) and I am hesitant in traveling out-of-state while carrying concealed. I doubt you'll get anyone to give opinions on other-state concealed carry laws.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Maui19

Here are the applicable laws in SC: http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx

Basically you can carry a handgun in a car without a permit as long as it is stored in a glove box, center console, luggage compartment or other enclosed area.

IMO, it is worth reading those three sections in their entirety.
Old August 14, 2018, 08:23 PM   #7
Howland

SC is a duty to notify state but the USA Carry site says SC has reciprocity with KY.

Definitely check out the SLED site @Maui19 posted above. SLED is South Carolina Law Enforcement Division. That will be the authoritive source so you can just skip USA Carry. Pay particular attention to the roughly dozen or so broad categories of places that are Bill of Rights free zones. Don't get jacked up.

Welcome to the Palmetto State.