The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 6, 2014, 09:20 AM   #26
gyvel

OK, I only have 36 years as a gunsmith, and 57 years as a collector, so I guess I'm wrong. Believe what you want.

Last edited by gyvel; June 6, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old June 6, 2014, 11:29 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I only have 36 years as a gunsmith"

Cool. Dueling gunsmiths!

Refinished revolvers at dawn!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 6, 2014, 04:37 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

One sign of a problem is the pitting on the right side of the barrel where it looks like they didn't bother to brush it. Another is the lengthwise striations on the trigger guard. Polishing that area at the factory was done with a wheel shaped to match the shape of the frame, so the operator "rolled" the gun against the wheel. The result is that polishing marks on the trigger guard, the frame area behind it, and the area in front of it, all have polishing marks running crossways.

Any polishing marks running lengthwise on the trigger guard were not put there by the factory.

I can see why it might be hard to say that a crude-looking finish is not factory. One of my Colt 1917's (Army number 80719) has a factory finish only a little less rough than that gun. But the markings are sharp and clear, the barrel markings are clear and intact, and the "pony" is sharp and fresh. I will still hold that that gun has been refinished.

Jim
Old June 7, 2014, 10:38 PM   #29
gyvel

Quote:
The result is that polishing marks on the trigger guard, the frame area behind it, and the area in front of it, all have polishing marks running crossways.
Jim, all of my 1917 Colts have "crossways" polishing marks on and behind the trigger guard. Also, the gun in the auction has little or no finish left on the trigger bow itself.

Sorry; But I still just don't see it. Since I guess nobody is going to buy the gun to verify, we'll all have to agree to disagree.
Old June 8, 2014, 04:20 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will be happy to buy that gun, just give me your credit card number!

Jim