The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 18, 2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Venom1956

4" M&P 1905 Pre War nickel?

I just bought this off a guy at work said he needed fast cash and had a Smith and Wesson.

Just looked like a nickel model 10 last night with nice target grips. It was a favor so I honestly didn't really care, and I was tired and cold, so I didn't look very close.

Now this morning Im looking at it again and it seems to be a 5 screw nickel 1905? stamped 10052 on the crane? serial is 388xxx? I am not up to snuff on my pre model guns so any info you guys can get me is appreciated. Shame it doesn't have the original grips.

E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 18, 2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Jim Watson

It is in the large block of Fourth Change guns made from 1915 til 1942.
It is from early in that period, the "mushroom head" extractor rod shows it was pre-1930. If the markings were legible, it could be tied down a little closer. Somebody on the S&W board would likely have one close, although that is not a guarantee because Smith did not ship in serial number order.

There should be a letter on the bottom barrel flat next to the serial number.
N or B? That shows the original finish, nickel or blue.
Old April 18, 2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Venom1956

I can get better pictures of the markings I just snapped some quick ones to get an over all picture. No N or B on the barrel flat there is a N by the mainspring on the frame. Ill get some more pictures when I have time.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 18, 2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Good, that N means it is factory nickel.
Old April 18, 2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Venom1956

Any idea what grips would've been on it? Guy I bought it from if willing to check if he has them but needs to know what to look for.

I'm assuming it's the little half grips did they have Smith logo?
Old April 18, 2018, 07:51 PM   #6
lamarw

I have serial number 577063 (M&P Model 1905 4th Change). It was shipped from the factory on Nov. 29, 1929 and shipped to Allen and Jemison Company (hardware company) in Tuscaloosa, AL.

You have a beautiful 5 screw revolver significantly earlier than mine. You may want to get it lettered by the S&W Historical Association. The stocks (grip) on mine are original and is checkered walnut with a diamond escutcheon around the stock screw. The top portion of the stock are plain. (see attached picture) It is possible your earlier version may of come with hard rubber stocks. I do not know. A Letter would identify the type of stocks. Mine is blued with a 5" barrel. It is in decent condition but not in as nice of a condition as yours. As Jim stated yours was factory nickeled if it shows the N under the barrel flat visible with the cylinder opened. This is where mine is marked with a B for blued along with the serial number as is the serial number on the butt and on the face of the cylinder. Yours could of been re-nickeled at some point, but I am no expert to make such a determination. Often these determinations are made by observing the amount of buffing leaving less crisp emblems, letter and corners to the right side plate. It would be hard to tell with your photos.

The heat treated cylinders began with SN: 316648. The factory nickel version are worth a premium. In excellent condition (if not re-nickeled) your revolver would be worth around $600.00 plus the premium for a factory nickel finish. The book "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" 4th Ed. by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas does not mention the premium value.

Here is a picture of my revolver's left stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model 1905 4th Change Stock.jpg (115.3 KB, 25 views)
Old April 18, 2018, 09:42 PM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

This old M&P is SN 3394XX. It shipped in May of 1920. Although they have a lot of wear on them, these are the grips this revolver shipped with. This style of grips was used from 1920 to about 1929. Notice the grips are convex at the top.

The photo of a grip that lamarw posted is what these grips looked like when they were new.

While it is true that S&W often did not ship revolvers in Serial Number order, it is a safe bet that yours shipped a bit after mine.

This 38 M&P Target Model shipped in 1917. This is style of grips was used from roughly 1910 to 1920. Notice the recessed gold medalions.

An even earlier style of grips, from about 1904 to about 1910. Notice these grips are convex, or 'flattened' on top.

P.S. the number stamped under the yoke is just an assembly number and has no meaning.
Old April 18, 2018, 09:55 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Thanks. Too bad the SCSW doesn't include such tidbits.
Old April 18, 2018, 10:07 PM   #9
lamarw

Revolvers with some character. I particularly like the target model with I suspect a 6" barrel. Don't see too many of those around.
Old April 18, 2018, 10:50 PM   #10
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Thanks. Too bad the SCSW doesn't include such tidbits.
If you're talking about the different styles of grips, the SCSW does.

Up front.
Old April 18, 2018, 11:14 PM   #11
Ibmikey

The grips are from the late seventies—eighties, earlier ones were dished out but not cut out for the speed loader. The pistol is nice and the grips would sell for over a $100.
Old April 19, 2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Jim Watson

Quote:
If you're talking about the different styles of grips, the SCSW does.
Well, sure enough, there it is. I was looking under the gun sections.
Old April 19, 2018, 02:15 PM   #13
RickB

Action shot of my nickeled, '05 4th Change.
The grips are like those in Driftwood's first pic, slightly rounded at the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0080_01.JPG (78.5 KB, 36 views)
Old April 19, 2018, 04:09 PM   #14
HighValleyRanch

^^^^
Cool photo of weak hand reloading technique with the smoke still coming out of the barrel!