The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2018, 03:30 PM   #1
JDBerg

Just Saw a Guy Transfer A Perfect 6” Model 19 Nickel Finish to Another Friend

For $650.00! Guy selling it had all of $250.00 in it from 20 years ago and claimed to have about 20 rounds through it in all that time. Based on the cut of this one, believe it. Perfect S&W target grips on it. Guy behind the counter who was only making transfer costs on it suggested putting a Hogue rubber grip on it to soak up th recoil(?!), I’m assuming he’s a) Crazy, b) Kidding, or c) Both.

Friends are priceless but a friend selling a perfect S&W revolver at least three & a half under legitimate market value is amazing! The only thing that would have topped it is if the seller was MY friend!
Old April 14, 2018, 08:05 PM   #2
dubsRedhawk

Then I guess I'm doing good too. Just bought this mint and in the box 19-3 for $750. It's a great argument for unfired. Found it on Armslist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2181.jpg (62.3 KB, 187 views)
Old April 15, 2018, 06:02 AM   #3
CajunBass

Quote:
Guy behind the counter who was only making transfer costs on it suggested putting a Hogue rubber grip on it to soak up th recoil(?!), I’m assuming he’s a) Crazy, b) Kidding, or c) Both.
What's wrong with putting rubber grips on it? They do help absorb recoil if you're sensitive to that. Smith & Wesson target grips, while I think they're beautiful, they do tend to act like a wood rasp on one's hand (at least on mine anyway) when shooting heavy loads. When I was a youngster, the first thing people did when they bought a new S&W was take the cheese graters off and put on a set of Hogues, or Pachmayrs. Then they threw the box, papers and original grips in the trash. Who knew that stuff would be valuable sometime in the future.

Today of course we know better than to toss that stuff, but there's no reason one can't keep the pretty wood for show, and save the "goodyears" for go.

Besides, I think Hogues and Pachmayr's look like serious business. A couple of my guns wear them, and the wood is safe in the "junk drawer." Just keep the area under them oiled, or even better, waxed to help prevent rusting.

(Also, from the dealers point of view the Hogues were probably the only grip he had to sell, so it wouldn't hurt his feelings if the friend had bought a set.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 15, 2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Nathan

I too consider rubber grips on an older Smith blasphemy! Even if they feel better, I see no value in putting heavy loads through a collectible piece. Shooting it, yes, but not with high end loads.
Old April 15, 2018, 09:23 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post

Friends are priceless but a friend selling a perfect S&W revolver at least three & a half under legitimate market value is amazing! The only thing that would have topped it is if the seller was MY friend!
One wonders if the seller knew what he really had and it's real value. Not everyone that owns a older firearm is aware of how they have appreciated. Now if the buyer knew and was taking advantage of his friends ignorance and/or extreme generousity........he ain't much of a friend.

Quote:
Guy behind the counter who was only making transfer costs on it suggested putting a Hogue rubber grip on it to soak up th recoil(?!), I’m assuming he’s a) Crazy, b) Kidding, or c) Both.
Why is it buyers nowadays are so interested in guns having the "original" grips? Because it was so common for owners to take them off and discard them for something that fit their hands and shot more comfortably. Just like today. I am one of those folks that prefers function over form. Comfort over beauty. While I don't discard original grips, I do change them regularly on my revolvers for something better. If the buyer is acquiring the gun as a shooter, odds are he will change the grips. If it's a collector item not to be shot, probably not.
Old April 15, 2018, 10:42 AM   #6
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR:
One wonders if the seller knew what he really had and it's real value. Not everyone that owns a older firearm is aware of how they have appreciated. Now if the buyer knew and was taking advantage of his friends ignorance and/or extreme generousity........he ain't much of a friend.
The store owner doing told both buyer & seller that this Model 19 was worth substantially more than what it was being sold for. They had an agreed upon price before they came into the gun store to do the transfer. I understand that the buyer could be taking advantage of the seller, after all he paid $250.00 for this gun 20 yrs. earlier. I think it would have been equally unethical if the seller then turned around & told the buyer that the selling price was $1,000.00 instead of $650.00, based on what he’d found out in the store.
Old April 15, 2018, 10:53 AM   #7
KEYBEAR

We use the word Friend when they are really just people we share an interest with .
If you do have a friend you are very lucky some go a life time an never have a real Friend ,
Old April 15, 2018, 11:03 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Why is it buyers nowadays are so interested in guns having the "original" grips? Because it was so common for owners to take them off and discard them for something that fit their hands and shot more comfortably.
One of my friends stands firm in his belief, (and I can't say he's wrong) that S&W must have owned a good chunk of Pachmayr, etc. stock.

For several decades the FIRST thing nearly everyone did was to take off the S&W grips and put "Pacs" or something similar, on.

I don't have any issue with recoil in K frames and wood stocks, you really can't put the real heavy stuff into a K frame. N frames, on the other hand are a different matter.

The friend who sells to you at well below current market is a great friend.

The buddy who pays you high market (or above!!) and insists you not take less, is your best friend!

The one who does both can marry my daughter!
(assuming she agreed, of course, )
Old April 15, 2018, 12:13 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
The store owner doing told both buyer & seller that this Model 19 was worth substantially more than what it was being sold for. They had an agreed upon price before they came into the gun store to do the transfer. I understand that the buyer could be taking advantage of the seller, after all he paid $250.00 for this gun 20 yrs. earlier. I think it would have been equally unethical if the seller then turned around & told the buyer that the selling price was $1,000.00 instead of $650.00, based on what he’d found out in the store.
My point was, friends do not take advantage of friends. If the value of the gun was known by all, than I see no issue. I do not think it would have been unethical for the seller to change their mind of they found out the gun was worth substantially more than they thought......happens all the time. A good friend would not have a problem with that....most would offer their friend more once that was found out. If the value was known ahead of time, then there's not a issue. We also don't know what else may have been involved besides just the gun. I have bought guns off my friends for less than what they were worth when they fell upon hard times and needed cash, with the agreement I would sell it back to them for the same price if and when they had the cash to do it. I have done work for friends that sold me guns for considerably less than they were worth as part of my payment. Does CO. make the FFL collect the sales tax on the firearm at transfer?
Old April 15, 2018, 12:34 PM   #10
KEYBEAR

Does CO. make the FFL collect the sales tax on the firearm at transfer?

Not sure they can I know Indiana dose not but other states may .
I have bought a lot of firearms in Ohio as I understand each county is different .
A good size gun shop in Findlay Ohio charges tax on your trade . I never trade in that gun shop and will drive to look then go home and buy on line to save tax .
Old April 15, 2018, 12:51 PM   #11
Ricklin

Keybear, You may want to rethink your post.
Old April 15, 2018, 01:31 PM   #12
bn12gg

Goodyears on a mint .38/357 revolver bleh. Recoil uncomfortable, stick with the 22's.

.02. David.
Old April 15, 2018, 01:35 PM   #13
KEYBEAR

Ricklin

Thank You I guess ???
Old April 15, 2018, 02:14 PM   #14
USSR

Just Saw a Guy Transfer A Perfect 6” Model 19 Nickel Finish to Another Friend

Then you should have been there when I transferred a perfect blued 4" Model 19-4 to my friend for $0.00.

Don
Old April 15, 2018, 02:49 PM   #15
AK103K

Hey, if youre interested......

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/763753756

Looks like the original owner likes the Pacs too.

I shoot everything I buy, and prefer the Houges over pretty much anything else. There are a few that Ive kept the original stocks on, and they get a Tyler T Grip as well. The Houges still give a better grip though and make the gun more shootable. Its not about the recoil either.

I also prefer the backstrap against my hand, and not that rubber offset with the rounded knife edge that what S&W puts on them these days. Makes the trigger all wrong, and focuses all the recoil into the edge on the back of the grips.

But hey, whatever works. Right?
Old April 15, 2018, 03:41 PM   #16
Danoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
My point was, friends do not take advantage of friends. If the value of the gun was known by all, than I see no issue. I do not think it would have been unethical for the seller to change their mind of they found out the gun was worth substantially more than they thought......happens all the time. A good friend would not have a problem with that....most would offer their friend more once that was found out. If the value was known ahead of time, then there's not a issue. We also don't know what else may have been involved besides just the gun. I have bought guns off my friends for less than what they were worth when they fell upon hard times and needed cash, with the agreement I would sell it back to them for the same price if and when they had the cash to do it. I have done work for friends that sold me guns for considerably less than they were worth as part of my payment. Does CO. make the FFL collect the sales tax on the firearm at transfer?
One friend got a great gun, the other got a great price. I don't see a problem with that.
Two of my friends got into an argument over a parking ticket, one time. Neither wanted
to pay the ticket. My response to them was "I'LL pay the ticket, rather than see either of you come to grief over it. But I have to wonder, why don't either of you feel the same way?"

As to the really nice wood grips, Barbecue Guns need grips, too. But I Hogue most of my shooters, also.
Old April 16, 2018, 02:57 PM   #17
walnut1704

Sometimes sellers just don't want the hassle of auctions, shipping, transfers. A guy at my club offered me a pristine late 60's Model 14 for $500. It was worth a bit more, but he wanted an easy sale to somebody he could trust. It was more of a shooter's price rather than a collector's price.
Old April 17, 2018, 07:55 AM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
One friend got a great gun, the other got a great price. I don't see a problem with that.
I don't really see a problem either, but I do disagree. The same fella got the great gun and the great price. The other one sold a great gun for bottom dollar. Had this thread been about some dude buying the gun for the same price from a widow and everyone would be having a hissy fit. I wasn't the one making the noise over the price, the OP was, just like the noise over the so called "cardinal" sin of puttin' rubber grips on it to shoot. As for the parking ticket, I ain't gonna pay for a friends stupidity and I doubt if I have any friends that would expect me to. Nor would I expect or allow them to pay for my stupidity. Kinda boils down to the definition of what a "friend" is. That is just the point I was trying to make. What two "friends" determine to be a fair price, is between them, as long as one of them is not taking advantage. That's where friendship ends.
Old April 17, 2018, 11:11 AM   #19
jackmoser65

Who cares? I got a similar gun for $700 last year. I'm sure if the guy had bought the gun from the shop for $650, everyone would be back-slappin' for the good deal he got. What's the difference? How much would that shop have offered the guy for the gun, $300? Greed takes many forms, not just the obvious.

How is what one person pays another for their property anyone's business but their own? Seems a lot of people are busy bodies and need to have a say on how much profit shops make as well.

Rubber grips belong in the garbage can.
Old April 17, 2018, 10:02 PM   #20
Eazyeach

$650 is a decent price. For both parties I think. You can get a 19 around here for$750-$800. Never seen one go for $1000. That’s silly.

Well I guess if it’s a -1 or -2 then it’s probably worth more than $1000. What dash was it?
Old April 18, 2018, 07:45 AM   #21
shurshot

I recently picked up a 19-3 .357 Combat Magnum snubby, MINT, with Tyler T grip adapter, no box, for $550 from an old buddy. He would have accepted 500, but I offered 550, to avoid any guilt on my part. I doubt there was more than a cylinder full through it.
Old April 27, 2018, 11:31 PM   #22
bluetopper

Do some states require you to go through an FFL in a private sale even though the buy and seller reside in the same state?
Old May 14, 2018, 05:21 AM   #23
J.G. Terry

Constant Dollars

Figure what that $250.00's worth today. I picked up a nice 19-4 some years back for less than $400.00 from a dealer. Looked up the price on a auction site. Those handgun have an asking price nearly twice what this handgun cost. Guns are the same. Our money is no good!
Old May 14, 2018, 08:02 AM   #24
Real Gun

I don't see how a 19, pinned and recessed, fired, and nickel plated in nice condition would be worth $1000. My 19-4, nickel 4" was $800, and I thought I was paying a premium. That $650 sounds like no worse than "a good deal". The first thing I did was replace the original grips but with wooden Eagles. That gun is a pain monkey with full power ammo, so I reload a mid level round for it. The gun was too tight for lead bullets, so in opening up the throats the plating immediately peeled around the cylinder face...off to Mahovsky's Metalife and now like new but invested with about $100 more. Point being that like most of my guns, it was a work in progress and only an initial investment.
Old May 16, 2018, 09:39 AM   #25
Rangegod

Friend?

Not really a great friend. I picked up this unfired 19 for $400 (she would have accepted $350 but then I would have felt guilty).

And this unfired 66 no dash with box & accessories for $625 OTD

Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W19 3.JPG (187.2 KB, 211 views)