The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 14, 2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Double Naught Spy

Deer Rescue While Hog Hunting

Well, I didn't get to shoot anything last night, but I did rescue a deer. She was caught up in the fence, body across the top wire, hind legs having going through between the top wire and the next wire. They could not reach the ground. She was exhausted and in considerable distress. Not my normal night of hunting...

https://youtu.be/S8IkkPCxRAs
Old March 14, 2018, 04:59 PM   #2
lefteye

I was shocked when I saw this because I did the same thing many years ago at first light on a shotgun deer hunt. I saw a small deer with one rear leg caught between two strands of barbed wire. The farm house was very close and some lights were on. I drove back to the house and knocked on the door. The farmer came to the door, I explained to him that a small deer was caught in his fence and asked him if he had any tool that I could use to cut the barbed wire to free the deer. He quickly got a strong pair of wire cutters or tin snips and gave them to me. I went to the deer an dcut one barbed wire and the deer hopped away without appearing to be injured. I returned the tool to the farmer and thanked him for helping me free the deer. I'd swear on a stack of bibles this is the truth and that is why I was shocked when I saw this post. It makes me wonder how often deer are caught in barbed wire fences and how often someone is able to free the deer.
Old March 14, 2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Checking my back pasture's fence one afternoon I found a dead doe hung up in that manner. Only one in a bunch of years, though. Not all that common, but it happens.
Old March 14, 2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Mobuck

During my 26 years of commuting 85 miles round trip 5 days a week through deer country, I found 4 deer hung in fences (3 alive and 1 already dead). I was able to release 2 but 1 I found still alive was too serious injured to ethically allow it's continued suffering.
Old March 14, 2018, 08:02 PM   #5
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
Well, I didn't get to shoot anything last night, but I did rescue a deer. She was caught up in the fence, body across the top wire, hind legs having going through between the top wire and the next wire. They could not reach the ground. She was exhausted and in considerable distress. Not my normal night of hunting...

https://youtu.be/S8IkkPCxRAs

Very well done! It’s great that hunters take pleasure in preserving life as well as taking it! True conservation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 15, 2018, 03:59 PM   #6
gwpercle

Well done...we are giving you a big....ATTABOY !!!

Nice job
Gary
Old March 15, 2018, 05:34 PM   #7
CajunBass

We found one hung in a fence once when deer hunting. One of the fellows put her out of her misery, but it wasn't worth pulling out of the woods.
John 3:16 (NKJV)