The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 5, 2011, 07:06 PM   #1
bbrian

Gun or Glasses?

This may seem like a silly question, but if you heard something in the middle of the night and deemed it serious enough to get your gun, would you put on your glasses first?

I’ve had a night stand .357 for the last 8 years and have gone to it on two occasions – false alarms, thank God.

When I replay these incidents in my head, I do remember that I’ve put on my glasses before getting the gun from my drawer. I’m not sure if this was the right move. I’m blind as a bat without glasses or contacts, so I want to see what I’m shooting at, but at the same time maybe it’s best to be armed first, then worry about the glasses.

Thoughts?
Old August 5, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2
mete

Depends on your eyes . For me I'd put on ear protection [kept next to the gun] as that muzzle blast may have great effect on me .
Old August 5, 2011, 09:36 PM   #3
dannyb

Glasses first. If you can't see, you can't aim. As far as ears, I keep amplified shooter's muffs handy (right next to where I put my glasses at night). If the dog wakes me, I put on in order: glasses, muffs, robe, pistol. I let the dog go first by opening the bedroom door. If I hear the sounds of dog in contact with somebody, the pistol comes up as I prepare the next set of things to do. Luckily, it has never gone that far.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Newton24b

glasses always. if you cant see whats in front of you, you will have legal issues. years of perusing those "tactical selfdefense legal" columns in gun magazines has shown that impairment to vision has caused a high ratio of cases get tossed, or homeowners go to jail simply because they had no ability to identify an intruder.

meaning i once read a case were a homeowner shot their own kid because the homeowner couldnt identify the silhoute of a stranger in the house because they refused to speak when confronted.

its why police LOVE those tritium night sights. its the old adage from the companies, if ya cant see it, ya cant identify it, and ya aim at it.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Patriot86

I keep my glasses about 4 feet from my bed, while by gun is less than 1. The plan for me would be gun THEN glasses while leaving my bedroom. The good news is I only have one other person in my home (wife to be) who is short and blonde. My eyes are more than good enough to tell if someone is blonde and short at 25 yards, considering the ranges we are talking about are in the 1-5 yard range then glasses would not really be an issue one way or another.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6
45Gunner

If you're blind as a bat without glasses, it makes no sense to even think about getting your gun before your glasses. How can you identify your target or distinguish friend from foe?

My nightstand gun sits on a rack beside the bed. In addition to the gun, the rack has a place for my tactical flashlight and an area to put my glasses, all conveniently located in one nice stand. Although the stand has no place for extra mags, they are near by.

Check out: www.manaboutracks.com
NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Edward429451

Put your glasses on. Get a dog to buy you some time.

Lasik works and is getting cheaper.
Old August 6, 2011, 09:27 AM   #8
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by Patriot 86: The plan for me would be gun THEN glasses while leaving my bedroom.
Where would you intend to go from your bedroom?
Old August 6, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Patriot86

Illinois(thankfully) does NOT have a retreat clause. I would have no qualms about confronting an intruder in my home. I am not the type to just "wait" and hope the guy doesn't come charging in to assault me or my wife to be.
Old August 6, 2011, 02:07 PM   #10
JerryM

I wear glasses, but can see well enough that I would go for the gun first.
I think it is unwise to try to clear your house unless kids or others would be exposed to danger if you did not attempt to locate an intruder.

The one who is moving is at a disadvantage, and so wisdom dictates that staying put and calling the police is the safest course of action.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 6, 2011, 05:18 PM   #11
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by Patriot86: I would have no qualms about confronting an intruder in my home. I am not the type to just "wait" and hope the guy doesn't come charging in to assault me or my wife to be.
I don't know about "qualms", but your chances of getting through it alive and uninjured are far higher if the intruder does come to you. See this; listen, and learn.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:34 PM   #12
big_genius29

Glass's first for me, because I can't see clearly after 6 inch's from my face. So I need to know what I am shooting, weather it is friend or foe.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Nnobby45

Quote:
This may seem like a silly question, but if you heard something in the middle of the night and deemed it serious enough to get your gun, would you put on your glasses first?
Only the dynamics of the situation could answer that question.

I have a set of Peltor electronic muffs nearby that I'd like to put on if something's going on in the night---doesn't mean I'd have time to get to them or my glasses. Gun is the first priority, but you'd need your glasses to use your phone.

Certain situations develop real fast. Others give you more warning.
Old August 6, 2011, 09:20 PM   #14
jrothWA

Glasses if you can [and have the time]..

be operational [glasses & firearm or simply firearm] is best.

Had a situation on drive across Montana, pulled into state campground about 11;30, did recon to and from restroom. rolled out the sleeping bag and grab some shut-eye. about 4:30 heard an engine turn-over. sat-up and looked around, about 100 yds up road headlights came on and a pick-up turned -around. Its' headlight illuminating my vehicle, watched it slowly pull next to me.

I reached around the driver seat and put the parking lights on, for a low-leve
360 degree and slowly did an observation sweep, my SS6 was in my hand.

Due to tinted windows the pick-up was limited on the interior view and decided to vacate. I waited an half-hour and followed.

Only put glasses on for driving.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Mello2u

You must be able to identify a threat. If you need glasses to do so; then glasses before gun.

Being able to identify a threat is a good reason to have a tactical flashlight and know how to use it correctly. If you can't identify a threat positively because it is too dark; what do you do?

Amplified hearing protection is great for me. I have hearing loss and can't tell which direction a sound comes from any more. But with amplified stereo hearing protection I can tell direction.
" Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mello2u; August 6, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:19 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...I’m blind as a bat without glasses..." That answers your question.
"...Get a dog to buy you some time..." Yep, but it's more about early warning. Fido can hear stuff long before you will.
Old August 7, 2011, 02:31 PM   #17
Helios

How is this even a question?

Put your glasses on.

If you can't see you can't use the gun.
Old August 7, 2011, 03:18 PM   #18
farmerboy

Everyone here pretty much has it right. You have to see threat to disengage threat. That said, I'm another one who loves yard dogs for help. We live I'n the country, town has around 3000 population. I have about 1 1/2 acres fenced for my German shepherd and my kids lab. We only see about 2 cars a day come down dirt road but a dog can tell you 1/4 mile way someone is coming. Just my two cents
Old August 7, 2011, 04:22 PM   #19
threegun

Quote:
If you're blind as a bat without glasses, it makes no sense to even think about getting your gun before your glasses. How can you identify your target or distinguish friend from foe?
Neither does taking the seconds to put on the glasses only to have the badguy on you before you get the gun.

Well I guess you could see it coming (meaning death) better LOL.

I vote gun then glasses and both should be side by side.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Buzzcook

My bedroom door is closed and locked. I got time.
Old August 8, 2011, 03:45 PM   #21
threegun

My solid core front door was kicked in with a single kick. Dead bolt and all. Seems the door is hyper strong but the jam is like wet newspaper. Be cautions about doors vs human males.

At 14 years old I was chasing my brother. He ran into his bedroom and locked the door. I put my shoulder into the door at close to full speed and it exploded open. Caused maybe a 2 second delay. Again the frame broke but the door also broke being a hollow core door.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:12 AM   #22
BfloBill

If your eyes are that bad you need your glasses to identify the threat and aim. I can hear it in the court room now:

Prosecutor: "Why did you shoot him?"
You: "He had a knife in his hand and raised it, I thought he was
going to attack me."
Att. : "You are blind as a bat without your glasses, how do we know
he wasn't raising his hands to surrender and you put the
knife there later?"

Don't trust your freedom to a prosecutor, take out every variable possible.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:59 AM   #23
Don P

If your glasses are as thick as Curly's I would have to say yes please put them on. It would really suck if you shot the closet door.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:36 PM   #24
Nnobby45

Quote:
You must be able to identify a threat. If you need glasses to do so; then glasses before gun.

Being able to identify a threat is a good reason to have a tactical flashlight and know how to use it correctly. If you can't identify a threat positively because it is too dark; what do you do?
Interesting how some can view situations so differently.

In many home invasion robberies, a home owner may be lucky if he/she have time to get to their gun.

But some of us have a home invasion scenario already solidified in our heads.

Bubba and his friends break in. You put on your glasses, then reach for your gun and then flashlight so you can clearly see the home invaders as they crash thru your bedroom door.

Call me simple, but it's kind of obvious that you put your glasses on if you HAVE TIME. And that you'd reach for your GUN if you don't. Good luck with the theory that you'll have the option to put on glasses first.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:32 PM   #25
Unistat76

The last time I thought someone was breaking into the house (they were breaking into the vacant home next door) I had my gun in my hand before I was fully awake and was already reaching for the flashlight. There was no conscious decision about what I would grab first.

Since I only wear my glasses for driving or watching a movie in the theaters it wasn't a problem.