The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Amarillo.Mitch

1-8" twist 22-250 ammo

Hey all,
I have a graduation present on the way (just finished my PhD) and it is a Tikka T3x 22-250 with a 1-8" twist barrel.

Curious what bullets should I consider for whitetail, hogs, and paper punching..thinking the 75gr Swift Scirocco or the 70gr Accubond, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks
Old April 7, 2018, 12:51 PM   #2
disseminator

Consider the 62 grain Barnes TTSX as well. You other choices are good ones but will get expensive for paper shooting. Maybe a 69 TMK or 75 Hornady BTHP Match load would be good for the range.

Congratulations Doctor, enjoy the new rifle.
Old April 7, 2018, 08:49 PM   #3
603Country

Personally, i shoot the 60 gr Nosler Partition, but that’s because i found a super accurate load. That said, for affordable paper punching, excellent accuracy, and performance on game, the 65 gr Sierra Gameking would be a good choice. Also, the 64 gr Nosler Bonded Solid Base bullet would be a good choice. I didn’t know Nosler offered a 70 gr Accubond, but that would be a great option.

I’m not really a fan of 22 caliber rounds for deer hunting, but though marginal, it’ll work if bullet placement is good.
Old April 9, 2018, 10:36 PM   #4
Marco Califo

The heavier 22 cal bullets like Speer 70 gr and Sierra Gameking 65 gr, and corresponding all copper bullets are suitable for game. That fast of a twist will be great for heavier bullets (65 and up). If you do shoot very light bullets like 36 grain Varmint Grenades or 40 grain BT, you could run into issues caused by high RPM (velocity times twist), bullets destruction in flight, etc. But if you ordered 1:8" twist, I am sure you know that.