The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2021, 08:43 PM   #51
Carl the Floor Walker

Interesting, my psychiatrist keeps asking me the same damn question over and over. And I am getting sick and tired of all those stupid ink blot test.
It's not my fault they all look like guns!

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 6, 2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old February 6, 2021, 11:50 PM   #52
Crankylove

Guys at work, friends, neighbors, family members know I hunt and target shoot, and I get asked quite often how many guns I have.

Not enough. That’s how many I have.

It’s nobody else’s business. I don’t offer the info, and when asked they get “not enough”.

Even my wife doesn’t know exactly how many I have. She’s knows how many she owns, and that I have more than her.
Old February 8, 2021, 12:29 AM   #53
bamaranger

firearms enthusiast

I'm a firearms enthusiast. I'm also a rural American, not a redneck.
Old February 8, 2021, 01:37 AM   #54
ms6852

Gun and Nut are two words that should never be used together, you are an Aficionado !
Old February 8, 2021, 09:33 AM   #55
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankylove View Post
Guys at work, friends, neighbors, family members know I hunt and target shoot, and I get asked quite often how many guns I have.
Yep right? That's why I posted this tongue in cheek thread. In my experience that's the typical question from non-gun people when they learn that someone is into guns.

They seem to be ok with it if you say you have one or two for hunting (EXCEPT if they learn that the one gun is an AR).

Three to four... may raise and eyebrow.

Beyond 5 guns you are definitely a gun nut in their mind. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankylove View Post
Even my wife doesn’t know exactly how many I have
Same with mine, they all look the same to her so I use it to my advantage. "Is that a new gun?" No, it is the old _______ , I just changed the buttstock.

Last edited by Pistoler0; February 8, 2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 10, 2021, 02:00 PM   #56
Shadow9mm

no, your fine, until you reach dragon man museum levels...
Old February 10, 2021, 08:03 PM   #57
BourbonCowboy

This post made me start thinking about my own accumulation. I own a total of 11 firearms.
1 12ga shotgun
1 9mm carbine
1 .308 semiautomatic hunting rifle
1 .22 single shot rifle
2 .38 Special revolvers
2 9mm semiautomatic handguns
1 .32 semiautomatic handgun
1 .357 revolver
1 .410/.45 Colt revolver

Of those 11 firearms, I actually purchased only three. The rest were inherited, gifted, or purchased for me as a part of my job duties.

I enjoy shooting, and I enjoy learning about the weapons I own. I spend a lot of time on sites such as this because I take firearm ownership seriously and I want to absorb as much information about them as possible. I don't collect guns; most of them are parts of a self/home defense plan. I'm also not hoarding ammo for a zombie apocalypse, but I do believe in being reasonably prepared in the event trouble should come to my door. I don't believe I am a "gun nut" - but if others want to label me as such, that's fine. I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old February 13, 2021, 05:37 AM   #58
hemiram

A few years ago, my gun hating sister found out that I had a number of guns, and of course, she asked, "What do you need all those for?"

If she knew how many I've bought since then, she would probably stroke out. If I collected knives, she would be fine with it, or ballpoint pens, or like her husband does, pipes of all kinds (Tobacco type), but collecting guns is somehow different?
Old February 14, 2021, 01:33 AM   #59
bamaranger

correct number of guns

The correct number of guns to own is written..."n+1". There is always a reason for another.
Old February 14, 2021, 02:25 AM   #60
Carl the Floor Walker

deleted

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 14, 2021 at 06:07 AM.
Old February 14, 2021, 07:32 AM   #61
vito

At one point my wife owned five different sewing machines. One of our grown children asked her why so many, wouldn’t one good machine work for her? She answered that they each served different needs. It was obvious that the person asking the question knows nothing about the sewing arts, and accepted that reality. But somehow when it comes to gun, people that know absolutely nothing about them, how they work, what they are intended for, etc. feel totally confident in their criticisms. Combine that with their fear of firearms, based upon ignorance, a bit of reality, and movies/TV, and their confident arrogance is unquestioned. Compared to most here on this Forum, I would venture that I have very, very few firearms. Yet to my brother who lives in the NYC area, where guns are seen only with law enforcement and criminals, owning even two guns would be seen as an “arsenal”.