The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
TomHowell1313

Need Reloads--HELP!!! 8MM X 06

I have a custom 8mm x 06, I am in need of Bullets. Does anyone out there know of anyone

A. With Bullets ready to sell
B. Any one who can re-load them?

I do not want to re-load them myself, My uncle and I have the same gun and we are getting down to about 30 Rounds. It is a Ackley approved 8mm x 06. Basically a 30-06 necked up I believe.

Please let me know if anyone can help. Thanks
Old April 2, 2013, 09:50 AM   #2
jcwit

I never ever shoot anyone elses reloads, for any reason. If perchance you do, are you positive they have a high enough insurance policy to cover whatever may happen?
Old April 2, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a custom 8mm x 06, I am in need of Bullets. Does anyone out there know of anyone

A. With Bullets ready to sell
B. Any one who can re-load them?

I do not want to re-load them myself, My uncle and I have the same gun and we are getting down to about 30 Rounds. It is a Ackley approved 8mm x 06. Basically a 30-06 necked up I believe.

Please let me know if anyone can help. Thanks
If you literally mean "bullets", as in the projectile itself and not loaded rounds, MidWayUSA has quite few in stock.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as manufactured ammo for that round.

In terms of someone else doing the reloads for you, that's a risky thing. You'd have to have a LOT of trust in that person. They could make anything from tack-driving, ultra-precision ammo to making your gun a hand grenade that kills you.

Aside from that, it is illegal for anyone to sell reloads "for purposes of livelihood or profit" unless they are duly licensed by the BATF.

BTW, it's Ackley IMPROVED not Approved.

You should really consider getting into reloading. It greatly expands the shooting hobby and is fun and interesting in it's own right.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

{Edit: I see Brian beat me to some of this; sorry for the duplicating parts.}

When you say "bullets", do you mean "cartridges"? Sorry to be picky on the terminology, but since this is a forum for handloaders, I thought it important you realize that to the members here "bullet" will mean just the projectile portion of the cartridge and will not include the case, primer, or powder.

Selling reloads requires a Federal Firearms Manufacturing License. It's not a cheap proposition and the liability insurance that goes with it is not cheap, either. Since 8 mm-06 is a wildcat cartridge, this means you will have to learn to reload your own or go to a custom loading house. Custom loading houses are going to be expensive. This one wants several dollars per cartridge.

It will be much more cost effective to learn to load your own. For the cost of 50 to 100 cartridges from the custom house, you can be set up for life on these. Look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum for loading equipment basics. Some load data is here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 3, 2013, 08:43 AM   #5
TomHowell1313

Thanks guys, Sorry for some of the terminology. What are some of the thoughts out there of spinning a different caliber barrel on her. Looking at my box of Ammo it looks like the brass has been reloaded 3 times. Do not know if that's a lot or not. I am hearing what I need to do to get new brass is fire the heck out of a few boxes of 30 x 06 to neck up the brass.

@ Brian, Ackley Improved. I actually knew that terminology and used it wrong.

If I were to start re loading my own, does anyone know what's involved in that? Costs, do I need any type of permits, etc?
Old April 3, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's is an "Equipment Basics" Sticky Thread at the top of this forum, to get you an idea of what you need.

Total cost should be somewhere close to $500 for a decent set up.

3 times loaded brass isn't a lot. Properly cared for, you can reload some brass a few dozen times. Certainly 8-10 is a given for most.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Tom,

I've never heard of a permit being required. Some areas do have local codes that limit how much powder you can keep at one time. A call to a local fire department should get you steered to who would know or you might find it on a local government web site.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Jimro

You can get set up for less than 500

You need these; http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412...egree-shoulder

A press to put them in, some way to trim the brass, and some way to measure powder.

145 for the dies, 70 for a press (Lee Challenger), 70 for a trimmer (Forster Original), and 25 for a scale (Lee safety scale), works out to 310 by my math. Still cheaper than having a gunsmith rebarrel a mauser for you.

Jimro
Old April 5, 2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd sooner go with a $75 scale and a $5 trimmer, but its all about options. All said and done, most folks will be in at $500 or so.
Note that $310 doesn't include shipping or any components. 1000 primers, 1 pound powder and 100 bullets will add another $75 or so, plus potential shipping/hazmat.
Adding those costs, you're at $425 or so, minimum. That's without calipers and other miscellaneous costs.
You might get it all for $425 or $350 but I'd rather plan for $500 and spend $400 than the other way round.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Jimro

That is true, I'm not counting the cost of consumables, just the minimum tools needed to reload 8mm-06 AI. I've never known a reloading setup not to "grow over time" to include better and more precise tools.

Jimro
Old April 5, 2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Jim Watson

The price of "spinning on a new barrel" in a commercial caliber would be close to the cost of a pretty good reloading setup.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Check out ER Shaw for a moderately priced barrel.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:51 AM   #12
david_r

He can also get a die set from CH4D that I think would be less expensive and faster to get. He can also get a full length die from them. Don't forget the shellholder.

If he has enough fired brass that will chamber in each gun, I would wager that a Lee 8mm collet die would be about the cheapest way to go. He just has to make sure he keeps the short chamber brass out of the long chamber gun as he is reloading for two different rifles.
Old April 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

CH4D has a set for $80. Unfortunately they have four different 8mm-06 improved dies listed. I think the one you want is the -40, which I presume is the shoulder angle. Call them to check.
Old April 6, 2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Cesure

Might I suggest http://koleconley.com

Be prepared for frustration as they have had a server crash and many of their links don't work, but Ackley Improved and 8mm-06 were mentioned on some of their pages. I suggest calling them at

Conley Precision Cartridge
207 E. Oak Ave
Como, MS 38619
662-526-5886