The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2017, 12:00 PM   #1
PolarFBear

To much Lee Liquid Alox

I use Lee Liquid Alox to tumble lube my cast loads. But, I've used to much. Is there a way to "wash" a little bit off? I am considering using denatured alcohol in the "tumble" can to dilute the film of lube. I've got 500 9mm 125 grain lead wheel weight already to go; except for the heavy lube. Or, should I just load and shoot? Thanks.
Old April 26, 2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

If it were me Id throw in a bunch more bullets and tumble, that'll thin out what you have.

If the alox is already very firm a touch of alcohol or mineral spirits might loosen it up.

Last edited by Chainsaw.; April 26, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old April 27, 2017, 04:36 AM   #3
Whisper 300

Mineral spirits will cut it.
Either wash the already coated ones in it to remove excess or clean off entirely
You can then either cut the existing Alox and re-coat or determine if you pulled off enough of the excess to sufficiently lube the bullet.

Gary
Old April 28, 2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Don Fischer

Washing them off might lead your barrel too. Were it me and I though I had to much on them, I'd just run them through the sizer again.
Old April 28, 2017, 07:19 PM   #5
ShootistPRS

If there is a rubber liner in your tumbler don't put alcohol or mineral spirits in it. Alcohol will cause it to expand and mineral spirits will dissolve it.
Old April 29, 2017, 06:59 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

Unless you've already dealt with them, you might try this.

If you have a seal a meal, cut you a bag about 14'ish inches long out of the bigger sized material. Seal one end only. Drop 50-100 bullets in and set them on a table so they spread out and hold the bottom open. Use a hair drier to heat them up a little, so that the lube starts to melt. Then add in more bullets and roll them around in the bag

This does two things. First the bag will recover some of the excess lube and the added bullets will do so also. You can use the bag multiple times and still get enough lube depending on the velocity to coat plenty more bullets.

I used one bag for about 6 months or so before I had to retire it. I usually warm the bullets up some prior to them going in so they do the warming of the lube which sticks to the bag.
Old April 29, 2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'm all for load'in and shoot em.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Beagle333

I would add just enough mineral spirits to get em lightly wet and tumble with some fresh unlubed bullets. That would spread it around and then it would be the same Alox consistency when it dried, only applied more lightly to all.

Add more spirits and fresh bullets if you think it's still too thick, add more Alox if you think you got em all too thin. Mix til happy.

My .02
Have a Colt and a smile.