The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 18, 2018, 02:20 PM   #1
enstorm

Sloan Nevada

This place is getting crazier by the week. Once again, today, some clucks out there set up to shoot parallel to the main dirt road, I counted not less than 5 vehicles downrange from them. Shooting paper. Oblivious to the fact that people were basically in front of them and to the fact that the road loops around downrange so to be right in front of them, too. Several times I have had bullets zing by overhead because of that stunt of shooting along and across that road. Once, two guys pulled up and put their target about 40 feet to my right and dead even with me, then walked back to shoot from behind me at a target basically next to me. mind blowing.

Not to mention the trash. Or the people who completely ignore the new signs about no shooting within half mile of the highway per county ordinance.

Or the people today who drove 125 yards off the dirt road in the pit area at the front and started shooting targets 20 feet from the backstop dirt, ie, from a position 125 yards in front of everyone else there, and about a quarter mile from the highway in ignorance of the above mentioned signs prohibiting it.

Safe bet that someone is getting killed out there, and that will be it for shooting at Sloan.
Old March 18, 2018, 03:31 PM   #2
UncleEd

And what kind of guns are they using?

Are they part of the well regulated militia?
Old March 18, 2018, 03:49 PM   #3
roscoe

This kind of irresponsible behavior is what got much of the areas south of Las Vegas closed. The shooting area was just a junkyard by last year - nobody ever took their targets home, which included appliances. After a while, it was really a mess. Plus, they were barely 100 yards off the road, blowing up Tannerite targets and generally scaring folks driving by on South Las Vegas Boulevard.
Old March 19, 2018, 02:15 AM   #4
Pathfinder45

In my opinion, so much of this kind of shooting is criminal behavior. I have seen a lot of the aftermath of this sort of thing on the Mt Hood National Forest in Oregon. It has resulted in the closure of some areas to shooting. I don't care if someone shoots their own television in the privacy of their own home. Maybe the tv deserves it. But not on public land. It's criminal mischief, and it is costing the rest of us the freedoms we once had. We are losing our American Heritage because of this type of behavior. Make no mistake; all shooters will be lumped together and blamed for what criminals do on public lands with their guns. I have never seen that the Media has said, "Criminals with guns....", destroyed Memaloose Road, or caused the fire at such-and-such a quarry, and now umpty-nine-thousand acres have burned. No, but they simply say that target shooters did thus and so. A great many of the National Forests road signs are full of bullet holes. And many trees have been shot down because these people have used them in place target boards. So now we have more regulations about shooting on our National Forest, that respectful sportsmen don't need, and the vandals won't heed. The regulations maybe go too far in banning the use of improvised targets. Of course, glass bottles have always been in appropriate to shoot, because that can't adequately be cleaned up. But the whole point is that we should clean up after ourselves and leave the place at least as good as we found it; better if possible.