The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Anyone reloading for 357 Sig?

I have a Glock 23 in 357 Sig and I have prepped 100 cases and am ready load them up and I was just thinking perhaps I could get some info from you all on what works best for you.

Thanks,
Old January 30, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
jepp2

Make sure you get the correct bullets. I use the Montana Gold bullets specifically made for the Sig (long straight section) with AA #9 powder.

I don't know how you set up your sizing die, but I head space off the shoulder.

Use the very minimum flare, or you can have problems with setback. There are some excellent articles on Real Guns (4 total). Here is a link to one:

357 Sig
Old January 31, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Jim243

I use 124 grain 9mm trunkated cone shaped bullets for the 357 sig like the Hornady XTPs, round nose 9mm FMJ or HP DO NOT work well for that case configuration.

Jim

Old January 31, 2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Ike666

+1 for what Jepp said - this is probably the most important consideration. The neck length on the 357 Sig is very short which leaves only a small tensioning surface. The bullets specifically designed for the 357 Sig have a longer straight side to maximize contact with that short neck. This helps substantially with preventing set-back.

I've tried both methods of sizing - full-length sizing with a .40 S&W die and then neck-sizing only with a 357 Sig die and just full-length sizing with a 357 Sig die. Using the time-honored loading bench press test I found that as long as I did a good job getting the neck tension back there was no set-back issue.

I've use both AA #9 and Power Pistol. The AA#9 fills the case which also helps prevent set-back. My first reloads were with the #9, then as I gained confidence in my technique started using the Power Pistol. I noticed a much larger flash bloom with the Power Pistol, especially when firing at EENT or in the dark. It also seemed to have more felt recoil but that is entirely subjective. Both powders seemed equally accurate for me (Glock 32) holding 2-inch groups out to 25 yards.

It is a fun pistol to shoot and I load for it now in 500-round lots. Our agency uses the 357 Sig as a duty round and I carry Speer Gold Dots in it b/c they are free.

Edit added: Oh yeah, I do lube the cases before sizing which seems to help.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I reload for the Sig.

My only problem has come when I try to actually control headspace....

The Sig is SUPPOSEDLY designed to headspace on the mouth, like most other semi-auto cartridges. However, I have found that there isn't even an absolute consensus on that and that, so far, every single case that I've ever measured has been pretty drastically too short to ever make that work. Like .010 or more too short.

So, the general consensus is that the Sig actually headspaces on the shoulder, which is easy enough to accomplish by adjusting the sizing die.... except then you lose a fair bit of neck length and the tension that goes with it. I have never been able to get adequate neck tension when the shoulder is set for proper headspace.

I've tried using the Lee FCD, no dice, almost makes it worse. The only thing that comes close to working is to run the finished round through the sizing die again.

So, I have resigned to letting the round headspace on the extractor, which is what virtually every other semi-auto cartridge does anyway, I'm told.

So long as I do that, which severely messes with my OCD, it works fine.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:51 AM   #6
SL1

It seems that the 357 Sig REALLY needs a cannelured bullet.

Turning the case mouth into a crimp groove should solve all setback problems and allow head-spacing on the shoulder.

But, I have not yet found a suitable bullet to do that in this cartridge.

I have read the Montana Gold makes one, but have not actually seen one of them, yet.

Has anbyfody tried them?

SL1
Old February 6, 2011, 07:00 AM   #7
shu

I am of the 'headspace on shoulder' and 'rollcrimp' factions.

Some time ago I trimmed back the casemouth on a sized 357sig case, and it seemed to change the seating depth not at all.

I ran another empty, sized case through the RCBS seat+crimp die, and it came out with a definite roll at the casemouth.

Try some canelured hardcast from Hunters Supply. Consider getting an aftermarket land+groove barrel if you shoot Glock.

http://www.hunters-supply.com/shop/p...roducts_id=154

-shu