The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2015, 07:37 PM   #1
littlephil

What are they worth?

I've got around 224 pieces of 9mm brass that I don't need. Most of it is blazer with a few federal and maybe a couple Winchester. Some is deprimed and some isn't. I'd like to get rid of it, but I have no idea what it's worth. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old September 27, 2015, 09:36 PM   #2
StripesDude

A few dollars. Probably not worth your time selling it.

When I have brass for a caliber I don't load, I try trading for it at the range.
Old September 27, 2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

9mm brass is no hot commodity. I went to a shooting competition (IDPA) yesterday, and collected about 100 rounds of 9mm brass from people who didn't want theirs, without even trying or asking for it.

If I was in your situation, I'd just put it in the brass bucket at my local range.
Old September 27, 2015, 10:39 PM   #4
burrhead

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 27, 2015, 10:41 PM   #5
burrhead

About $5 if anyone will buy it. Just give it to someone.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 27, 2015, 10:47 PM   #6
littlephil

Thanks guys, that's about what I figured. Guess I'll just keep em around till somebody needs em.
Old September 28, 2015, 12:00 AM   #7
skizzums

3c a piece is current value of "fired" 9mm brass. even PSA is selling them 100pc for $2.99. Save em', you'll never know when you will want to reload, or you'll come across someone at the range who will trade you a box of something f0r your brass.

if it puts in perspective, I paid 60$ a few months back for 2800pcs of 9mm brass. most sell it at 30-35$ per 1000 rounds.
Old September 28, 2015, 10:31 PM   #8
Sport45

Brass that I don't need goes in a bucket along with the damaged brass that fails inspection. I bag it up and sell it when I go to the recycler with my aluminum cans. A quarter grocery bag of brass is worth more than a kitchen trash bag full of crushed aluminum cans.

That said, good 9mm brass doesn't go in my recycle bucket. Some probably should though as it accumulates faster than I shoot it.
Old September 28, 2015, 11:42 PM   #9
RedDragonBrass

9mm Brass

I have sold over 100,000 rounds of 45 ACP to date and one guy came to my site and bought 250 rounds of 9mm in that time keep any brass that you can't sell or give away and scrap it out. Just make sure there are no live rounds in it.
Scrap brass prices are high, they drive up the cost of Once Fired Brass.
Old September 29, 2015, 01:22 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...Most of it is Blazer..." Brass, of course? Their Al isn't reloadable and has no value.
224 pieces of any brand isn't enough for trading or selling. Also doesn't take a lot of space either. Fits nicely into a freezer bag or the like and being stashed.
Old September 29, 2015, 10:54 PM   #11
briandg

It is almost valueless. My opinion is that yes, stick it into a bag or box, pack it away into a corner of the bench, and add whatever you get to it as time passes. Someday you will either buy a 9 or you will meet someone who can use it. Brass never loses value, because no matter how long you hold it, it is still worth about $2 a pound.

Just this morning I went to my local range. I was alone there, and fired a few magazines. As I was collecting my own, I kept noticing that there were more than I had fired. I wound up a few feet farther down the line, and gee, somebody had come up over the weekend and apparently fired about a thousand rounds of winchester factory and walked away from it.

I just stood there collecting that stuff for about a half hour, and carried away about a 3 pound bag. Now I have maybe 500 rounds of factory new brass to box up and set aside, to go with my probably 2000 rounds in rotation. Eventually, I got tired of getting to my knees and picking the stuff up and walked away with probably half of it left behind.

Want to hear a funny story? there is a range "officer" who volunteers there, and what he mostly does is wander around and pick up brass. He doesn't even bother picking up 9 or 40 anymore, it's not worth the effort. He sells the stuff, and seriously, it's not worth the trouble of bending down to get it.
Old September 29, 2015, 11:15 PM   #12
hartcreek

......I would purchase one of those spring wire balls so I would not have to bend over......leaving brass on the ground is the same as leaving money.