The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 6, 2013, 12:52 PM   #26
ripnbst

Have you considered how much all this added weight will affect your gas mileage on your road trip?

Kidding, but seriously as others have stated IMO you are going overboard. Preparing for the worst is having your gun and a reload with you. If you get stopped with several handguns in the vehicle traveling as far as you are it is MY opinion you are creating a bad situation for yourself.

I UNDERSTAND THERE MAY VERY WELL BE NO LAW AGAINST TAKING YOUR ENTIRE GUN SAFE WITH YOU ON A ROADTRIP. But if you get stopped for anything, you are going to have a million and one questions about why you've got so many guns with you, and why this, and why that...etc. Saying "Because I am legally allowed" is going to be a terrible answer to the repeated questions.

I think you'd be equally as prepared for anything short of civil war with your gun and a spare mag loaded. Bringing a second gun for her which she is not legally able to carry seems slightly ridiculous. Anytime she'd have access to it in the glove compartment, you will be sitting right beside her with your gun. Your hypothetical situation teeters on unfathomable.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:05 PM   #27
Gary Slider

ripnbst brought up a very good point. In Colorado an Attorney has told me people are getting arrested for carrying their firearm in their glove box. That is not illegal but there was someone riding in the passenger seat that was under age or a prohibited person and could not legally possess a firearm. Being in the Glove box made it accessible to the person underage/prohibited which is against the law in Colorado. Other states have similar wording in their laws that Colorado has. So do be careful on where you carry your firearm/s.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:35 PM   #28
youngunz4life

I always check that too, but my wife did get her CCW which was nice. I don't travel without 2-3weapons(I'm talking like a family vacation), but I always make sure it is ok. There is nothing wrong with having a couple handguns if it is legal. any argument against can have as much momentum from someone who thinks one is too many or unnecessary...a family vacation is a perfect example for a reason to be prepared for the worst andor to defend ones family.