The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Am I being Paranoid?

As most of you probably know, or at least most reading this post, I reloaded my first rounds for my K-31 the other day. I just can't stop worrying that the gun might blow up in my face or fail or not fire or any thing. I made sure there was only 1 charge of powder in each one and me sure they were weighed correctly. The rounds chamber fine, with only a 5 thousandths difference in seating depths for one bullet. The only thing wrong with the cases were that they were a little bit dented on the shoulder ( when I mean a little, I mean a little, they're barely visible.) And there are indentations on the shoulder from a burr in the sizing die that has been or will be taken care of before the next reloads. The primers are all seated correctly, I made sure of that. I'm using ..308 bullets, the correct caliber. Am I missing anything? Is there anything goes I should be worried about? After hearing horror stories of people's guns blowing up because of reloading, I've become paranoid about this stuff. Sorry if this sounds weird, just wanted you guy's help. Thanks.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 12, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

wear safety glasses

Relax; all of us were once new.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3
gyvel

As long as you double checked your powder load and went by "the book," you are fine and there is nothing to worry about.
SIFE
Old August 12, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Mosin-Marauder

Well, I went by Hodgdon's online data and double checked on another one and they matched. I followed the data as closely as possible. Only deviation was COL, which Hodgdon's was shorter than mine.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 12, 2014, 04:01 PM   #5
jwrowland77

Most if not all felt the same way before shooting our first reloads. After you go through your first batch, you'll start shooting them and won't think twice about it
Old August 12, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

If you've used the right powder, and used the correct charge for your bullet weight, with inspected brass, with proper length and primer seating, checking yourself all the way, in a modern rifle with little use, you have nothing to fret about.

Chamber it, aim it, fire it, you're good to go.

If you are really paranoid, just wrap some cloth around the rifle to prevent marring, weight the rifle down on your bench, and fire remotely using a piece of twine. Then go ahead and enjoy your work once you see your fears are unfounded.

However, recognizing paranoia as paranoia, does not mean you get to relax while reloading. Keep checking your work, and you'll never have a reason to be concerned.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:33 PM   #7
oldpapps

Paranoid is only a heightened sense of awareness.

You stated "little bit dented on the shoulder". My first guess is you lubed the necks of the brass and those "dents" are not from a bur in the DIE but from the lube. The case body gets the lube and only a very, very little of a touch on the flat between the case mouth and shoulder if any at all.
These will iron out when fired.

Sound like your doing fine.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old August 12, 2014, 04:39 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

As long as you followed your manual religiously and did the semi-auto required steps(FL resizing, check case lengths and watch the OAL), you'll be fine.
The shoulder dents are from too much lube. Not a big deal. It's probable that the cases will get dented as they're ejected too. That's not as big deal either. Semi's do that.
It'd be highly unlikely for there to be a burr. Reloading dies are made with a great deal of QC.
"...people's guns blowing up..." Operator failure. Stupid stuff like not using a scale, going over max or under minimum loads. Wrong bullet diameter, etc.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Mosin-Marauder

Thanks everyone.
Also, the K-31 is a bolt action rifle. Although I did do all those steps.
Thanks again. I plan to post pictures of the groups after I shoot them.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 12, 2014, 04:53 PM   #10
CowTowner

Relax, continue to be careful, and enjoy your new addiction.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 12, 2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Gster

Sounds like you did everything right, you'll be fine. After you shoot your first reloads, you'll have such a feeling of gratitude, you'll wonder what all the worrying was about.
Old August 12, 2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Signal-0

Normal feelings... make sure to post some pics and a range report.
Old August 12, 2014, 06:32 PM   #13
pathdoc

The thing which made me feel best about my first reloads is that a double charge of the recommended rifle powder in a bottle neck rifle case is impossible. It will overflow. The next was that it was a minimum charge of the slowest powder listed, weighed on a scale. Twice.

Once I had pulled the trigger on a couple of those and had someone with extensive experience look at the primers + give the OK, I was fine. If you don't have someone to guide you, compare against fired factory brass.
Old August 12, 2014, 06:39 PM   #14
1stmar

I don't see the load information. You should work up to a load. You should start at the low end of the charge and work up. Where are you wrt the min max load?
Old August 12, 2014, 06:49 PM   #15
Mosin-Marauder

Im at the minimum load for the loads listed...
Here:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
and here:
http://stevespages.com/308_14_150.html
Both list the load.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 12, 2014, 07:08 PM   #16
gwpercle

You have a mild case of didiscrewupaphobia. It's normal, after you shoot a few you will be just fine. Don't worry! Everything is going to be OK.
After you have done this a time or two the didiscrewupaphobia will go away.
Gary
Old August 12, 2014, 07:10 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Your paranoia is normal and well documented and also illustrates that you well understand the dangers of your new hobby. I'd be more worried if you WEREN'T worried.

The more you understand about reloading, the more confident you will become. Just be sure that your confidence is reality based.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:55 PM   #18
boondocker385

Sounds like you are fine. And if you weren't paranoid then I would fear you aren't being serious enough about reloading!
Old August 13, 2014, 12:22 AM   #19
Machineguntony

I agree, your paranoia is expected for a beginner. Just be sure that when you shoot, to keep your face away from the breech, so when the inevitable noob reloading mistake happens, you'll be ok. This is one of the man reasons why they say to always wear eye protection, especially if you're a beginning reloader.

Haha.
Old August 13, 2014, 03:37 AM   #20
Brotherbadger

A little fear is good. It shows you understand the ramifications of screwing up. That being said, trust your equipment and trust the process. As long as you followed the load data and weighed everything correctly, you'll be fine. That first shot is gonna takes some chutzpah to fire though(it did for me anyways). You'll be fine.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old August 13, 2014, 04:00 AM   #21
Sevens

My first handloads were .38 Special with a charge of Green Dot in Federal brass with a CCI-500 small pistol primer under a 158 grain swaged lead Speer bullet.

And that powder charge... I dipped out with a Lee dipper.
I did not even own a scale of any manner.

I held my 686 in my right arm at full length and turned my head and fired at the berm on the rifle range at the club I belonged to at the time.

It all went well. With the other five shots in that cylinder, I actually took aim and hit my target. And it's been all roses and a couple decades and a crazy pile of money since that time.
Old August 13, 2014, 08:39 AM   #22
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin-Marauder
Im at the minimum load for the loads listed...
Here:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
and here:
http://stevespages.com/308_14_150.html
Both list the load.
These two data sources have different "Minimum" charges. Assuming you are using 3031, Hodgdon lists 40.2gr while Steve's Pages lists 35.4gr . What bullet are you using and what is the Powder and Powder charge you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin-Marauder
Only deviation was COL, which Hodgdon's was shorter than mine.
Hodgdon lists 2.80, that's almost to SAAMI max for the 308. Nothing wrong with going longer than SAAMI as long as you know your Max OAL (when the bullet contacts the lands). Increasing OAL sets the bullet closer to the lands, the closer to the lands the higher the pressure.

What is your OAL and do you know the distance to the lands?
Old August 13, 2014, 08:52 AM   #23
Mosin-Marauder

I am using 45 grains of H4350 under a 150 grain JSP bullet. My COL is 2.850 and I plan to stay there as close as I can (as I said I had one seat 5 thousandths short which shouldn't be as problem. Hodgdon lists 2.790 as COL which was too short for mine. I don't *know* the distance to the lands but I do know I am good COL wise. Thank you for your concern.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 13, 2014, 09:31 AM   #24
steve4102

WOW, was I confused. Your link to Steve's pages directed me to 308 Win data with IMR 3031 powder.

Sorry, I see now that you are loading for a 7.5x55, carry on.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:52 AM   #25
mikld

Put on your big boy pants and step up to the firing line! It's normal for new reloaders to fire their first reload with much trepidation, but if you followed the "rules" you'll be OK.

My first reload shoot was in 1969 and I held my .38 Special at arm's length, tuned my head and closed my eyes. Nuttin' bad happened, 'cause I followed the book and was very conscientious about every step. I have, on occasion, put a rifle on bags on the shooting bench and stood at arm's length to fire it. I immediately miked the case to check the gun...