The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 11, 2020, 12:27 PM   #1
MisterCrabby

St Louis Couple Served, AR confiscated

Oh boy...

Authorities execute search warrant on St. Louis couple who pointed guns at protesters...

KSDK reported that the search resulted in police seizing the rifle that Mark McCloskey was seen holding during the incident.

https://apple.news/AisXP-ukUSqSMEknku54yIQ
Old July 11, 2020, 12:34 PM   #2
FITASC

The female prosecutor in the case was backed by Soros when she ran for office;I am sure that had NOTHING to do with this........ (uh-huh)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 11, 2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, McCloskey made several poor decisions from a standpoint of minimizing tactical and legal risks.* However, as a wealthy plaintiff’s lawyer, I’m betting he has both a high tolerance for risk and the resources and skillset to deal with it.

*The piece of property he was defending was arguably not even his curtilage and he’d been in litigation about the subject so he knew it.

But as FITASC points out, this is what happens when you elect Soros backed candidates for Sheriff and/or District Attorney. The mob goes unpunished but the people who stand up to it? They get the book thrown at them.
Old July 11, 2020, 02:04 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The news blub I saw said search warrant executed, rifle seized, no charges filed at this time.

Also included this, from the city attorney...

"Make no mistake: We will not tolerate the use of force against those exercising their First Amendment rights, and will use the full power of Missouri law to hold people accountable."

Peaceful people expressing their First amendment rights, or angry mob destroying private property and making threats against anyone in their way?

Seems the city attorney has already made up her mind on the matter and is just looking for the mechanics of the law to enforce that opinion.

I might be wrong, but i doubt it.
Old July 11, 2020, 02:11 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Also included this, from the city attorney...

"Make no mistake: We will not tolerate the use of force against those exercising their First Amendment rights, and will use the full power of Missouri law to hold people accountable."

Peaceful people expressing their First amendment rights, or angry mob destroying private property and making threats against anyone in their way?
First amendment rights are a limitation on the government's power to abridge freedom of expression. The first amendment does not apply to private citizens on their own, private property. I think that city attorney must have printed his law school diploma at FedEx Office.
Jeepaholic
Old July 11, 2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

The search warrant means there is an ongoing criminal investigation and that the rifle (but not the pistol) is relevant evidence in it. My guesses would be:

1) A decision/deal has already been made that the wife will not be charged.
2) Whether the rifle is an actual functioning firearm, or an airsoft, or a rubber duck, is relevant to the criminal investigation.
Old July 12, 2020, 06:02 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

I haven't really dug into this one, but what I find odd (or maybe 'questionable' is a better word) is that they seized the husband's AR, but I have not seen any pictures of him pointing it at anyone. At the same time, I have seen pictures of the wife pointing her pistol at someone in the crowd, but her pistol was NOT confiscated. So is is more about the gun than the behavior (again)?
Old July 12, 2020, 06:24 PM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

Upon further reading on my part, it seems the Jimenez pistol was surrendered and found to be inoperable. Further, the McCloskeys assert she knew the pistol was inoperable when she pointed it at people during the confrontation.

Kermit.tea.jpg.
Old July 12, 2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Sharkbite

She was certainly more blatant about it then he was. But, with the Rifle held level and the Crowd marching down the road, im sure he muzzled some folks.

Now, was it intentional?? It didnt look like it to me. She did look like she was pointing he gun intentionally.

The whole episode SCREAMS of the need for Training with the potential for defensive firearms use. A gun in your home is NOT enough.
Old July 12, 2020, 06:51 PM   #10
ghbucky

A LGS has offered to replace their AR for free and provide them training. Again for free.

faceboook post
Old July 12, 2020, 08:57 PM   #11
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, it is good to know a fabulously wealthy plaintiff’s lawyer won’t go hungry or starve from trying to replace their musket and Jimenez Arms [blank]box.
Old July 12, 2020, 09:40 PM   #12
ghbucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Well, it is good to know a fabulously wealthy plaintiff’s lawyer won’t go hungry or starve from trying to replace their musket and Jimenez Arms [blank]box.
Right?
Old July 13, 2020, 06:09 AM   #13
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
The whole episode SCREAMS of the need for Training with the potential for defensive firearms use. A gun in your home is NOT enough.
On the other hand, the mob decided not to make good on any of their threats made after entering the property. So, maybe having the gun was enough.

Training is great and I could use my keen hindsight to act differently, but appearing with a rifle in hand may have saved this couple's home.

Last edited by zukiphile; July 13, 2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old July 13, 2020, 06:47 AM   #14
cecILL

The protesters, rioters, looters, public property destroyers walk the streets while the law abiding couple is prosecuted for defending their property.

Is this country going nuts?
Old July 13, 2020, 08:06 AM   #15
ghbucky

Eric Schmitt, Missouri State Attorney General was interviewed by Fox News’ Shannon Bream Friday night, and said in part:

Quote:
Under Missouri law under the castle doctrine, an individual has a really expansive authority to protect their own lives their home, and their property. And I think the story here to watch here is the local prosecutor Kim Gardner has an abysmal record in prosecuting violent crime and been complicit in the release of dozens and dozens of inmates who’ve been charged with violent crimes and has a record of making politically motivated decisions not based on the law. So this is certainly something to watch
The linked article also claims the pistol the woman was holding was inoperable and was a dummy used in their pursuit of legal action against the gun manufacturer. Which I find to be a delicious bit of irony.
Old July 13, 2020, 01:14 PM   #16
Sharkbite

Quote:
On the other hand, the mob decided not to make good on any of their threats made after entering the property. So, maybe having the gun was enough.
And yet with some basic training in muzzle discipline and understanding of appropriate ready positions, they would not now have the issues of pointing their guns at people. AND it would have been SAFER for everybody.
Old July 13, 2020, 02:09 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
not sure what the problem is...
The problem is the apparent lack of equal treatment under the law.

No one was shot, no one was shot at, no shots were fired at all. what's the real crime here? Standing in defense of home with arms?? Scaring the people who are breaking through your gate???

Or being caught on video resisting a "free speech" expression by people who are yelling threats and destroying property, heading for your house??

No matter what their personal leanings are, no matter what causes they support, or don't, is it right for them to be scapegoated? (and perhaps charged -yet to be seen) for NOT shooting people???
Old July 13, 2020, 02:29 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Guys, I need everyone to review the rules specific to this subforum. We don't do generalized liberal/conservative stuff. We don't call people "libtards," and we don't joke about people we don't agree with shooting each other.

If your post was deleted, it was with good reason. Don't make me stop this car.
Old July 14, 2020, 12:41 AM   #19
raimius

Legally, pointing a weapon at someone requires a justifiable reason, in most jurisdictions. So, the question seems more "were they justified in threatening to use deadly force?" not "No one got shot = nothing illegal."
Old July 14, 2020, 02:19 AM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

No one got shot = no one got shot. Which is why I'm asking what is the crime here?

Brandishing a firearm? some level of assault /threat due to pointing a gun?

There may be some level of offense worthy of charges, but so far its still "under investigation". Also remember that charges may be justified, but never filed.

It is sensational now, but down the road in a court, it could be the jury only considers "angry threatening mob vs. homeowners in fear for their lives". Many, many things will be in play before then, including the prosecutor's opinion of that likelyhood and the repercussions of taking such a case to court, and losing...

I have no way of knowing just what evidence either side will bring to light, if it comes to a court hearing. Some times, the real story isn't what it seems to be in the media...
Old July 14, 2020, 05:02 AM   #21
Hal

Quote:
No one got shot = no one got shot. Which is why I'm asking what is the crime here?
Case of bad blood between the two & the AG of St. Louis.
Plus added bad blood between the police & the two.

(Also - the two seem to be....ahem...real pieces of work.)

This thread - from another discussion forum - provides a lot more links & details than the regular media is providing.
https://www.theliberalgunclub.com/ph...p?f=12&t=58052
Old July 15, 2020, 09:59 AM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

Some reasonable points made there. Also some descriptions of how the poster would handle the situation based on what they imagine it would be like, but not based on specific situational training.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 15, 2020, 03:01 PM   #23
JERRYS.

forced entry onto their property via a locked gate that was torn down? did this not happen? if it did, how is pointing a firearm at the suspects and telling them to leave not justified?
Old July 15, 2020, 03:14 PM   #24
zxcvbob

Does not matter that it was justified. The prosecutor there is pandering to the mob, and is also an idiot. (The governor has stated almost as much) I'm wondering about the judge that signed the warrant. Judges should be above that.

Perhaps they are pretending to investigate the 4th degree assault committed by the protesters, and the rifle is somehow material to that. (And it will be lost or destroyed by the police just on general principle)
Old July 15, 2020, 03:46 PM   #25
Mainah

Quote:
The linked article also claims the pistol the woman was holding was inoperable and was a dummy used in their pursuit of legal action against the gun manufacturer. Which I find to be a delicious bit of irony.
So this guy brought his wife out with a non-functioning gun and allowed her to face an angry mob? I'll watch the legal case unfold, but I think he deserves judgement here.