The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 25, 2019, 03:58 PM   #1
sigarms228

Illinois Senate Bill 107 "assault" weapon ban

Illinois just introduced a senate bill 107 "assault" weapon ban. if passed it would ban most any semi automatic rifle than can accept detachable magazines. I don't see exception for rim fire either. Given the new democrat governor and super majorities in the state house and senate it may very well pass this time.

Those that already own banned weapons can keep them if the file a registration affidavit to the Illinois Sate Police with $25 check within 300 days of the bill passing. After that anyone with an unregistered "assault" weapon will have committed a felony. If you pass away and wife does not know about the law she will be committing a felony if your AR-15 is still in the home. You can only transfer your registered weapon to an "heir" or to someone out of state. Owning attachment alone will also be a felony and no grandfathering. So if an Illinois resident bough a spare hand grip a couple years ago just possessing that will be a felony. Better hope your stock/hand grip/forearm do not break on your registered weapon as you will be SOL.

I am sure there is much more to come including magazine bans.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext...ID=15&Session= --- text of the bill

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...ms-accessories --- Illinois residents TAKE ACTION here

(2) "Assault weapon" means:
13 (A) a semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to
14 accept a large capacity magazine detachable or
15 otherwise and one or more of the following:
16 (i) only a pistol grip without a stock
17 attached;
18 (ii) any feature capable of functioning as a
19 protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger
20 hand;
21 (iii) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole
22 stock;
23 (iv) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that

SB0107 - 2 - LRB101 05141 SLF 50153 b

1 partially or completely encircles the barrel,
2 allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the
3 non-trigger hand without being burned, but
4 excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
5 (v) a muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;

Last edited by sigarms228; January 25, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 25, 2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Sharkbite

About 90% of the rifles, and some of the shotguns in my safe would make that list

Glad I dont live there.
Old January 25, 2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Wallyl

IL proposed gun control legislation

Sharkbite,

Colorado is fast turning into a blue state; lots of voting liberals in Denver/Colorado Springs/Fort Collins...it's only a matter of time before they too will enact very restrictive gun control legislation.
Old January 25, 2019, 05:41 PM   #4
sigarms228

These assualt weapon bans come up every year in Illinois and have never become law. The few republicans we had left became a much smaller group after last November so I think it may happen. Illinois has over 100 counties yet just a few of them now control politics with their urban priorities for the whole state with Crook County being the big one. We are already making plans to move to Tennessee but it it won't be for at least a few years yet. Our best hope for the future of our Second Amendment Rights is the Supreme Court but even if some of the Second Amendment infringements are overturned, that will take a while.

I agree with Sharkbite in that urban politics are now controlling more and more states. I have been a law abiding gun owner in Illinois for 50 years and now I may have to submit to Chicago style gun control. There is even talk about they may change our CCW law to be "may issue".

The gun banners in Illinois have gone from trying to be stealthy about their true motives to now being in your face proud about it.

Last edited by sigarms228; January 25, 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old January 25, 2019, 11:00 PM   #5
rickyrick

What is considered a shroud?
Old January 25, 2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Quote:
Sharkbite,

Colorado is fast turning into a blue state; lots of voting liberals in Denver/Colorado Springs/Fort Collins...it's only a matter of time before they too will enact very restrictive gun control legislation.
Dont I know it

I left Calif and moved to Nevada when it got too stupid for me in Cali. I’ll pull up stakes in Colorado when it pegs my meter as well.

Im mostly retired and the Missus is a RN with a Masters degree ( she can work anywhere).
Old January 25, 2019, 11:22 PM   #7
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
What is considered a shroud?
Any type of hand guard, plastic or metal.
Old January 25, 2019, 11:24 PM   #8
sigarms228

We plan to move to Tennessee after a few more years near Smoky Mountain area. I am retired and wife still works as pharmacist at local hospital. Solid red state with much lower taxes and housing prices too.
Old January 26, 2019, 01:22 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
...any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand...
Like, what? A scope? A front sight? A charging handle?

Quote:
(iv) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel...
So, free-float tubes are out.
As are 'chassis' stocks with a rounded fore-end profile.

They're trying to be as ambiguous as possible here, in order to gain the most possible with seemingly "innocent" language.

What's the IL definition of "large capacity magazine"? Two rounds?...
Old January 26, 2019, 01:28 AM   #10
mehavey

Quote:
(iv) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel,
allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned
So much for ANY American military arm since the 1898 Krag.
These people are idiots . . . and proud of it.

Last edited by mehavey; January 26, 2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old January 26, 2019, 01:59 AM   #11
kmw1954

Being in Wisconsin and on the border of Illinois this is frightening. I already see the migration from Illinois just because of tax purposes.
Old January 26, 2019, 09:23 AM   #12
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyl View Post
Sharkbite,

CO been a blue shade of purple for a long time..the state government reflects that. BUT Colorado Springs is anything but a 'liberal hotbed'..it is, in fact, the 4th most conservative city of that size in the US.
Quote:
Colorado Springs is the fourth-most conservative major city in the country, a new study says, while Aurora checks in at 10th-most conservative.
BUT, vote early and often..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 26, 2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Wallyl

USNRet93

Thanks for correcting me. I got my information from fake news..it showed a map of the liberal hotbeds in CO which included Colorado Springs.
Old January 26, 2019, 10:35 AM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

Want to stay on topic a bit?

The passage of such laws will spread across the country unless the Congress or SCOTUS puts a definitive stop to such. The history of Congress and SCOTUS isn't too positive.

Would the two new members of SCOTUS push Alito and Roberts to take a case (they haven't before) and make a clear decision voiding state bans? We just don't know.

The outcome of the NYC case just taken might be an indication if they clearly void that law.
Old January 26, 2019, 11:24 AM   #15
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyl View Post
USNRet93

Thanks for correcting me. I got my information from fake news..it showed a map of the liberal hotbeds in CO which included Colorado Springs.
I got that info from google-foo...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 26, 2019, 12:16 PM   #16
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Like, what? A scope? A front sight? A charging handle?

So, free-float tubes are out.
As are 'chassis' stocks with a rounded fore-end profile.

They're trying to be as ambiguous as possible here, in order to gain the most possible with seemingly "innocent" language.

What's the IL definition of "large capacity magazine"? Two rounds?...
I did a bit if research and the descriptions of what would be banned has been used in other states before. I am betting that Bloomberg or such is providing this information to states to fast track legislation so they don't have to wast time on the wording. There is also a list of specific rifles banned by name including the Ruger Mini 14. I have a post ban Colt MT6700 which has no flash hider. I wonder by the definitions if I could keep it and not register it if legally if I remove the grip and forearm. I wonder if the Ruger Mini 14 would be legal without the flash hider with it's wood stock. For me it is kind of hard to tell by the wording. Hopefully this won't pass again this time but what states like Illinois do is wait for another mass shooting and then quickly move to a vote. Maybe I will get lucky and make it to retirement and not have to deal with it.

(i) the following rifles or copies or duplicates of
21 those rifles:
22 (I) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90,
23 Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;
24 (II) AR-10;
25 (III) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite Ml5, or
26 Olympic Arms PCR;

SB0107 - 4 - LRB101 05141 SLF 50153 b

1 (IV) AR70;
2 (V) Calico Liberty;
3 (VI) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov
4 SVU;
5 (VII) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or
6 FNC;
7 (VIII) Hi-Point Carbine;
8 (IX) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;
9 (X) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;
10 (XI) Saiga;
11 (XII) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
12 (XIII) SKS with detachable magazine;
13 (XIV) SLG 95;
14 (XV) SLR 95 or 96;
15 (XVI) Steyr AUG;
16 (XVII) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;
17 (XVIII) Tavor;
18 (XIX) Thompson 1927, Thompson Ml, or Thompson
19 1927 Commando; or
20 (XX) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil
21 Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).
22 (ii) the following pistols or copies or duplicates
23 of those pistols:
24 (I) Calico M-110;
25 (II) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;
26 (III) Olympic Arms OA;

SB0107 - 5 - LRB101 05141 SLF 50153 b

1 (IV) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or
2 AB-10; or
3 (V) Uzi.
4 (iii) The following shotguns or copies or
5 duplicates of those shotguns:
6 (I) Armscor 30 BG;
7 (II) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;
8 (III) Striker 12; or
9 (IV) Streetsweeper.
Old January 26, 2019, 01:59 PM   #17
kmw1954

I have posted links before and did not save them but there are a number of Cities, Villages or Towns in northern Illinois that have already passed ordinances restricting or limiting what firearms can be owned or sold and a couple of these are very resent..

When the newly elected Governor comes out in his 1st speech and declares he is in a race to be more restrictive than California or New York on guns then to me that is an indication that needs to be closely followed. He is a Bloomberg follower.