The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 7, 2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Excoastie

Concealed Carry location

Good morning everyone!

I tried doing a search, but didn't really find what I was looking for...

How did you come about deciding where (and how) you carry concealed?

I haven't really tried various locations or holsters yet, but I figure it will be quite the learning experience. I'm just not sure where would be the most comfortable for me.

I'm planning on carrying a S&W M&P Shield 9, as I feel that my Sigma is just a bit large for every day carry.

Exco
Old November 7, 2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Fla_dogman

Trial and error, see what is comfortable yet still gives you quick access and security. Everyone is different with their preferences. It's a personal choice

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old November 7, 2016, 11:01 AM   #3
weblance

I don't have much butt. Belts don't keep my pants up very well. The weight of a pistol on a belt that doesn't stay where its supposed to, is simply a pain in the... well... it doesn't work very well for me.

I tried a Thunderwear, um... no. I tried a Kangaroo Carry. BINGO. Great method for me. I can carry a large, heavy pistol if I choose to, it adapts easily to different gun types and sizes, and its comfortable and reasonably priced. I'm a larger man, and it conceals a pistol very well under a loose shirt.

I carry a smaller 45, but I have carried a Commander size 45 with ease, and complete concealment with my Kangaroo Carry.
Old November 8, 2016, 12:54 AM   #4
jmhyer

Trial and error...yes. There is no carry location or means that will work for everyone but...

As a starting point, by far the most common place is strong side hip, either outside the waistband or inside the waistband. I have found that, for me, the most comfortable IWB holster is in the style of the Crossbreed Supertuck. This is the prototype, however, there are lots of "me, too" clones by various makers. In OWB holsters, I like the fitted/molded leather type, such as the Desantis Speed Scabbard.

I have chosen to adapt my dress to my preferred carry style rather than the other way around. Most of my slacks have the "comfort stretch" type waistband, which is great for IWB carry. I wear mostly shirts that are not tucked in. And, as pointed out above, a good belt is a necessity. Many opt for a good, stiff leather belt but I've found that I prefer a nylon type belt like the 5.11 Operator or Trainer type that is plenty stiff and infinitely adjustable for a proper fit.

Other methods I have tried but mostly rejected for various reasons are IWB appendix and small of back. Your Shield is likely too big for pocket carry, though that is a very popular and comfortable method with a smaller gun and pocket holster.

Good luck in your quest.
Old November 8, 2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Darkstar888

For me appendix IWB is most comfortable and easiest to conceal. With the 3-5:00 position I would print whenever reaching, twisting, or bending. Didn't like that.
Old November 8, 2016, 12:33 PM   #6
scottycoyote

for me it all comes down to which gun and what im wearing. I normally pocket carry a small semiauto pretty much 99% of the time in my daily life. I will sometimes add a more substantial gun if im in the city or traveling....usually I will carry 5oclock to small of the back with a compact 9mm. If im dressed up i will sometimes go the thunderwear route or ankle carry.
Old November 8, 2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Excoastie

OK, thanks for the responses everyone.

As I suspected, it's going to come down to what is most comfortable for me and what I'm wearing.

Hopefully my local gun store will let me try out a few different holsters, and I can go from there. I don't really want to buy more than one or two holsters for various situations. I already have a cheap OWB holster that I use when I go to the range, but I freely admit it's probably not one that I'd want to conceal with.

At this point, I'm thinking IWB near my right hip, and IWB near the small of my back, but that is just me pulling positions out of thin air... I suspect that I won't know until I actually carry in these locations if they'll even work for me.

I just sent out my paperwork for my CCW, and Louisiana claims to have about a 3-5 month back log on applications, I've even had one person tell me it took almost 6 months.... gonna be a long couple of months, but that also gives me time to research.

Exco
Old November 8, 2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Tinbucket

Concealed Carry Location

Right or left cant forward on belt.
Some Folks are reconsidering to shoulder carry.
In Kansas a "Betsy" got enraged and took a pistol away from a student at aa college, held him and another student then shot the legal carrier in the leg.
he was just charged with assault and battery, nothing more. Permit less open carry in Kansas.
I t was brought up maybe a cord even like Sgt Preston of Northwest Mounted Police like we played as kids, in jest.
But perhaps the shoulder carry variations is a better option. I'm not crazy about them. Pocket holsters are good if the gun is not too bulky according to some.There is the holsters that look like cell phone holsters and covered with a flip cover for smaller guns.
There have been a few maybe several accounts of guns take away from lawful carriers. If you have your hands full and unaware it can happen.
Old November 12, 2016, 11:52 AM   #9
firewrench044

Tried a variety of styles and locations

Pockets are full of other stuff, shoulders hurt from
waist carry draw, drive a lot so behind the back hurts,
ended up with cross draw -- can drive and draw from seat belted
position, no pain in the back, no pain in the shoulders when drawing

Now I just need to find a quality cross draw holster for a Colt Mustang W/thumb break
Old November 13, 2016, 07:12 PM   #10
lefteye

I suspect many of us have tried (purchased) several holsters we no longer use. I also suspect the S&W M&P Shield is just a little too large for pocket carry but I certainly don't know for sure. A DeSantis pocket carry holster is great for a handgun small enough to fit in a front pocket of pants such as jeans (and certainly pants with larger pockets.) A Smart-Carry inside the pants holster also works but access to the handgun is a little slower. There are, of course, many waist band holsters, both IWB and OWB, that would work. Finding the right holster isn't always easy and, as I noted above, can lead to a small collection.
Old November 17, 2016, 01:01 PM   #11
adamBomb

As others have said, it depends on your body type, your clothes, your gun, your comfort areas, and the holster type.

For me, I live in the south where its pretty warm a lot so pocket carry (Ruger LCP) is my best option because I am in shorts 75% of the year. I am also skinny and tall so when I do carry when I have pants on, I need a gun with a short handle (Glock 26) or it shows no matter how I carry it. I have found IWB at 1, 3, or 4 oclock are most comfortable with my holster and I adjust based on activity. For example in stores/normal day/sitting activities I keep it at 1/2 oclock but when hiking or walking a lot 3 oclock feels best. When you go the store, make sure they let you try holsters, hopefully with an unloaded gun, because it makes a big difference and holsters can get expensive if you have to buy several. And one thing I will say is that since I got my LCP my glock sits in my nightstand most of the time. Being able to pocket carry a little pistol is so easy and comfortable. Its the same size as my wallet and smaller than my iphone so I don't even notice its there. The pocket pistol for carry is probably the best firearms purchase Ive ever made.

Last edited by adamBomb; November 17, 2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old November 19, 2016, 02:18 PM   #12
FAS1

I always pocket carry a P3AT, especially around the house. When in public and carrying mt G26, it is in a CBST holster that I have used for a few years now. My gun is just behind my right hip (4 to 5 o'clock). It's relatively comfortable and discrete enough.

I have considered a small single stack for appendix carry, but haven't made the move yet.

Old November 19, 2016, 08:14 PM   #13
O4L

Like the OP, I also carry a Shield. I'm a big, tall guy and I don't like to carry IWB. I usually wear jeans and an untucked shirt. I carry mostly in a DeSantis pocket holster in my strong side rear pocket.
Old November 21, 2016, 01:23 AM   #14
boondocker385

I am probably in the minority but I carry a Glock 21 OWB in a safariland holster. I use quality belts designed for the weight (desantis, aker, Bigfoot). I cover with a light shirt in summer and jackets in winter.
Old November 22, 2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Kevin Rohrer

The OP needs to search the 1911forum and DefensiveCarry.com

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 22, 2016, 07:59 PM   #16
CrazyGolfNut

I carry a 9mm Shield at about 3 to 4. Still trying to figure out the best place.
Old November 22, 2016, 08:32 PM   #17
spacemanspiff

Quote:
I don't really want to buy more than one or two holsters for various situations. I already have a cheap OWB holster that I use when I go to the range, but I freely admit it's probably not one that I'd want to conceal with.
I felt the same way when I got my carry permit. Now, 10+ years later, and about two dozen different holsters later.......

There are times when you will want to carry openly in a OWB holster. Some days you will want deep concealment. Occasionally you will want a shoulder rig. Just accept the fact that the more options you have at your disposal, the better choices you can make as to what will work best for you to carry.

My typical choice is a tuckable IWB for my full size 1911, made by High Noon, at the 3:30-4:00 position.
Old November 24, 2016, 12:00 AM   #18
skoro

Quote:
How did you come about deciding where (and how) you carry concealed?
After trying several modes of carry, I just plain decided that dressing around a gun just wasn't in the cards for me, especially since I'm a very unlikely target.

I went to pocket carry 8 years ago and never looked back.
Old November 26, 2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Wagonman

I carry my G43 in a OWB index holster with an extended mag on my weak side EDC. If spidey sense is tingling or working side job it's a XD45 compact in a kydex OWB with an extended mag weak side
Old November 27, 2016, 02:14 AM   #20
DubC-Hicks

When I'm concealing, it's always in a kydex holster, no cant, right at 12:00. I find I can hide bigger guns easier and more comfortably. It also will never print when I bend over like it would at 3:00-5:00, and it's less likely to be spotted in general. Think about it honestly, how often do we look at other people's crotches? Practically never.

It's also the position with the fastest draw, and the easiest draw from a seated position, such as in a vehicle. I find I can hide a Glock 19 very easily under just a t-shirt, and a G17 under a hoodie. It takes a good high riding holster to keep it from jabbing you when you sit down though, I don't have any problems with my JM Custom Kydex or Henry's holsters. You also need to be fairly slim for 12:00 carry, but 1-2:00 works for slightly bigger people. I'm 6'1" and 180lbs and it works great for me.

What made me try this way, was I tried all the other positions first. 4-5:00 didn't work as it printed when bending over, it'd jab me when sitting down, and it's hard to keep retention on it when it's behind you. 3:00 also didn't work, it made me look very wide on only one side. It also rode on my hip bone and became quite uncomfortable after not too long. Then I tried appendix carry and fell in love
Old November 27, 2016, 05:29 AM   #21
Nathan

I started with where I'm comfortable with the gun pointing when concealed.....not at my crotch. Then I looked at how clothes naturally drape on me. I noticed 2 spots for a gun.....3:30P and under arm.

So, I carry IWB/owb at 3:30 or n a shoulder rig. Then I started modifying my outfits to make this work better.

Start with what is natural.

I also pocket carry in the summer when 2 layers are less desirable and I'm wearing looser pockets.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:57 PM   #22
Charlie Fox

When I was a police officer my duty gun was worn at about 3 o'clock on my duty belt. It made sense that my off duty gun should be worn in the place, but it hid better at 4 o'clock, so it's been there ever since (32 years)