The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2016, 06:21 PM   #1
rebs

Nikon spot on program ?

Is any one using this program, how do you like it and how accurate is it ?
Old November 3, 2016, 08:51 PM   #2
SJCbklyn

It's accurate if you know your actual bullet speed using a chronograph. Don't go by what the ammo manuf says.
Old November 3, 2016, 11:11 PM   #3
Dufus

^^^^^^^

I agree and absolutely.
Old November 5, 2016, 02:04 PM   #4
globemaster3

I've been using it for a few years now. I have not tested it at any appreciable range, but out to 200 on paper I have found it to be pretty accurate with bullets impacting within 1/4 to 1/2" of where it was predicted...

I use it for hunting applications and not doing competition target shooting, so my expectation level may not be as high as some. I've been happy with the results.

I just wish they would add Hornady's 6.8 SPC 120 gr SST to their database... I have to add the bullet and MV.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old November 8, 2016, 09:55 AM   #5
bman940

Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program

I have beenusing Nikon's BDC reticle scopes back before Spot On was developed. Spot On allows you to enter your shooting data and then get the distances for your BDC circles. I have heard complaints about the subtension's being to big for competition shooting and those folks are probably correct. Nikon's BDC reticle is made for hunting and Spot On will fill the freezer. As you practice with your rifle I suggest using the different BDC circle to sight with as well. The impact will walk up the target so be cafeful you aren't shooting over your backstop. As with any program the result will only be as good as the data you enter. Knowing your scope height from midbore to mid scope is important as is the actual muzzle velocity compared and not what is stated on the box. I have watched guys new to shooting hit 4 inch containers of tannerite at 600 yards which is certainly enough accuracy for a lethal shot on a deer. As always, any question's feel free to drop me a note.