The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Flight567

Looking for a new carry gun

Hello all! This is my first post on the forum. I've been lurking for a while, but hadn't joined until now because.... Well I ran into a conundrum today. My current carry pistol is a SIG p250. I love it, its been reliable, accurate, and durable. My SIG has done anything and everything that I've asked of it for the last 4 years . During which time it has been the only pistol that I've owned.

Now I have recently been considering purchasing a new pistol. Not necessarily that I need one. I would prefer to have a trigger who's reset isn't 12 miles long though. My thoughts have taken me down most roads and I had all but settled on a p320.

Until I walked into a LGS today. A lightly used (100-200 rounds) HK VP9SK with 4 spare mags (3: 15 Rd, 1 10), a bladetech OWB holdter, and a lagtech IWB. All for $550. I handled it in store a bit. Fondled the controls, and after gaining permission even field stripped it in store. It presents as well, or better than the p250 that I've been training with the 4 years. The counter man allowed me to wear the IWB for a minute or two. After sitting down with the HK on my hip I determined that I like the combination.

So I guess the question is..... What would you guys do?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old February 22, 2020, 12:01 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

HK VP9SK

I believe Bud's is getting just under $600 for the VP9sk and about $40 for each mag...all new.

Add in 2 holsters about 100 and it seems like a good deal if all is in excellent condition.

Enjoy!
Old February 22, 2020, 01:40 PM   #3
Don Fischer

The thing that might bother me about the choice is you said it was a 15 round mag? That just might bother me. I see a good carry gun as small and light weight. 15rd mag is somwhat heavier than an 8 rd mag and found in a bit larger frame gun that is heavier. For me first thing I need is something that is light to carry and easy to hide. I have a S&W Shield c9 I carry most the time and a Ruger P89 I've had for years I only carry once in a while. The Ruger it to heavy and it's longer barrel harder to hide. Hope ya don't miss understand this but I see my S&W as a concealed carry gun and with 8 rounds if it's needed the fight will likely be over in less than 8 rounds. The Ruger on the other hand I see as an assault weapon. It has a bit longer barrel and mostly it carry's twice the ammo. If my home came under attack by some warlike enemy it's the Ruger I'd grab. Then I'd see the S&W as not providing me with enough ammo. With either I carry one spare loaded magazine. I doubt the need for it in a concealed carry gun but understand it in what I call an assault type gun, my Ruger. I do not ever carry open in public in which case concealment wouldn't be that important. I view my C.C. gun as a last resort to getting out of a bad situation.
Old February 22, 2020, 02:17 PM   #4
Flight567

@Don Fischer, thanks for the well thought out reply. The VP9SK is a subcompact double stack. The 15 round magazines have sleeves to allow for a proper grip. I would carry the 10 Rd magazine with the pinky extension and possibly one 15 Rd as a backup.

Old February 22, 2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Kahr CW9

I have a CW9. Bought it new for conceal carry in April '13. Got my permit in October '13 and have had a CCW ever since (in California - yes, it's possible). I carry it about 80% of the time I carry. (As a revolver guy, I tend to carry a 7-shot S&W 357 in the cool months when I can layer up for concealment.)

I've put about 1500 rounds or so through it. I don't shoot it a lot as it's my carry piece and want to keep it in good shape. (I shoot a lot of other guns.)

I bought it new. And since I have had it, it has never - never - failed to cycle. It has fed every single round. All of them. No exceptions. And that even includes lead semi-wadcutters (notoriously difficult to feed). It has been an extremely reliable gun.

The trigger is soft and smooth; but very long in pull. I like the long pull - some may not. It shoots straight and is very accurate by any reasonable standard. I even like the stock sights and have no need/desire to change them. Sighted straight from the box. At 10 yards, it shoots poa for 115's, and about 1.5 inches higher for 124's (my preferred weight).

My CW9 is a superb piece and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Nor do I have have any need or desire for any other semi-auto carry piece. I got it right the first time
Old February 22, 2020, 03:57 PM   #6
TunnelRat

In my experience having been on the forum, what you’ll get in response are a number of people advocating for their firearm of choice. That’s totally fine. The thing is what one person likes or doesn’t like isn’t true of all people. The market is full of generally very reliable firearms. You have a harder time making a bad choice than a good choice. There’s really no substitute for holding a firearm yourself and more so shooting it yourself if possible. Oftentimes the latter isn’t possible. I have owned a lot of pistols, more than I care to remember. I wish I had been able to find what works for me sooner.

I had a VP9 for a short time. It was a good pistol. In a few training courses I’ve attended I’ve seen 1-2 VP9sks in each of those. One weird issue I’ve seen is people going to press the trigger and the blade safety not depressing fully, causing the pistol not to fire. This never happened to me, but I’ve seen it enough now that I would suggest checking to make sure your natural grip on the pistol doesn’t cause that to be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 22, 2020, 04:03 PM   #7
chemcal

from a p250 DAO to a striker; I find this interesting because that's what I did. My primary CC was a revolver, than a p250. When I thought i needed a striker, I bought a PPQ. It's very accurate and I shoot it well--but I've never used it as a CCW. Along the way I've used a p99 AS, p229, and a HK P2000 LEM(TGS). The HK is my main cc; I just can't get comfortable with a striker--but that's me.
Old February 22, 2020, 04:52 PM   #8
Flight567

Thank you all for the replies.
I suppose to more appropriately phrase my question: would you buy that VP9, or wait and purchase the p320?

Old February 22, 2020, 05:16 PM   #9
unclenunzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post

CW9...

I've put about 1500 rounds or so through it. I don't shoot it a lot as it's my carry piece and want to keep it in good shape. (I shoot a lot of other guns.)
Recommend check on replacing the recoil spring at 1500, cheap insurance. At least my PM9 needed, similar excellent pistol.
Old February 22, 2020, 05:17 PM   #10
unclenunzie

OP if you want it, you want it. Though you have trained for 4 years with a different pistol, and you like it, so as they say, "only you can be the judge".
Old February 22, 2020, 05:40 PM   #11
10-96

I'd say got for it. You're obviously a shooter who will get out and actually put in the range time for training and familiarity, so learning your way around a new set-up wont be a big bother. I've got the regular VP9, and I can't find a cotton picking thing wrong with it. I carry a CZ P10C just because I tend to group just a little bit better with it- but it's a darn close call. I love the VP line, and I don't see how you could come to regret the decision.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 22, 2020, 06:48 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine2Five View Post
I agree with every word here but shooting and holding an hk p7 makes you realize some firearms are truly superior than others.

I’ve held a P7, but sadly didn’t get a chance to fire it. It may be blasphemy but it wasn’t anything I found that life changing.

Old February 22, 2020, 07:34 PM   #13
Bilbo463

OK, I don’t own any HK pistols, but I do read a LOT of handgun reviews and I can tell you that most owners love their VP9’s. The VP 9 is highly regarded by owners and HK makes 1st class weapons. Just make sure the firearm has not been abused. If that dealer has a range, see If you can give it a test drive. If it fits your hand and and the price seems reasonable, I’d say go for it.
Old February 22, 2020, 07:40 PM   #14
dph1980

My first carry was a p250 as well. I've since sold it and gone through several edc guns from Springfield, Smith & Wesson, now back to Sig. I am currently using a p365 as my edc. I am a big fan of how it becomes invisible under clothes.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old February 22, 2020, 08:10 PM   #15
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight567 View Post
Buy a Steyr

Old February 22, 2020, 10:11 PM   #16
JERRYS.

^^^ what he said, or Glock.
Old February 22, 2020, 11:57 PM   #17
Flight567

Interesting. What would the advantage of the steyr, or a Glock be over the VP9, or P320?

I'm heading to the range tomorrow to take a look at the firing characteristics of each firearm.
Old February 23, 2020, 07:37 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
You should have shot it, lol.

I don’t think the store would have appreciated it. . I did dry fire it a bunch since I was looking at it to buy. I ended up going a different direction.

Old February 23, 2020, 07:44 AM   #19
TBM900

Quote:
Interesting. What would the advantage of the steyr, or a Glock be over the VP9, or P320?
The only "advantage" the Glock would have, is if you arrived at the range and found the shooting bench wobbly.
The Glock would be great to jam under a leg to steady the table.

Seriously, even accounting for the marketing and hype, I do not understand why so may still jump on the Glock bandwagon when there are so many better options today.

As for the Steyr, just spend some time shooting one side by side with other options. I couldn't even guess the number of people I've converted just by letting them run a number of magazines through one of mine. Excellent trigger, outstanding grip, ridiculously soft shooting, utterly reliable, incredibly fast yet accurate trap sights (once you figure out their trick). All priced equal or better than similar competition.

It's no wonder that Steyr has won so many lawsuits against said competition as other manufactures (including Sig) have been continually ripping off Steyr patients.

Both of your initial choices are very nice, quality pistols that odds are you would be very happy with.
But if you have a chance to really wring out a Steyr, especially side by side with other options, you'll likely have the decision made for you

Unfortunately you may not have the chance as Steyr effectively does zero marketing on the civilian side, something like 99% of their sales are military and police. Nor do they offer the retailer incentives & kickbacks that many other manufacturers do, their pricing is set, so there isn't a lot of incentive for stores to carry them. We only have one retailer in our state that stocks them, but they fly off the shelf almost as fast as they come in.

Good luck in your search
Old February 23, 2020, 07:47 AM   #20
USNRet93

Quote:
Hello all! This is my first post on the forum. I've been lurking for a while, but hadn't joined until now because.... Well I ran into a conundrum today. My current carry pistol is a SIG p250. I love it, its been reliable, accurate, and durable. My SIG has done anything and everything that I've asked of it for the last 4 years . During which time it has been the only pistol that I've owned.

Now I have recently been considering purchasing a new pistol. Not necessarily that I need one. I would prefer to have a trigger who's reset isn't 12 miles long though. My thoughts have taken me down most roads and I had all but settled on a p320.

Until I walked into a LGS today. A lightly used (100-200 rounds) HK VP9SK with 4 spare mags (3: 15 Rd, 1 10), a bladetech OWB holdter, and a lagtech IWB. All for $550. I handled it in store a bit. Fondled the controls, and after gaining permission even field stripped it in store. It presents as well, or better than the p250 that I've been training with the 4 years. The counter man allowed me to wear the IWB for a minute or two. After sitting down with the HK on my hip I determined that I like the combination.

I'D Get a Glock 26 with a handfull of G19 magazines with sleeves..

The Sig 320 is MUCH bigger than the HK you are looking at.

TMB900-
Quote:
Seriously, even accounting for the marketing and hype, I do not understand why so may still jump on the Glock bandwagon when there are so many better options today.
Define 'better' or 'better in your eyes'?
Lessee...Glock-not expensive, very reliable, accurate, TONS of after-market stuff, no 'involuntary' recalls like Sig(320, 365, 238).....

The gent is looking at the (problematic for some) Sig 320..I'd choose a Glock 45..in spite of the Sig hype and disinformation, I don't understand why so many jump on the Sig bandwagon when there are so many more, reliable options today...

Yes, yes, some owners of various Sigs have had ZERO issues with thousands and thousands of rounds fired..ME and MY son's Glocks-7 and counting..many thousands of rounds of every type of ammo from cheap to boutique..have had ZERO failues of any kind..but that's just me..so, It MUST be an outlier..

I have an idea..if ya don't like them, stop scratching yer head and don't buy one.
I feel the same about over-hyped SIG..but so what, I'll never buy one of those either..

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; February 23, 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old February 23, 2020, 08:06 AM   #21
TBM900

Quote:
You should have shot it, lol.
Now that's an understatement they are in a league of their own.
My wife has been shooting & collecting them since the 80's, and I myself often carried them back in the day.
But first they out-priced themselves due to relative manufacturing complexity, then were utterly priced out of the market by the wave of fantastic-plastic.

I've had the chance to talk to some of their team about producing limited runs of them for the boutique buyer market.
Supposedly they have looked into it but the numbers just never added up given the high production cost, even with pricing them into the current range for originals.

Surprised, I said... "You guys do know they typically sell in the $2-3k + range?"
They laughed and replied "Yup, but we still couldn't make enough money to make it worthwhile".
Which is sad because they are brilliant pistols that unfortunately most shooters today will never have the chance to experience.
Old February 23, 2020, 09:00 AM   #22
Flight567

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
I'D Get a Glock 26 with a handfull of G19 magazines with sleeves..

The Sig 320 is MUCH bigger than the HK you are looking at.

TMB900-

Lessee...Glock-not expensive, very reliable, accurate, TONS of after-market stuff, no 'involuntary' recalls like Sig(320, 365, 238).....

The gent is looking at the (problematic for some) Sig 320..I'd choose a Glock 45..in spite of the Sig hype and disinformation, I don't understand why so many jump on the Sig bandwagon when there are so many more, reliable options today...

Yes, yes, some owners of various Sigs have had ZERO issues with thousands and thousands of rounds fired..ME and MY son's Glocks-7 and counting..many thousands of rounds of every type of ammo from cheap to boutique..have had ZERO failues of any kind..but that's just me..so, It MUST be an outlier..

I have an idea..if ya don't like them, stop scratching yer head and don't buy one.

I feel the same about over-hyped SIG..but so what, I'll never buy one of those either..
I've looked into Glock. Held a few, shot a couple. I'm just not a fan. I wanted to want one because the magazines are cheap and plentiful... I just couldn't do it.

The Sig would be a compact (with an xcarry frame) and the HK is a sub, though it does have 15 rd magazines with sleeves. I currently CC a compact size frame. The size difference doesn't mean a lot to me.

As for the reliability of the SIG? I haven't ever had trouble with mine. I understand though that the p320 is a different action and as such a totally different firearm.

Old February 23, 2020, 09:24 AM   #23
USNRet93

Quote:
I've looked into Glock. Held a few, shot a couple. I'm just not a fan. I wanted to want one because the magazines are cheap and plentiful... I just couldn't do it.

The Sig would be a compact (with an xcarry frame) and the HK is a sub, though it does have 15 rd magazines with sleeves. I currently CC a compact size frame. The size difference doesn't mean a lot to me.

As for the reliability of the SIG? I haven't ever had trouble with mine. I understand though that the p320 is a different action and as such a totally different firearm.

Ya know, that's just fine..What I'm rankling about is this 'I don't understand why?' part when ANYBODY mentions Glock.

BUT shoot it if you can and then decide which is BEST for YOU...not me or any other member of the peanut gallery..

BTW-If Glock wasn't in play, I'd get the HK..NOT the sig320...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 23, 2020, 09:59 AM   #24
Flight567

Quote:
Ya know, that's just fine..What I'm rankling about is this 'I don't understand why?' part when ANYBODY mentions Glock.

BUT shoot it if you can and then decide which is BEST for YOU...not me or any other member of the peanut gallery..

BTW-If Glock wasn't in play, I'd get the HK..NOT the sig320...
Is there a reason that you would have the HK over the SIG? I don't keep up with the industry that well. I just know what I like, and what works well for me and the people I work with.

Old February 23, 2020, 10:30 AM   #25
TBM900

Quote:
I already did above

Quote:
Glock-not expensive
There are many better options priced similar to or less than Glocks

Quote:
very reliable
I've had two come apart in my hands.
I've known & professionally worked with many others who have had issues.
An agency I worked for had their entire inventory replaced due to cracking frames.
Several other local agencies have had similar problems that I witnessed personally.
There have been numerous other agencies nation wide that have had issues.

Quote:
accurate
No more or less so than other common pistols

Quote:
TONS of after-market stuff
I've easily ordered several sets worth of "spares packages" for my Steyr's...
They collect dust as I've never needed a single part, nor have I ever found the need to "modify" anything on them as they are perfect for me right out of the box.

Quote:
no 'involuntary' recalls

This one I am truly shocked by... seriously.

I couldn't even guess the number of recalls Glock has had over the years, it has to be in the hundreds by now. When I was still active LE we would get notices regularly (I had to post them) I would estimate at close to once a month. Heck just do a 5 second search on line for list after list of Glock recalls to see for yourself, then do another on LE agencies that have had issues.

There probably aren't any major manufactures that haven't had a recall, or two, or three... even Steyr, so to assert that Glock has had "none" is truly laughable. It's actually quite shocking to see the number of issues, recalls, and inventory replacements they have gone through just in LE markets alone. Then there was the big fiasco a few years back with one of their new "generations", I forget the details but it was all over forums, youtube, etc, for months.

Obviously I stepped on your toes with my opinion. There are many highly experienced shooters who use and fully trust Glocks. But I do not even have to step further than my own personal, first hand experience to never touch another one. The sickening feeling as the pistol suddenly looses most of its weight in your hand... followed by the thud as the slide hits the floor a few feet away... not once but twice... tends to have a lasting impact.

Buy what you like, drink the Kool-Aid, I truly hope you enjoy it.
But I'll take one of the many better options