The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2020, 02:29 PM   #1
mel80

taurus g2c?

anyone own one, friend of mine wants to get one and she asked me about them but i know nothing about them

it will be her first handgun she doesnt plan on carrying , just a nightstand gun for her at home
she shot my glock 19 and hated it , liked my xd sc and shot really well with it , i didnt bother to bring out the lc9 or the 1911 for her though

did take her to the local gun shop and she tried out a few diff guns in her hands walther pk380 , g2c and a g3 g26 g43 since that was stuff in her price range she didnt like any of the glocks
Old February 17, 2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Forte S+W

I don't own one, but I was considering a G2c as a new concealed carry gun, and having watched a lot of videos as well as read a lot of articles on the G2, it seems to be a good, moderately priced pistol.

I would tell your friend to check one out in person at a gun shop, ask permission look it over thoroughly, break it down, make sure it appears to be in good working order, and if it checks out, buy it.
Old February 18, 2020, 01:17 AM   #3
artoo

I own 2 G2C models and find them to be fine guns. One is used and one is a new one. I find them to be fine pistols.

I did go with the Taurus TH9 full size frame model as it is easier and a bit more user friendly for me. It is a D/A then S/A for each shot after.

She might want to try other Taurus models or other brands, makes, and models of guns to get the right fit for her.
Old February 18, 2020, 04:59 AM   #4
Carl the Floor Walker

Do not own one, but have shot one. Seems like a nice gun. Especially for the Price. Actually the quality kind of surprised me. I do not own a Taurus, never have, but nothing against them.
Old February 18, 2020, 08:18 AM   #5
sigarms228

By far her best bet is to try one out at the range though new shooters typically don't even know how to grip an auto loading pistol correctly without a lesson from a professional trainer, which most ranges offer for minimal fee, which IMO makes it difficult to properly evaluate a pistol. For not much more though I would definitely have her look at the Ruger SR9C and Ruger has much better warranty support than Taurus if she ever needed it.
Old February 18, 2020, 10:49 AM   #6
mel80

i showed her a sr9c last night , she did good at the range with my guns , she has shot some guns before mostly .22 stuff in rifle and pistols, surprisingly enough she did the best with my xd which i figured she would do the worst with. the only thing she doesnt like about my xd is the no manual saftey

unfortunatly we dont have a gunstore/range here were she can try out different guns best case is she can get various guns in her hands at our local gun store to see how they feel in her hands

im going to borrow a couple different handguns from a good friend for her to try and shoot to help her find something
Old February 18, 2020, 01:19 PM   #7
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post
i showed her a sr9c last night , she did good at the range with my guns , she has shot some guns before mostly .22 stuff in rifle and pistols, surprisingly enough she did the best with my xd which i figured she would do the worst with. the only thing she doesnt like about my xd is the no manual saftey

unfortunatly we dont have a gunstore/range here were she can try out different guns best case is she can get various guns in her hands at our local gun store to see how they feel in her hands

im going to borrow a couple different handguns from a good friend for her to try and shoot to help her find something
She was not content that your XD had a grip safety?

If she must have a thumb safety I would definitely show her the M&P 2.0 Compacts also. Those are sweet pistols and with the number of grip modules that they come with she should be able to find one that fits her hand great.
Old February 18, 2020, 01:29 PM   #8
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228 View Post
She was not content that your XD had a grip safety?

If she must have a thumb safety I would definitely show her the M&P 2.0 Compacts also. Those are sweet pistols and with the number of grip modules that they come with she should be able to find one that fits her hand great.
i tried to explain it to her how it works , but she says she really would feel better with a thumb safety, i get it though years ago when i got my first handgun and started to carry i didnt wanna touch anything without a manual thumb safety, now i dont want anything with one
Old February 18, 2020, 01:56 PM   #9
Forte S+W

If she liked the Ruger SR9c, then that's definitely a good choice as well.
Old February 18, 2020, 07:06 PM   #10
glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post
anyone own one, friend of mine wants to get one and she asked me about them but i know nothing about them

it will be her first handgun she doesnt plan on carrying , just a nightstand gun for her at home
she shot my glock 19 and hated it , liked my xd sc and shot really well with it , i didnt bother to bring out the lc9 or the 1911 for her though

did take her to the local gun shop and she tried out a few diff guns in her hands walther pk380 , g2c and a g3 g26 g43 since that was stuff in her price range she didnt like any of the glocks

Check out Hickok45 on you tube. Taurus pt111g2 review. The G2 is the same as the g2C the only difference is the Taurus key slide lock is removed.
anyway.

Last edited by glove; February 19, 2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old February 18, 2020, 08:50 PM   #11
GarandTd

glove, by slide lock, do you mean the safety lock that locks the slide with a key or the slide doesn't lock back on empty?
Old February 18, 2020, 09:02 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
glove, by slide lock, do you mean the safety lock that locks the slide with a key or the slide doesn't lock back on empty?
The internal security lock has been removed for the G2C.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 19, 2020, 10:17 AM   #13
triplebike

I owned the G2C. It was reliable, but like a lot of Taurus products it didn't hold up to heavy use. If she's not going to fire it that much and it's going to sit in her nightstand much of it's life, it should be an ok home defense gun. When mine failed I traded it in for a Ruger SR9C. Best gun move I ever made. The Ruger is far , far superior in every way.
Old February 19, 2020, 10:40 AM   #14
osbornk

I have the earlier PT111-G2 which is the G2C with the lock. I don't know where triplebike comes up with them not holding up. I've had several Taurus handguns made from the mid 70s through new and I have never experienced an problems with them holding up. They made some not so good guns but I avoided them and bought ones that had been proven.
Old February 19, 2020, 11:08 AM   #15
triplebike

Early last year I purchased my 1st ever Taurus firearms. A TX22 & G2C 9MM. After a little less that 5000 rds the TX22's slide cracked. After about 3000 rds fired the G2C developed spider cracks in the metal on the under side of the slide next to the firing pin assembly. The TX22 was 4 months old, The G2C 3 months old. Only factory ammo & cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. Way to many better choices in the gun world then Taurus.
Old February 19, 2020, 11:26 AM   #16
Forte S+W

Quote:
Early last year I purchased my 1st ever Taurus firearms. A TX22 & G2C 9MM. After a little less that 5000 rds the TX22's slide cracked. After about 3000 rds fired the G2C developed spider cracks in the metal on the under side of the slide next to the firing pin assembly. The TX22 was 4 months old, The G2C 3 months old. Only factory ammo & cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. Way to many better choices in the gun world then Taurus.
I don't suppose that you took any pics of either slide, did you? Because I've never heard of any such thing occurring before and I would very much like to see it.
Old February 19, 2020, 11:28 AM   #17
glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Yes the key lock.
anyway.
Old February 19, 2020, 11:32 AM   #18
glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
If that is the case send it back to Taurus they will fix it or send you a new pistol.
anyway.
Old February 19, 2020, 11:47 AM   #19
triplebike

Here's the TX22 slide. I did take a picture of the G2C as well but it's to blurry (took it with my crappy cell phone)

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...1&d=1582130773
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190613_125240.jpg (103.1 KB, 76 views)
Old February 19, 2020, 11:56 AM   #20
triplebike

I did send the tx22 back. Taurus had it for 11 weeks. Replaced the slide, BUT they did not replace what caused the damage and crack, the recoil assembly. Taurus said they fired 32 rds of mini mag to test it before they returned it. When I removed the new slide there was already damage done by the poorly designed recoil assembly, it never left my LGS traded it. As soon as I saw the cracks in the G2C I traded it also. (same LGS) At that point I wanted nothing more to do with Taurus's shoddy ,poorly designed products.
Old February 19, 2020, 12:07 PM   #21
sigarms228

Quote:
I did send the tx22 back. Taurus had it for 11 weeks
Good info and why I recommended the Ruger SR9C. If someone owns only one pistol then waiting 11 weeks for a repair turn around is horrible customer service. I have read nothing but good about Ruger's customer service. The Ruger is not that much more for a far better pistol.
Old February 19, 2020, 02:57 PM   #22
Forte S+W

Quote:
Here's the TX22 slide. I did take a picture of the G2C as well but it's to blurry (took it with my crappy cell phone)
At first I couldn't see the crack, but upon closer inspection I see it on the edge of the guide rod housing. That definitely doesn't look normal, but then again the metal looks a bit thin there, so maybe it just isn't beefy enough to hold up to 3000+ rounds of High Velocity ammo?

Overall, I'm not nearly as suprised by the proposition of the TX22's slide cracking considering that it's aluminum alloy as I am that the steel slide of the G2 cracking, especially considering that they appear to be quite thick, meaning that something is amiss concerning metallurgical composition of the slide causing it to be brittle, so it's a shame that you don't have any clear pictures of it.

Last edited by Forte S+W; February 19, 2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old February 19, 2020, 03:46 PM   #23
triplebike

On the G2C it was the metal plates on either side of firing pin assembly that had the spidercracks. I looked at the display at my LGS just to make sure it wasn't me and they were not on their display gun. So mine definitely had issues and I traded it on the spot. (I did tell the LGS about it)
Old February 19, 2020, 03:57 PM   #24
Forte S+W

Good on you for that. There are a lot of dishonest folks who pawn off their problems on others without so much as a word, evidently without reservations in regards to the consequences their decision could have on others.
Case in point, a lot of gunshops never bother to break down the firearms they sell on consignment or receive in trades, ergo if you sell a damaged, broken, problematic, or potentially dangerous firearm without informing the buyer of it, then that gun will most likely end up in the hands of someone who needs it, and they could end up hurt or killed one way or another by it. I couldn't live with that on my conscience, but apparently some folks either don't think about it or are just that callous.
Old February 19, 2020, 04:19 PM   #25
triplebike

I agree 100%. I wouldn't want it done to me so why would I do it to others, I believe there's karma. Actually I had it sold and was giving it a good cleaning when I noticed the cracks. Called the buyer and cancelled the sale. I've been going to the same LGS for about 10 yrs now and with loyalty comes rewards. They brought back my TX22 at almost what I paid for it new and only lost about $50 on the G2C. The TX22 was replaced with a Ruger MKIV 22/45 & the G2C was replaced with a Ruger SR9C. So fortunately there was a sliver lining for me with the Rugers.