The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 22, 2020, 08:22 PM   #1
montana09

NM Blackhawk Barrel Swap

I have a question regarding a barrel swap on a NM blackhawk. If I were to swap the barrel on my current one for a complete shorter barrel would the sights, ejector housing, etc all line up and the cylinder gap be correct right off or would there need to be some machining done to get it all to function correctly? Trying to decide if it would be cheaper to swap barrels or just have the existing one cut down?
Old January 23, 2020, 08:48 AM   #2
burrhead

Unless you win the gunsmithing lottery, the shoulder or forcing cone will have to be faced off to set the cylinder gap. The cheapest thing to do is to sell the gun you have and buy the one you want.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 23, 2020, 01:56 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...would the..." It'd be a definite maybe. Revolver barrels require fitting and are not drop in parts. It'd probably be best to contact Ruger and talk to 'em about it.
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/
Old January 24, 2020, 09:31 AM   #4
KEYBEAR

The new barrel will need to be fit 99% sure . Also you do not say what barrel you have now and what barrel you go to . The cheaper way to go is cut the barrel you have now . All you would need is a sight base just use the one from the cut off barrel . Also a taller front sight Get one from Ruger (the tallest one they have ) Have it cut shorter as needed . You do not say if you have a gunsmith you can go to ? that is a cheap fix I have three had done and cost total is around $75 bucks to do . A good smith can do this and no reblue needed . It would help to know were you live we may know a good gunsmith ,
If your thinking just buy a new Ruger (Shorter barrel) it will be a small grip frame . I like the bigger grip of the Super Blackhawk .

Last edited by KEYBEAR; January 24, 2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old January 24, 2020, 03:19 PM   #5
montana09

Thanks guys the main reason I ask is that every local gunsmith I've spoken with has quoted me $350+ to cut down and recrown a barrel, a price I find ridiculous. Luckily some searching found a gunsmith that's certified with great reviews 4 hrs away that'll do it for $75
Old January 25, 2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Pathfinder45

I would think that you should contact Ruger and see what they would charge to change the barrel for you. I heard that they have good customer service.
Old January 25, 2020, 09:22 PM   #7
J.G. Terry

My Marshall Dillon Special

My Marshall Dillon Special: When the Vaquero was fairly new on the market, I picked up a 4 7/8" cheap. The barrel had some damage at the muzzle. Returned the gun to Ruger and had a 71/2" barrel installed.

In the here and now, one project gun is a 44 Magnum Old Style Vaquero.I called the company on this project. I could have a different barrel installed. The basic prices are in the website to give you some idea of the cost. I still have that Marshall Dillon rebarreled Vaquero. It's a shooter and looks good with the Ajax stag grips.

Added: I also had a standard SBH rebarreled with a 10 1/2" barrel, As suggested in earlier posts contact the company.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; January 25, 2020 at 09:30 PM.