The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 16, 2020, 10:16 AM   #1
tank1949

ARMS or Leupold losing POI?

I am having issues with my Leupold Mark 4 M1 or the ARMS quick release rings holding POI. A just installed them onto a new RR X-1, 308. I hand weigh charges, use only FC 308 hulls and CCI LR primers. Yet, my groups go from sub MOA to 3 MOA from 10 shot groups to 10 shot groups. I mainly shoot 41 grains of 8208 or 40 grains of AR Comp and 168 SMK bullets. If the RR was a bolt gun, I'd first suspect a bedding issue. A few years back Leupold replaced my Mark 4 with a new one after identifying internal spring problems causing similar issues. Now, the similar issues have returned. However, perhaps the ARMS quick release are not strong enough to maintain consistent MOA groups on a 308 and only suited for .223 rifle recoil. I have Warne quick release rings on my SA M1A that provide a rock solid mount system. No POI change!!! Has anyone has issues with ARMS quick release rings on 308s??? My next option is to change scopes and use Warne rings. However, unnecessary range visits are both expensive to my pocket book and to my shoulder. The shoulder is the worst!
Old January 16, 2020, 10:25 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I own two of those scopes and one of my friends has a couple. Neither of us has ever had a problem. He's using one on a .338 Laupa and a couple of AR's. I'd try another scope and see what happens. That will quickly rule in/out if it's the scope. Even Leupolds can have a problem once in a great while (actually, I've never had one Leupold fail and I have a LOT of them). Good luck.
Old January 16, 2020, 02:08 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...41 grains of..." Two near max loads might be the issue. Not likely though.
You ever tried the thing with non-QD rings?
Don't think I'd be comparing an M1A with a Rock River AR-10 clone. Ain't the same thing. And it can still be the bedding, just a different kind. Lotta places for a AR-10 clone to move.
Grab the thing and wiggle(technical term) it to see if there's any movement between the upper and lower. Especially at the hinge. Do the same thing with the fore stock and the scope rail. Assuming said rail's screw are tight in the first place.
Old January 17, 2020, 07:50 AM   #4
tank1949

Thanks to all, but I have done all the above and will replace scope and rings. At first I thought inconsistencies with 168 Hornady match but then similar to 168 SMK!
Old January 17, 2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Bart B.

Do you shoot other rifles MOA at most at 100 yards?
Old January 17, 2020, 05:28 PM   #6
bfoosh006

Sure sounds like a scope or mount issue.

Are you removing the scope and rings often ? ( IE actually using the QD levers. )

If so... make sure when you replace the QD mounts, that the "cross bar" / "index lug" is firmly against the muzzle end of the picatinney rail slot.
Old January 17, 2020, 07:35 PM   #7
tank1949

I have not removed ARMS/Leupold scope/rings and reattached. My M1A quick release Warne/Swarvoski combination loses about 1/2 MOA or less when removing and reattaching. It has a rock solid steel rail. I just had eye surgery so a range visit to test another scope is at least 3 weeks away. I'll lap ARMS and mount a Schmidt Bender on X-1. I know my Schmidt doesn't move (inside). If much better, I'll leave ARMS on and replace back with Leupold. Hopefully, I will not have to send Leupold back, AGAIN! THX