The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 10, 2019, 05:52 PM   #1
stagpanther

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands

Looks like it's going to be a while for all the parts for my 350 legend build to find their way to my house--but the 170 interlocs did come in today.

For some crazy reason, a spare 9 x 25 Dillon case was sitting right on my desktop and seemed to cry out--"wonder if that fits?"

It goes in perfectly and held well (except of course for the nose deformation due to a hollow point compatible seating stem). I then wondered, wonder if it will freely drop into a 9 x 25 chamber and still have full case support.

It does.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2513.jpg (115.4 KB, 660 views)
Old December 10, 2019, 06:29 PM   #2
TXAZ

If you decide to fire it, make sure to take lots of pictures / videos

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 10, 2019, 07:15 PM   #3
stagpanther

wouldn't use it in a pistol--but a well balanced DI AR rifle barrel ( fantasy project that I've never been able to get out of my mind)--that might be a different story. : )
Old December 15, 2019, 05:01 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
If you decide to fire it, make sure to take lots of pictures / videos
My stupid curiosity got the better of me--so I did in fact try loading up the 350 legend bullets in a 9 x 25 Dillon.

The problems with my little fantasy were this: they all have pretty long shanks which compromise powder space. The Dillon chamber itself has no problems handling the longer bullets as long as the base of the ogive wasn't too far forward. Other than that, shooting out of my glock was a matter of whether the cartridge would fit in the magazine.

The 140 gr ftx I thought would be super being shorter than the other bullets--but it's a true .357--which meant expanding the neck. but the base of ogive was to far forward to allow seating even in the cannelure. Scratched that idea.

The 170 interlock was just a tad too long--and while it could be seated to chamber--it would necessarily intrude too much into the case and also would have the base of ogive down into the short neck--so scratched that idea too.

Winchester's 180 power point turned out to just barely fit and still leave room for a reasonable amount of powder, though playing around with quickload I don't think I'll ever be able to get much more than 1300 fps out of it. Still, I loaded up 4 cartridges with a soft shooting charge of 8.5 grs of AA7 to see what would happen. I shot at 25 yds and. sorry to say, I wasn't shooting for target accuracy--I just wanted t see if it could shoot.

Labradar grabbed the following stats, only 4 shots but still not bad for a glock pistol I think. The average velocity was maybe 50 fps faster than what I got from QL when jiggering around the data.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg winnie180350legend 9x25dillon8.5AA7.jpg (34.4 KB, 469 views)
Old December 20, 2019, 11:43 AM   #5
stagpanther

Decided to try another 350L appropriate bullet--the 140 ftx--in the 9 x 25 Dillon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2556.jpg (161.6 KB, 349 views)
Old December 20, 2019, 02:12 PM   #6
stagpanther

They shoot fine--but the rubber nose tends to hang on chambering due to "Glock angulation."
Old January 18, 2020, 05:44 PM   #7
red caddy

No experience with the 350 L.

I jumped to the 7.62 X 25 in my CZ-52, threaded and chambered up a used Ruger . 30 cal.-24 inch barrel for my Savage AXIS. excellent short range
(< 200 yd.) varmint cartridge.

No feed hassels, cheap to shoot, 2200 FPS, very accurate, all around fun gun.

No re inventing of the wheel required.

RED