The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old September 13, 2019, 05:39 AM   #251
Bartholomew Roberts

It will be interesting to see when they start showing up in public with weird optics. One of the proposed benefits Milley discussed is that they are going to be able to train using new optics without firing real ammo. So far though, the rifles are shown either bare or with traditional optics.
Old September 13, 2019, 05:54 AM   #252
stagpanther

What's the benefit of not using live ammo--other than maybe trigger control practice?
Old September 13, 2019, 06:13 AM   #253
Bartholomew Roberts

The benefit is this ammo is expensive and not all of the existing training areas are going to be able to accommodate a projectile with .270 Win Mag ballistics that can penetrate any currently fielded body armor at 600m.

But what Milley was describing wasn’t dryfire practice, it was more virtual reality type training using the same optic they would use in the field,
Old September 13, 2019, 06:19 AM   #254
stagpanther

As a taxpayer I'd MUCH rather my money go to real world live practice than having a half billion dollar jet sit on the tarmac most of the time.
Old September 27, 2019, 11:27 AM   #255
MagnumWill

All three of those cartridges are going to require a re-tool from legacy processes. IMO I think Textron's CT entry has the greatest benefit and will actually "move the needle" for the warfighter in regards to weight. If companies now could make current cases out of polymer/steel case heads/etc. they'd be doing it now. We've been using brass cases for over a century now, there's only so many times we can re-hash it without introducing new technology or higher pressure.

Quote:
6.8x51????

How do you run a ctg that size in a platform the size of a 249?
Exactly right, another vote for CT ammunition. One must think, if the Armed Forces wanted a higher power .308, they'd just keep the M14 and 240B

Last edited by MagnumWill; September 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old September 27, 2019, 03:44 PM   #256
Bartholomew Roberts

I think you’re right on that Will. Unless the other rifles just really outperform the CT rifle, it will be tough to beat the logistical footprint of a CT cartridge.
Old September 28, 2019, 11:31 AM   #257
MagnumWill

...the only reason they wouldn't is they weren't serious about the entire endeavor and abandon it again... remember, their decision is going to end up on the other side of an election...

...and (slightly OT) something my subconscious tells me is that if the blue side would never, ever would want AR15's to NOT resemble "weapons of war"...

Last edited by MagnumWill; September 28, 2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old September 28, 2019, 09:36 PM   #258
RC20

Not trying to start anything, but as a progressive, my take on gun issues has less than zero affect on what the military needs to do their job. I support whatever gives the women and men out there on the pointy end of the spear the best chance to come home. I love Javelin. Best thing for infantry since sliced bread.

Effective wise I think the M16/4 platform is an ergonomic atrocity and the 5.56 is a poor cartridge that is best used on wood chucks and watermelons.

I also think you are never going to get past the technology disconnect between a bullet that expand and kills cleanly (human or animals) and one that you want to poke holes though things that resist it (armor, walls, bricks etc) - 7.62 ball just leaves a slightly bigger hole. The day someone figure out a bullet that adjust itself to what its hit is going to be a fine one.

What hopefully come out of this is a ammo that is close to 5.56 in weight and has the ballistics to be effective out to 800-1000 yards (which means it works fine under that)

The real world says you won't alwyas have mortars or air support to deal with a guy behind a rock with a rifle 1000 yard out and the boots on the ground have to handle it.
Old September 30, 2019, 05:19 AM   #259
jetinteriorguy

Ok, here is what I don't get. At the same time they are developing a new rifle on a fast track they have also ordered so many new rifles that Colt is discontinuing the sale of AR15's to the public. What gives? Or is it more likely the demand for a genuine Colt on the open market is so small it's not worth pursuing. But, this still doesn't explain ordering so many new rifles this close to them being replaced.
Old September 30, 2019, 07:01 PM   #260
Bartholomew Roberts

Olin (part of the AAI/Textron/H&K team) wins the contract to run Lake City. A sign?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...unition-plant/
Old October 2, 2019, 09:07 PM   #261
MagnumWill

Quote:
Not trying to start anything, but as a progressive, my take on gun issues has less than zero affect on what the military needs to do their job.
I needed to be a little more clear than I was. I'm more concerned about the program being sacrificed from a governmental financial and optics perspective, in order to fit a narrative that isn't conducive to our defense department. I'm right there with you man.
Old October 16, 2019, 07:16 PM   #262
Bartholomew Roberts

General Dynamics team reveals their entry - the RM277, a bullpup configuration using hybrid ammo: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...pon-the-rm277/
Old October 16, 2019, 08:25 PM   #263
Rob228

The next fight isn't going to be against dirt farmers. Being able to punch through level 3-4 armor is going to be a consideration. As is noise signature and the inevitable logistical support to the weapon itself.

Not a problem I would want to have to solve, but I'm excited to see what comes of it, mostly because I have spent 18 years beating up M16s and M4s in various configurations and they have always done what I've needed from them. I do think that maybe a focus on the next infantry rifle may not be what we need to be looking at with today's problem set, but I also just sat in an 8 hour class that pretty much said if we don't learn to think differently and soon we are going to lose the next war (with some pretty convincing arguments).

Any way we go with this, if we put a better product in the hands of the LCpl walking point, its not a bad thing.

Last edited by Rob228; October 16, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old October 17, 2019, 07:59 AM   #264
Jim Watson

Quote:
General Dynamics team reveals their entry - the RM277, a bullpup configuration using hybrid ammo:
An automatic rifle with a 20 round magazine. Shades of the BAR.
Old October 17, 2019, 09:01 AM   #265
MTT TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
General Dynamics team reveals their entry - the RM277, a bullpup configuration using hybrid ammo: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...pon-the-rm277/
If performance is good it is what I would pick. There is potential for a lot of problems with the unproven tech of the ammo but if that is worked around it has all kinds of potential.
Old October 17, 2019, 05:38 PM   #266
American Man

I would like to see the M203 equivalent already mounted on it. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the M249, but the 203 is a must have. And I'm so glad they are worried about the weight... now that I'm retired. lol
Old October 17, 2019, 07:02 PM   #267
Bartholomew Roberts

For all the talk about the rifle, it seems to me the two big problems are:

1) We don’t detect enemies past 300m
2) With iron sights, even our best shooters do poorly past 300m.

It would be interesting to see combat statistics of early OIF/OEF Marines (Muskets, ACOGs, and trained to shoot 600m) vs. same period Army (M4s, Aimpoints, 300m ranges). If we’ve made some advances in better hit percentages, that comparison should show it.

In any case, it seems to me that optics are going to be more important than the rifle in helping this fulfill its stated role. I noticed though that every picture we’ve seen shows pretty plain vanilla sights mounted.
Old October 17, 2019, 07:45 PM   #268
MTT TL

Gosh if an ELCAN Specter DR 1-4x is "pretty plain vanilla" I gotta ask what you think qualifies as "high speed, low drag"? Certainly my wallet would disagree with you.
Old October 17, 2019, 07:52 PM   #269
Bartholomew Roberts

Eh, it’s a 1-4x variable. It might boost identification and hits past historical examples; but it isn’t going to create a 200% improvement and that’s what this rifle’s being built around.
Old October 17, 2019, 08:16 PM   #270
MTT TL

The soldier will be able to see objects at 400% their normal size.
Old October 18, 2019, 08:07 AM   #271
Ben Dover

We know that big, heavy bullets are good man-stoppers.

Heck, just ask George Custer!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old October 18, 2019, 09:40 PM   #272
rickyrick

Ben Dover, your screen name made my day.
Old October 19, 2019, 08:29 AM   #273
davidsog

Oh, Are they still not doing this at the Pentagon??
Old October 19, 2019, 01:46 PM   #274
rickyrick

Probably not located at the pentagon per se, but yes, the project is still in the trial/prototype phase.
The rifles have yet to be approved, produced or issued at this point.
Old October 19, 2019, 04:45 PM   #275
Ben Dover

rickyrick!
Glad i could help!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Closed Thread