The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2011, 06:22 PM   #51
LSnSC

Ive got an 870 Express thats about 15 years old. Its been submerged in salt water, had a muddly lab stomp all over it and lived in the bottom of a duck boat for weeks on end with little less than an occasional hosing off and oiling. Its shot God only knows how many shells and killed about every type of game that can be killed without a hiccup. Ive shot 25's in trap and skeet with it, killed 5 deer in about 30 minutes on deer control hunt, killed turkeys, killed hogs, shot limits of ducks, doves, and geese. My youngest is still shooting ducks with it. If I needed a shotgun for survival, I would choose it over my 1000 dollar Berettas any day. Hard to imagine anyone thinking they could improve on that record for any amount of money.
Old December 12, 2011, 06:29 PM   #52
WVsig

Quote:
$ 170.00 parkerize (not necessary)
$ 45.00 extension tube (factory guns have one)
$ 120.00 sights (Bad idea. Too slow and could get you killed at close range)
$ 75.00 butt stock (not necessary)
$ 30.00 foreend (not necessary)
$ 15.00 jumbo head safety (not necessary and dumb)
$ 45.00 sling (not necessary and dumb)
$ 12.00 spring and follower kit (can get at Brownells)
$ 45.00 sling (not necessary and dumb)
$ 15.00 swivel and mount (not necessary)

There is no difference in the action of a police, a wingmaster, and an express. They are the same gun.
I agree with a lot of what is in this post. These days the difference between the different model 870s is not what it used to be.

I have a pretty basic setup which works for me.

Used 870 Police I paid $175
Knoxx Spec Opps $50
Wilson Tube 870 Extension tube with follower $50
Houge Handall $10

Total: $285

I used to have a Speedfeed stock on it but sold that replaced it with youth stock for short length of pull but ended up with the Knoxx setup which I pick up used. Still have the youth stock somewhere I think LOL. Does the trick for a home defense gun anyone in the house can pickup and run.
Old December 12, 2011, 07:03 PM   #53
oldguy870

I hunt waterfowl with my 28" 870 Express. It has worked wet, muddy, and even with junk in the action. They are simple to operate, disassemble and clean. They do every thing you could want from a shotgun.

I have 18" factory barrels for my stock express guns for home defense. It takes seconds to convert a hunting gun to a home defense gun. I prefer no mag extension because the gun handles better for me that way.

I also have a nice Wingmaster I use for upland hunting. The truth is that it shoots exactly like my Express. The Wingmaster has a different barrel profile. But, both actions feel the same. The only practical difference is cosmetics.

The 870 is one of the best values in firearms a person can find. They just work without strapping a bunch of useless gadgets on them. Less is more.

If you need a project because you are bored and need something to work on, buy Legos or a model car kit.
Old December 12, 2011, 07:17 PM   #54
abelacres

WVsig how much did you pay for the Tatical Kitty Cat?
Old December 12, 2011, 07:22 PM   #55
WVsig

All 19lbs of him came for free.... LOL
Old December 13, 2011, 04:12 PM   #56
RsqVet

I personally prefer the 870 police guns less to mess with or undo to get them where I want them. For an express I would look used, I have seen some in the 200 dollar area at pawn. That is a lot of gun for very little dollars.

If I saw a mint Wilson 870 used at the price of a new 870 p I would think about the Wilson just to have it, they are good sound guns but not worth it at MSRP to me.

I say thus based on my observation that the Wilson delivers nothing more in the box than an 870p. It is not tighter, smoother better fitted or more reliable than a 870p most of which can be had with whatever bits you want from the factrory or have these added in a matter of minutes. So why spend the cash.

Now 1911's would be another ball of wax, there are few factory 1911's that will come close to the fit of a semi-custom like Wilson. Of course Wilson is the most expensive of the semi-custom guys, so there are better values out there in 1911 's as well. Guess someone has to pay for all the wilson ads and marketing.
Old December 13, 2011, 06:53 PM   #57
shortwave

Quote:
All 19lbs of him came for free...LOL
...and he doesn't look one bit impressed to be in the pics.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:53 PM   #58
WVsig

Quote:
...and he doesn't look one bit impressed to be in the pics.
No doubt... he is saying what the what.

I would have totally setup my shotgun differently.

Only someone with really short arms needs a 13" length of pull. LOL
Old December 13, 2011, 09:27 PM   #59
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Actually, a 13" LOP is often preferred by folks who wear body armor or are on the smaller side.

I'm a behemoth, and I can make 13" work, though I prefer a bit more.

The standard stock works better most of the time, my wingshooter 870 goes to 15" and works better.

A defensive shotgun is used more like a rifle, though,and being stocked like a rifle is no handicap.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:29 PM   #60
WVsig

Quote:
Actually, a 13" LOP is often preferred by folks who wear body armor or are on the smaller side.

I'm a behemoth, and I can make 13" work, though I prefer a bit more.

The standard stock works better most of the time, my wingshooter 870 goes to 15" and works better.

A defensive shotgun is used more like a rifle, though,and being stocked like a rifle is no handicap.
You do understand we are talking about what a cat said and I am kidding....

FAIL....
Old December 13, 2011, 10:29 PM   #61
shortwave

Quote:
Actually a 13" LOP is often preferred by folks who wear body armor or are on the smaller side
+1 Dave McC

My old S&W riot gun is cut to 13" and is very maneuverable in close quarter hallways and such.