The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 21, 2009, 06:17 PM   #1
.300 Weatherby Mag

Model 12 winchester assembly??

So what's the trick to reassembling the winchester model 12 shotgun... When I pull out the trigger group for cleaning, I cannot get the gun to function once I reassemble it... Specifically the slide jams.... I've taken it to smiths who walk out a couples minutes later with the gun fully functional and wont tell me what I did wrong or what I need to do different... What am I missing here???? Thanks for the help...

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; February 21, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old February 21, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Hammack

Pull the trigger assembly out with the hammer still in the cocked position. Also the bolt needs to be fully closed when put back together or else it can cause problems like you describe.
Old March 17, 2010, 03:15 PM   #3
omeas

Model 12 re-assembly

Could use some help along these lines. Took my 12 apart to install a new beavertail forend. Put it back together, I thought, but it wouldn' function at all. Took to local gunsmith who put back together, but now it jams when I slide it back and it is difficult to rack forward. He says to keep shooting it and it will improve. Not sure I want to do that, but I am stymied-anyone have any suggestions or should I find another 'gunsmith'?