The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 31, 2020, 08:16 PM   #76
Onward Allusion

You know what's really funny? CDNN Sports has a SD9VE (G3 Sigma) on sale for $399 each when 3 months ago they listed for $249. About the only 9mm pistol that is still going for pre-panic prices is the Hi Point C9.
Old July 31, 2020, 10:46 PM   #77
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I respect your position, but I buy from whoever has what I want at the price I want to pay. When supply is scarce, prices usually go up.
Just to be clear, I didn't tell anyone not to buy from CTD, just said that I would not and provided one reason why.

I was a CTD customer at one point and they drove me off with their practices. At this point, I will never buy from them again regardless of what they have or at what prices. In practice, that hasn't caused me to pass up any good deals. Others always have better prices, especially when you factor in more customer friendly shipping/handling costs.
Old August 1, 2020, 10:47 AM   #78
dgang

For years have always found CTD prices higher than others on the internet. Have always used their prices as a guide line on what not to pay for any ammo or gear.
Old August 1, 2020, 11:15 AM   #79
Machineguntony

CTD has always been a huge rip off.

Last edited by Machineguntony; August 1, 2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old August 1, 2020, 12:01 PM   #80
7.62 man

Well if you can't find 9mm ammo you can always find 9mm cases at any range & reload if you have stocked up on supplys. Every time I go to the range 9mm cases are laying everywhere.
Old August 1, 2020, 04:09 PM   #81
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 man View Post
Well if you can't find 9mm ammo you can always find 9mm cases at any range & reload if you have stocked up on supplys. Every time I go to the range 9mm cases are laying everywhere.
Unfortunately during prior panics I’ve noticed people are much more likely to start keeping their brass or even try and take your brass because they “want to reload eventually”. There was a guy at my local range that’d have his wife sweep up everyone’s brass because “his Dad was going to show him how to reload”. I had to tell them multiple times stop stealing my brass because I actually do reload.
Old August 2, 2020, 10:18 AM   #82
dgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
Unfortunately during prior panics I’ve noticed people are much more likely to start keeping their brass or even try and take your brass because they “want to reload eventually”. There was a guy at my local range that’d have his wife sweep up everyone’s brass because “his Dad was going to show him how to reload”. I had to tell them multiple times stop stealing my brass because I actually do reload.
Sorry to say " been there, done that"
Old August 6, 2020, 12:43 PM   #83
Mannlicher

All the woke shooters learned long ago to buy it cheap, stack it deep. Never be caught unprepared.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 6, 2020, 07:42 PM   #84
kymasabe

I just signed up with ammosquared.com and I hope it works.
Old August 7, 2020, 07:06 AM   #85
Nanuk

I bought a 9mm in March and had ordered a case of ammo in February.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 7, 2020, 10:53 AM   #86
Don P

Quote:
That's why many of us who reload don't bother with the 9mm.
Today's current lack of 9 mm is exactly the reason I reload 9 mm. I can still reload 9 mm for .10 per round. Please show me where you can buy 9 mm for $5.00 per 50 round box when ammo is plentiful
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 7, 2020, 11:31 AM   #87
dgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
Today's current lack of 9 mm is exactly the reason I reload 9 mm. I can still reload 9 mm for .10 per round. Please show me where you can buy 9 mm for $5.00 per 50 round box when ammo is plentiful
One year ago I could buy and have delivered to my door !000 rounds of 115gr. 9mm FMJ bullets for $150.00, that's $7.50 box/50. Figured I couldn't beat the price with even plated bullets. Bought a few K at that time and still shooting them. Now, the primers and powder I have will go to .380, .38, .357, and 40 S&W. But that was then and this is now. 20/20 hindsight.
Old August 7, 2020, 12:12 PM   #88
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1 View Post
Actually, being a NATO round, 9mm is probably plentiful overseas

Reloading does not guarantee availability either. I clearly remember primers and powder being near impossible to find back in 2009 and 2013.
You pretty much have to stay stocked up, be it factory ammo or reloading components.
We all knew there would be a shortage this year because of the elections but nobody was expecting the covid or riots to happen.

Jim
Something about 9mm. If it come's to conflict in this country I suspect the best cartridges to have are those used by military around the world. Shoot the bad guy and take his ammo! In that situation I would rely heavily on my Ruger P 89. Like the fire power and pretty much every country seem's to use the 9mm.

In case of that being wrong, I do reload and have a good supply of primer's and powder. But in that case primer's and powder is not the problem really, case's are. If you were in a fire fight with the bad guy you gonna stand around and pickup empty case's when it's over,,,if your still standing? Not me! But the thing I would rely on most in that situation is not a handgun but a rifle. I want to shoot the bad guy I'd rather do it from farther off than a handgun will allow. I'm am old and out of shape and not much match for some 18 yr old Bulshivic that want's to tear my head off. I think the best plan to survive a conflict like that is escape and evade! Live to fight another day!

But no denying in a close range conflict I'd prefer either a full auto rifle but the Liberals won't let me have one or a high capacity semi auto. Then an advantage to the 9mm come's in the cartridge size. bet ya can carry more 9mm rounds than 45 rounds! And in a conflict while killing the guy is a plus, stopping him is more important. I would think a bad guy laying on the floor bemoaning the loss of his nuts isn't gonna be doing a lot of fighting! And actually I think with a handgun a nut shot might be a good shot to practice. Probably the enemy soldier has armor on that will stop a handgun bullet but a jock strap won't!

I think a bad thing is a lot of us older guy's see ourselves as a lethal weapon but in fact against a younger determined well trained soldier we are little more than an target! Escape and evade. Live to fight another day!

My best guess is there would be lot's of enemy 9mm ammo laying around after you shoot them to add to your own supply! And if he shoot's you, well, you simply won't need it in the first place! Something to keep in mind, find yourself in one of those situation's and all you have is a 22 RF, you gonna throw it away? I wouldn't!

Last edited by Don Fischer; August 7, 2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old August 7, 2020, 02:24 PM   #89
ThomasT

Quote:
I will never, ever buy anything from CTD. Their name is a lie unless you believe that "Cheaper Than" means the same thing as "Treat Your Customers Like".

What you see is par for the course. You can always count on them to react just like that as soon as there's even the hint that supply is not keeping up with demand.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I have met the owner of CTD and he is not what you want for a friend. Thats all I'll say.

There is no shortage of ammo at my house. I learned my lesson way back in 1996 when the rumor of primers having a 6 month shelf life. I started stocking up then and have never been short of anything since. And I have been reloading for 39 years now and am well supplied on primer, powder, bullets and brass. Lots of 22 ammo also.

Everyone needs a good stash of ammo. But it seems like its a lesson that never gets learned.
Old August 7, 2020, 03:05 PM   #90
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer
Something about 9mm. If it come's to conflict in this country I suspect the best cartridges to have are those used by military around the world. Shoot the bad guy and take his ammo! In that situation I would rely heavily on my Ruger P 89. Like the fire power and pretty much every country seem's to use the 9mm.
For handguns, 9mm is easily the most popular. For rifles, I'm guessing 5.56/.223 would be the most popular. I guess that should make people reconsider going with newer rounds like the .300 Blackout. I am looking to get a 9mm carbine even though it has less power than the 5.56/.223. I have been eyeing an AR pistol for a while, but they are incredibly loud and performance drops off as the barrel gets shorter.

I'm in the market for a 8 inch version of the Sig MPX since I have a lot of 9mm ammo. The MCX does not have the buffer tube like the AR does and the 9mm actually benefits from a slightly longer barrel. The MCX comes with 30 round mags which is plenty of fire power and the slightly larger platform makes accurate shooting easier. Thoughts?
Old August 7, 2020, 05:07 PM   #91
ThomasT

If the MCX and MCX are based on the AR platform I wouldn't have any interest in one. I do have a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm and love it. My buds son used one to kill his first deer. Complete pass through and deer went down in less than 40 yards.

I also have one of the very first Hi-Point 9mm rifles. It shoots way better than the $160 price tag would have you think. It will roll cantalope sized rocks around all day at 90 yards. Its a booger to take down and clean.

The new Ruger 9mm rifle has my interest. If I didn't have the 9s I have now I would have already bought the Ruger. I regret not getting one of their original 9mm patrol rifles.
Old August 7, 2020, 06:13 PM   #92
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion
You know what's really funny? CDNN Sports has a SD9VE (G3 Sigma) on sale for $399 each when 3 months ago they listed for $249. About the only 9mm pistol that is still going for pre-panic prices is the Hi Point C9.
The SD Series is actually a Gen 4 Sigma. In fact, a somewhat lesser known fact is that in house the SD stands for "Sigma Delta" with Delta being the 4th letter in the Greek alphabet.

That being said, $399 is way too much for the SD9VE. I bought a like new SW40VE (which is actually the 3rd Gen Sigma) for $199 last October. Not to say that the Sigma Series is bad or anything, (it isn't) but it's still a bargain-priced Glock Clone.
Even the very best model the SD9 with a Melonite Finish and Tritium/FO Sights only costs $349 tops
Old August 7, 2020, 08:11 PM   #93
stephen426

The thing that kills me is how cheap some guns are and how expensive some knives are. Totally blows my mind how much less engineering is required, but people will still pay big bucks for a sharpened piece of steel. This is especially true of semi-custom and custom knives. Even standard production knives easily go for close to $500.
Old August 7, 2020, 10:57 PM   #94
ThomasT

Quote:
The SD Series is actually a Gen 4 Sigma. In fact, a somewhat lesser known fact is that in house the SD stands for "Sigma Delta" with Delta being the 4th letter in the Greek alphabet.

That being said, $399 is way too much for the SD9VE. I bought a like new SW40VE (which is actually the 3rd Gen Sigma) for $199 last October. Not to say that the Sigma Series is bad or anything, (it isn't) but it's still a bargain-priced Glock Clone.
Even the very best model the SD9 with a Melonite Finish and Tritium/FO Sights only costs $349 tops
I just bought another SW/SD 9mm off GB and with shipping and transfer I paid $320 total. I haven't even shot it yet. But if its like the SW9VE I bought many years ago it will be a great gun. It has never had the slightest bobble or misfeed. 100% reliable so far. I didn't know that SD stood for Sigma Delta. Thanks for that.

And one other thing the trigger on the new SD is way better than the trigger on the SW and the SD feels better in the hand.

Quote:
Even standard production knives easily go for close to $500
And thats why I don't have one. I was friends with knife maker Jack Crain. He made the knives for the movies Predator and Roadhouse. I should have bought some sort of knife from him before he died. When he was going through his divorce he sold a lot of his stuff at pretty cheap prices.

He had the flak jacket that Arnold wore in Predator. I really should have bought that. I did get to try it on. Arnold is a big boy. My bud has one of the hatchets/tomahahks he made for the TV series "War Of The Worlds". I think that was the name of it.
Old August 8, 2020, 02:48 AM   #95
stephen426

I will admit I have a few knives that are close to the $500 mark, but the ones I carry rarely pass the $200 mark. I am a bit of a steel snob and prefer M390. It holds an edge incredibly well but can be tough to sharpen. Anyway, going way off topic here so back to 9mm.
Old August 8, 2020, 07:06 AM   #96
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Just a reminder: We are in the "General Handguns" discussion area, and the topic of this thread is the availability of 9mm ammunition.
Jeepaholic
Old August 8, 2020, 08:45 AM   #97
jetinteriorguy

Oops my bad, started talking knives but have deleted.
Old August 8, 2020, 09:34 AM   #98
gaseousclay

My LGS had a small shipment of 9mm in ammo cans (Fiocchi). $59.99 for 200. Not a bad deal at all. Was really tempted but ultimately ended up passing on it.
Old August 8, 2020, 07:46 PM   #99
GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
I bought the Walther Creed with 2 16rd mags for $269.99 from CDNN back in May, now $399.99
Old August 9, 2020, 01:47 AM   #100
FotoTomas

My stash of ammo will see me through the current hard times well enough. On the other hand keeping an eye out to add to the stash is always good advice.