The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 16, 2019, 07:58 AM   #76
ds-10-speed

NAA Ranger II

The NAA mini breaktop has been mentioned a few times but no pictures, so here is mine.

I didn't really buy it for CC but more for the unique design, craftsmanship and cool factor.

Old May 16, 2019, 04:40 PM   #77
ThomasT

10-speed what a pretty gun. Too bad they don't make them in a bigger caliber like 32 long. There would be a lot of happy people here.
Old May 16, 2019, 06:47 PM   #78
4V50 Gary
Staff

that NAA 22 Mag is sweet. Didn't know there was a speedloader for it too.
Old May 17, 2019, 01:42 PM   #79
Glenn E. Meyer

Just to remind folks, NAA had a failed 32 prototype referenced earlier in the thread. The speed loader is neat. However, I look at the gun as a deep bug. If I have to reload it, it's probably all over by then. I carry some reloads in the pocket holster pouch. That's for a slow, it's all over reload.
Old May 17, 2019, 05:54 PM   #80
Bill DeShivs

The failed NAA prototype was for the .32 H&R magnum cartridge- way too long for a pocket gun, and it was darned ugly, too.
As a matter of fact, I find the .22WMR too long for a pocket gun-especially for what little added benefit you get over .22lr.
The .32 acp is just about ideal for a real pocket gun-side swing, break top, tip-up, or whatever-as long as the gun is sized to the cartridge.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:19 AM   #81
Glenn E. Meyer

I disagree, The 22 mag NAA guns fit my pockets just fine. With a 1 5/8 inch barrel and these grips: https://northamericanarms.com/shop/accessories/grc-m/
it's just fine. I don't agree with the folks who add bigger grips or barrels as it defeats the purpose of the gun for me.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:48 PM   #82
ThomasT

Quote:
The .32 acp is just about ideal for a real pocket gun-side swing, break top, tip-up, or whatever-as long as the gun is sized to the cartridge.
You like beating the drum for a 32acp revolver don't you? Whats wrong with the 32 Long in a revolver? A round designed to be used in revolvers.
Old May 19, 2019, 01:14 PM   #83
Bill DeShivs

Why?
Because, if the gun is sized to the cartridge, it would be much smaller than a .32 long model.
.32 acp is more powerful than .32 S&W long, also.
Seems like 2 darned good reasons to me.
BTW- the .32 acp was used in revolvers over 100 years ago.
Old May 19, 2019, 03:01 PM   #84
ThomasT

Quote:
Why?
Because, if the gun is sized to the cartridge, it would be much smaller than a .32 long model.
.32 acp is more powerful than .32 S&W long, also.
Seems like 2 darned good reasons to me.
BTW- the .32 acp was used in revolvers over 100 years ago.
Yes those are good reasons. Except like the OPs post its for a gun that doesn't exist and and never going to be made. Taurus tried the extra small revolver in .380 and I don't think they sold many and it seems to be gone now. If it had been a big seller they would still be making them. There is even less chance of one being made in 32acp.

And the ballistics for the 32 ACP are taken from a 3.5" barrel of an auto. Change that to a 2" barrel on a revolver with a cylinder gap and the numbers will change. The 32acp from an auto at 960fps gets around 144 foot pounds of energy. Lower when you shorten the barrel and add the cylinder gap.

I load 100gr bullets for my model 30 with a 2" barrel and they get 850fps and 160 FPE. My model 431PD in 32 mag gets 1100+fps for 227 FPE with an 85gr bullet. And that gun only weighs 15oz loaded. No 32acp gun will ever match that even if there was one ever made.

And yes there are lots of old 32 longs still in use and that keeps most factory loads on the weak side. But load data for the newer made 32 longs will give a real boost in power. But like the top break and the scaled down 32acp revolver, most factory made 32 long ammo will never be loaded to its potential. That will be the domain of the handloader and specialty ammo makers.

But anyone who shoots any of the 32 caliber revolver rounds is better off if they roll there own ammo.
Old May 19, 2019, 08:31 PM   #85
Bill DeShivs

The Taurus .380 revolver started off as a 9mm, then the 9mm was dropped and the gun offered in .380. They are still the width of the .38 Special guns-just shorter. Not exactly extra small.

A .32 S&W long revolver is a wonderful thing, but even with a short barrel they are still pretty big.

I guess most of you just can't visualize a gun that is actually made for the .32 acp.-but it would be much smaller than the Taurus .380 offering or the S&W "I" frame.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:49 PM   #86
ds-10-speed

When they introduced the .327 Fed Mag I was hoping to see more revolvers come out that were smaller but they seem to be the same size as .38's and .357's.

How about a new cartridge. I like the idea of a .257 Magnum, maybe not feasible but I would think they could make some pretty neat small little revolvers with that round.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:59 PM   #87
ThomasT

Quote:
I guess most of you just can't visualize a gun that is actually made for the .32 acp.-but it would be much smaller than the Taurus .380 offering or the S&W "I" frame.
Oh heck. I can visualize it. But do you really think anyone will make it? So what if they do? Will you be better armed? I doubt it. Its fun to dream but thats all it is. A dream.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:47 AM   #88
Bill DeShivs

There have been a lot of guns made that are far goofier than a tiny .32 acp revolver, so it's entirely possible someone will make it.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:55 AM   #89
44 AMP
Staff

OK, to be clear, the dream is a gun in a small frame size (scaled to be just big enough for .32acp), that nobody makes, in .32acp, a round widely held to be marginal for self defense, and one with a "spotty" reputation for working in a revolver, in a short barrel gun (losing some of what little power the round has), and in an obsolete, complicated action system (DA top break) that no one is going to make...

does that about sum it up??
Were such a gun made, I'm certain it would have a place as a CCW for some people. But I don't see it having a successful place in today's commercial market.

The joy of capitalism is that, if somebody can figure out how to do all that, AND make sufficient profit, someone, most likely, will make it.

I don't see that happening, but stranger things have, so Good Luck!!
Old May 20, 2019, 12:34 PM   #90
HighValleyRanch

Hard to imagaine a .32 acp revolver that would be smaller than a seecamp that holds 7 rounds (6+1). The cylinder would have to be much wider, and the frame width could not be much thinner, and the grip could not be much smaller.
Old May 20, 2019, 01:41 PM   #91
Lohman446

I think your looking at this from the wrong direction.

People buy the NAA mini. They effectively want something upward from that (size, stopping power, etc.). A .32, looked at from that direction, makes sense.
Old May 20, 2019, 01:48 PM   #92
Bill DeShivs

I didn't specify a top break.
And the proposed gun will not be as small as a Seecamp or Keltec P32.
But, it would be a revolver. And I can imagine lots of guys buying one for their significant others (right or wrong.) I would like to have one just because I like small guns.
Whether the round is considered "spotty" for defense is not really an issue. All pistol rounds are "spotty" for defense.

The .410 revolvers have little to no place in today's market-but look how many have been sold. The "Lifecard" single shot folding pistol is absurd-but it's in production. The NAA "mini" guns in WMR aren't exactly "mini" and are single action-but they are selling lots of them.

Apparently, there's an ass for every seat.
Old May 20, 2019, 02:11 PM   #93
ThomasT

IMHO this is the best platform for anyone who wants a 32acp gun. Seven ounces unloaded and holds 8 rounds loaded. And they are not a fantasy gun. They really make them. And 10 round mags are available.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1817650
Old May 20, 2019, 02:12 PM   #94
Jim Watson

Back in the day, there were pocket revolvers made for .25 and .32 ACP.
If you wanted more power, there were quite small but long cylinder revolvers for .22 Velo Dog, 8mm Lebel 1892 and 7.62 Nagant.
Old May 20, 2019, 04:37 PM   #95
ThomasT

I hope the OP and Bill Deshivs both get their wish for a top break and a mini revolver in 32 acp. Sounds like neat ideas. But I am not gonna hold my breath waiting on it to happen any time soon.
Old May 20, 2019, 04:49 PM   #96
Bill DeShivs

I have been carrying a P32 since before they were even available to the public. We have 5 of them.
I still want a small revolver.
Old May 20, 2019, 06:55 PM   #97
Armybrat

10-speed, thanks for the pictures. I intend to get one of those for the same reasons, but might tote it around now & then.
Old May 20, 2019, 07:46 PM   #98
ds-10-speed

I also would like to see some new small caliber top break revolvers, I think they are cool, self defense is not a requirement, I have others for that purpose if ever needed.

I am a revolver guy myself, I have a few autos but they rarely get used. It seems some people think a small gun is only used for concealed carry and must have bad guy stopping power. I personally live in an area where I never feel the need to carry but that doesn't mean I don't like to own, shoot and collect smaller revolvers too.

I like most sizes of revolvers (nothing bigger than .44 Mag) and here are my priorities in order of importance for owning them.

1 - Competition
2 - Hunting big and small game
3 - Target Shooting
4 - Plinking
5 - Collecting
6 - Home defense
7 - Concealed Carry

Most of my time shooting will be with small caliber revolvers.
Old May 21, 2019, 06:24 AM   #99
Lohman446

Smith and Wesson still sells A LOT of .38 special revolvers. Less capacity, more recoil, about the same power, and larger size than .380 of the same class.

The P32 (which does not enjoy tremendous sales) is not necessarily a grand counter argument to what people are looking for in this thread.
Old May 21, 2019, 08:54 AM   #100
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
The P32 (which does not enjoy tremendous sales) is not necessarily a grand counter argument to what people are looking for in this thread.
Really? Why not? The only excuse for a 32 ACP class defense gun is ease of concealment. As illustrated in post 52, the P32 is thinner, lighter and faster to reload than any revolver. Oh, yeah, it's cheaper too.

If the P32 doesn't have tremendous sales, it's because most people have more sense than to use such a tiny cartridge for self defense. All the more reason it's unlikely anyone is going to tool up to make a break top SD revolver.