The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2016, 07:16 PM   #1
doc540

Hardness Difference - Federal Magnum SPP's vs Federal Standard SPP's?

Anyone have a link documenting any hardness difference between Federal Magnum Small Pistol primers and Federal Standard Small Pistol Primers?

Thanks
Old February 18, 2016, 07:52 PM   #2
KEYBEAR

I really think there is no difference . Federal primers have the softest cups .
Old February 18, 2016, 08:51 PM   #3
doc540

Thanks

I'm looking for a documentable source to know for sure before I spend a few hundred ordering them.
Old February 18, 2016, 09:59 PM   #4
snakeye

Well then try Google
Old February 18, 2016, 10:01 PM   #5
doc540

Thanks

first place I looked, found nothing

I'll try calling Federal tomorrow.
Old February 19, 2016, 11:21 AM   #6
doc540

thanks

called Federal this morning - they're they same hardness
Old February 19, 2016, 11:33 AM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

The difference is in the pop you get from the primer ignition and the load charge weight change from the standard SPP and the MSPP not the hardness.

A hardness change is not necessary to ignite the primer.
Old February 19, 2016, 11:40 AM   #8
F. Guffey

Members of reloading forums have become testers. Always starts with something that sounds like; “I did some experiments and testing and here is what I have found”. And then there is ‘WOW!’ be on to he that that responds with something like “You what?”

If I wanted to know how powerful a primer was I would test for the most powerful primer. If I was interested in the most 'dentable' primer made I would test for their ability to resist dents.

Problem’ I am the only reloader with fast killer firing pins. All other reloaders have slow moving firing pins, they are strong and heavy but slow and strong. Other firing pins will not dent the primer until the case is braced against the shoulder of the chamber.

F. Guffey
Old February 19, 2016, 10:44 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

Members of reloading forums have become testers. Always starts with something that sounds like; “I did some experiments and testing and here is what I have found”. And then there is ‘WOW!’ be on to he that that responds with something like “You what?”<br />
<br />
If I wanted to know how powerful a primer was I would test for the most powerful primer. If I was interested in the most 'dentable' primer made I would test for their ability to resist dents.<br />
<br />
Problem’ I am the only reloader with fast killer firing pins. All other reloaders have slow moving firing pins, they are strong and heavy but slow and strong. Other firing pins will not dent the primer until the case is braced against the shoulder of the chamber. <br />
<br />
F. Guffey

I have no idea what you just said. Was there a point being made there? If so i missed it.
Old February 20, 2016, 08:44 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Quote:
I have no idea what you just said. Was there a point being made there? If so i missed it.
Did I miss you? I had no intention of missing anyone. There are a lot of reloaders that remind me of Vennie.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...VDQVAP&fsscr=0

When confused most Venneys can not ask ‘HOW’ and or “WHY?” I was in a gun parts store looking for gun parts when a man walked in with a magnificent rifle. He wanted the head space checked. The smith/owner informed the owner of the magnificent rifle he can not check the length of the chamber because he did not have a head space gage for that rifle. I did not say anything until the proud owner of the rifle left. And then I informed the smith/owner I could check the length of any chamber without a head space gage. The owner/smith was not a Vennie; he asks ‘HOW?’

The shop is complete with reamers and gages, a wild ‘guestimate’ on the number of head space gages would be 200+. The owner of the fine establishment is neither insecure or feels threatened by someone that know something he does not know. It did not take him long to catch on; when I finished he said something like “I’ll be dammed”. And then I offered to modify his head space gages into gages that would be more useful. The answer was no because he sold head space gages, the problem with modifying them would create a problem finding someone that could keep up with the modifications.

Quote:
I have no idea what you just said
And that is OK, you are not obligated and I place no responsibility on your part to try.

F. Guffey
Old February 20, 2016, 09:53 AM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
<br />
<br />
Did I miss you? I had no intention of missing anyone. There are a lot of reloaders that remind me of Vennie.<br />
<br />
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...VDQVAP&fsscr=0<br />
<br />
When confused most Venneys can not ask ‘HOW’ and or “WHY?” I was in a gun parts store looking for gun parts when a man walked in with a magnificent rifle. He wanted the head space checked. The smith/owner informed the owner of the magnificent rifle he can not check the length of the chamber because he did not have a head space gage for that rifle. I did not say anything until the proud owner of the rifle left. And then I informed the smith/owner I could check the length of any chamber without a head space gage. The owner/smith was not a Vennie; he asks ‘HOW?’<br />
<br />
The shop is complete with reamers and gages, a wild ‘guestimate’ on the number of head space gages would be 200+. The owner of the fine establishment is neither insecure or feels threatened by someone that know something he does not know. It did not take him long to catch on; when I finished he said something like “I’ll be dammed”. And then I offered to modify his head space gages into gages that would be more useful. The answer was no because he sold head space gages, the problem with modifying them would create a problem finding someone that could keep up with the modifications. <br />
<br />
Quote:
I have no idea what you just said
<br />
<br />
And that is OK, you are not obligated and I place no responsibility on your part to try.<br />
<br />
F. Guffey

I understood your first response. I also understand the second response. I was throwing you a hint...but i think you missed it.

Short and simple...no bloviating. Its more enlightening and helpful to the ebb and flow of those seeking confirmation.

Seems the subject of CCI spp and spmp hardness is covered. Good luck to the op and i digress.