The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 15, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1
new_camper

If you have to draw.....

In the unfortunate instance that you have to draw your ccw but the threat backs away and the weapon is not used, what is the next step. I would personally imagine that you would want to notify the police immediately, is this correct?
Old November 15, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
OldMarksman
Staff

Yes, and before anyone else does.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:04 PM   #3
campbed

If you drew your weapon, then a crime was committed. Yes?

Ether branishing by you, or the crime/attempted-crime that caused you to draw.

So... I'd attempt to be the first one to make contact with the police. Might count for something with the LE and DA folks. Especially if the bad guy plays innocent and says YOU are the criminal.

Likely I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited by campbed; November 15, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

lol, don't over think yourself right now. Just train. God forbid the time ever comes where you have to act upon that gut wrenching feeling of clearing your cover garment then your holster. You'll know what to do, and may your feet always move and may you be swift. Don't second guess that gut feeling in the here and now. That's my advice. Along with reputable training. I'm taking another class this weekend.
Old November 15, 2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman
Absolutely. I'd want to be sure that my name was put on the form in the space labeled "Victim," not "Suspect."

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbed
If you drew your weapon, then a crime was committed. Yes?

Ether branishing by you, or the crime/attempted-crime that caused you to draw.
The former (brandishing) maybe, maybe not. I haven't gone out to read all of the various statutes on the issue, but my hunch is that brandishing occurs when one performs various acts with a weapon without justification. You may still have to explain why you drew your gun, but that doesn't automatically make it a crime.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:38 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
the threat backs away and the weapon is not used, what is the next step.
I agree that from a legal standpoint law enforcement should be notified that you were the potential victim of a crime. However, from a tactical standpoint the first thing should be to assure you are truly safe and possibly move to an even safer location. Just because someone backs off when they see a gun doesn’t necessarily mean there is no longer a threat.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 15, 2013, 04:38 PM   #7
TailGator

Spats, if I understand correctly the post you quoted, I think his point is that a crime occurred that made the presentation justified and therefore legal, or else it is likely to be considered brandishing. It may not be exactly true in all circumstances, but it points out that if presentation is justified, it is highly likely that a crime has been committed - the reason for presentation - that needs to be reported.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:42 PM   #8
new_camper

Yes, I was going for the showing of the firearm was justified.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

I think that's a fair assessment: that brandishing occurs in the absence of justification. IOW, that a crime happened that made (actions that would otherwise be) brandishing necessary.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

Quote:
In the unfortunate instance that you have to draw your ccw but the threat backs away and the weapon is not used, what is the next step. I would personally imagine that you would want to notify the police immediately, is this correct?
No.

You tell the guy you want to see him dance.

And you then kind of help him remember how.

Know what I mean?

Deaf
Old November 15, 2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith
Quote:
No.

You tell the guy you want to see him dance.

And you then kind of help him remember how.

Know what I mean?

Deaf
And then you tell the judge, "Deaf Smith said I should do it." That way, maybe you can be cellmates.
Old November 15, 2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Nanuk

Safely re holster then call 911.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 15, 2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

Quote:
^^ This is what I was taught in CCW training here in California. ^^
Old November 15, 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

If you draw, don't jabber and threaten your assailant with harsh words to make them back down. If you draw and the threat high tails it out without a word, then good - but still call the cops. If you draw and the threat simply stands there menacingly - shoot. You're talking seconds... But as always, you better have a damn good reason to fire.
Old November 15, 2013, 07:40 PM   #15
breakingcontact

Re: If you have to draw.....

Id break contact and call the Po Po.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Tinner666

It's best to call PD, but I'll be the first to admit I've let the BG take off.

As an aside, PD was on the scene twice when I had to draw, before the LEO's as a matter of fact, and the BG was able to leave the scene. ( They were active crime scenes and PD had bigger fish to fry.) I was told to just skedaddle. No reports.

Here's something I've learned over the years having a home and a shop in a high crime area, and YMMV. I always strive to be SA. By doing so, I've either 1/2 drawn, or fully drawn ahead of the BG. If he already has a weapon out, it may already be too late for you. You have to recognize the threat before it's too late. I wish I could articulate it better. I guess it comes down to 'street smarts, or something.
Old November 16, 2013, 08:35 PM   #17
3.Shot.Group.

Pulling your gun unnecessarily can make a situation worse, because bad guys don't always walk away when you point guns at them.

Example: You're confronted with someone, you pull your gun in hopes he'll walk away, he doesn't walk away; Now what? Are you going to shoot him? For what; Not walking away? That might be hard to explain to the police.

What you think you would do and what you think once you actually do it are seldom the same. Likewise, what you think will happen when you do something, and what actually happens are seldom the same.
Old November 16, 2013, 08:47 PM   #18
3.Shot.Group.

Quote:
I would personally imagine that you would want to notify the police immediately, is this correct?
Almost. Actually, instead of pulling out your gun, you should pull out your phone and say "I'm calling the police", that will most likely make the guy walk away, and you won't have to escalate the situation into gun play where it could easily become deadly.
Old November 17, 2013, 01:27 AM   #19
new_camper

Good point. I was trying to simplify for the sake of not typing as much.
Old November 17, 2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

Can we stop having silly generalizations about incidents? It is all dependent on the circumstances.

I could easily post that the oncoming BG sees you pull out an expensive phone and says - Oh, Goody and bops you in the noggin for it.

That does happen in major cities.

I suggest that speculators take a good FOF course that deals with urban incidents as compared to suggestions without empirical support.
Old November 17, 2013, 04:07 PM   #21
Frank Ettin
Staff

Also note that the OP posited that one had to draw his gun. That is the starting point for the discussion -- a justified threat to use lethal force in self defense.

So let's not waste time on the question of when or if display of a gun is appropriate. For the purposes of this discussion it is.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 18, 2013, 08:23 PM   #22
chokeoloko

I wouldnt waste my time, tuck it back in and head home
Old November 19, 2013, 02:47 PM   #23
pilpens

A firearm is a tool of last resort.
If a firearm has been drawn in defense, there must have been a threat of serious bodily harm.
If the threat backs down, then
1. Go to a secure location/ensure the threat is gone.
2. Secure the firearm/reholster.
3. Call the police to report the attempted crime.
Old November 19, 2013, 05:43 PM   #24
Bennyboy

If I have reason to pull my gun, I'm going to use it. If I'm not justified in using it, I should have never pulled it.
Old November 19, 2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboy
If I have reason to pull my gun, I'm going to use it. If I'm not justified in using it, I should have never pulled it.
If that's your position, then perhaps you should review your state laws on use of deadly force. For an overview of the principles involved, Kleanbore wrote a very good post on the matter here.