The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 9, 2016, 03:27 PM   #1
P71pilot

What is the most reliable sub $1500 .308 rifle?

Income taxes coming soon, and I need a different car but I may be given one (best aunt in the world). So, if I don't have to spend 3k on a vehicle, I would like some sort of semi-automatic .308/7.62x51

My biggest concern is reliability, so FOR ME that rules out any type of FAL, my dad has one and it has been finnicky since the day he got it (before I was born), and he has had it worked on by "FAL experts" at least twice. Also they are extremely heavy, to me feel like 12 lbs unloaded, which is just too much

My favorite .308 is a semi auto HK G3 copy, although I have never shot one and only handled century arms cobbled up CETMES

I also like M1A socom but have heard a few bad things about springfields receivers being cast or cracking sometimes. Something along there. Budget would be 1500 or less.

-PTR91
-MIA socom
-AR10 variant

These really are the only guns I can think of that meet my criteria, but I rrrrrreally hate AR15's and deep down probably wouldn't trust an AR10, but might give it a go, I know there are several manufacturers of ar10s and they start at about $750 new, PTRs starting at about $900 new, and M1As starting at about $1500 new, I could also try the second hand market.
So in your minds, which rifle (manufacturer and model) would be the most reliable, while also being accurate (accuracy would we second most important)?

I may not even be able to get one this year, but none the less I will have a semi-auto .308 within the next few years if I have to get a car this year
Old February 9, 2016, 04:31 PM   #2
snolden

Your dads FAL is broke, send it to gunplumber in AZ. Please don't ever generalize one model of gun or one group of humans based on the actions of one example.

The FAL, HK, AR are all perfect for what you desire.

The AR platform is the most cost effective way at this time. Enjoy it, I run solely 7.62x51 semi's myself. All FAL's for me, although if I were doing it now it would be AR's. 20 years ago, HK91's.
Old February 9, 2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Idaho 45 Vaquero

Not all FAL's are unreliable, I've never had a problem with them and I have a cheap one parted together from Century. What make is your dad's, even good guns have a few unreliable specimens among them. (my Browning 9mm, and a Glock I used to own for example).
Also G3's are often just as heavy as FAL's. Originally, the standard configuration G3 was heavier than the standard FAL.

My dad owns a Springfield M1-a, its accurate and reliable. Its a little difficult to take apart or service in the field. Also you can't clean it from the breach, which I like.

AR-10's usually provide the best weight efficiency, and options for parts are excellent. (grips, for-ends, optics, stocks, barrel options).

All the choices you listed as well as the FAL are fine for reliability. If I had to choose differently from my FAL, I would get an AR-10 simply because one can make a AR platform into anything they want it to be.

There is also the AK-pattern Saiga .308 as an option. (but that's the dark side Kalashnikov)
Old February 9, 2016, 05:13 PM   #4
P71pilot

My father's FAL has been around a long time. Next time I go visit him I'll check it out and take photos and make notes. I believe it is a Belgium FN FAL rifle with an stg58 barrel and imbel trigger group lower. His has some kind of problem with the gas system, also with surplus ammo it isn't very accurate (wouldn't expect it to be). I would probably feel more comfortable with a well put together FAL than an AR10, even though the L1A1 type is much heavier. I've only ever shot the FAL, haven't shot any other automatic .308s
Old February 9, 2016, 05:29 PM   #5
roashooter

A used M1a standard....can be found under 1500....and SA warranty covers the rifle...used or not...original owner or not...and SA will make it right if it needs some work.

Mine has been 100% reliable....with surplus 7.62....and commercial ammo...
Old February 9, 2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Quentin2

Of your choices the only one I have is the M1A, actually the Scout Squad M1A. While I like it a lot I think an AR-10 or knockoff would get you the biggest bang for the buck.
Old February 9, 2016, 06:48 PM   #7
smee78

Being a fan of 308 semi rifles I can say if I was just getting into a 308 semi then the AR would be the best bet. I have each of the guns suggested Fal (built by Arizona Response/Gun Plumber), HK 91 clone (Springfield SAR-8), Springfield M1A Loaded & Palmetto AR 308 I built and all have their + / - , the AR is going to be the cheapest and have the most accy's avaliable. Plus it is going to be a little less ammo picky. You also did not mention if you reloaded or not? If you go the AR route be sure to do your home work, there are a few different designs out there and they are not interchangeable or standard like the AR15. Good luck with your choice.
Old February 9, 2016, 07:30 PM   #8
Road_Clam

Go ol' skool ! :

Old February 9, 2016, 08:28 PM   #9
ttarp

All rifles mentioned will likely be reliable enough given at least a little bit of maintenance, if you don't plan to take care of your rifle my guess is the PTR would take the abuse best.

The AR will be the lightest obviously, I may be wrong but I think the PTR and M1A will weigh roughly the same as the FAL.

If your planning on scoping the rifle, the AR again will be easiest, and while quality scope mounts are easy to find for the M1A, the PTR is easier to scope and has more options for mounts.

Really the AR is the most practical choice, but if you like traditional wood and steel the M1A will serve you well, and if your just looking for something different the PTR fits the bill. It really depends on what kind of shooting your going to be doing.
Old February 10, 2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Road_Clam

When I decided to go 7.62 semi something shopping I first decided I didn't want another AR. I have 3 different AR 5.56 configurations an I wanted something unique. I also understood shooting a semi-auto in 5.56 gets expensive real quick if you like blowing off some steam with rapid fire MAG dumps. This situation is exponentially true with a 7.62 semi. I ultimately chose a SA M1A loaded. My gig is precision target and i handload, so I like to pay extra for optional match barrels and triggers. The M1A is heavy so it shoots like a dream, is built tough, and has a lifetime warranty. I also just love the nostslgic feel of wood. So for me the logical choice was the M1A.
Old February 10, 2016, 01:55 PM   #11
dakota.potts

All of your choices will be very heavy. Some AR10s I've handled are heavier than any of the other choices. A PTR and most M1A rifles will weigh about what the FAL does.

I have a personal affinity for the HK series and would likely choose a PTR. They have a lot of options in your price range, ammo is cheap (they prefer steel stuff and NATO ammo), and mags are dirt cheap right now (still buying more up when I can). Not very modular though. I know if I asked my dad, he'd pick the M1A in a heartbeat. I have another gun nut friend who would take the FAL. Many would choose the AR10 because it's an AR. Just depends on what's right for you.
Old February 10, 2016, 03:33 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

If you like wood and blued steel, an M1A clone is just your line of country. There's an FN49 out there in 7.62, I think it's the Venezuelan contract, not certain. The M1A is the better choice.

If you like the classic early battle rifles, either an FAL or HK91 are peachy. I've never had an issue with either one of them, but I've used only genuine examples and not modern build guns.

You'll spend your entire $1500 on any of the above, maybe more.

Get a good one and you'll never regret it.
Old February 10, 2016, 03:50 PM   #13
SR420

Shop for a used M1A, or M14 that includes as many USGI and/or SEI parts as possible.
Old February 10, 2016, 04:25 PM   #14
gyvel

Quote:
I believe it is a Belgium FN FAL rifle with an stg58 barrel and imbel trigger group lower.
If that's the case, then it isn't all that old. It sounds like a "put together," and probably by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

I have put together about 16 FALs from parts kits and they have all been 100% reliable, and in one case, super accurate. I have used Entreprise and Imbel receivers and one Lithgow that I was lucky enough to snag. Gauges and some special tools are required.

Now, the first time you shoot an HK91 or clone remember that it is a recoil operated action. Let me put it another way: Try to forget it. Somehow, I don't think you are going to find it all that pleasant.

The problem is that you have set your limit at $1500.00. An actual FN FAL is well above that amount, and, unfortunately, parts kits have disappeared, snapped up by Century and others who have elected to make their own versions of the FAL, generally inferior, while driving up the prices of magazines, spare parts, etc. and reducing the demand for receivers. So they're disappearing, too.

Shoot a 91 before you commit, and think twice about an M1A. I have one, but I much prefer shooting my FALs and L1A1s
SIFE
Old February 10, 2016, 06:56 PM   #15
blu

century c91 sporter

Got this on a trade and gotta say after all the negatives I have read about century this one must be the exception. These were made from HK g3 matching parts kits and American made barrels. All century did was reassemble kits and and weld trunnion to receiver. Accurate and dependable a little hard on brass. Parts are still easy and cheap to get.
Old February 10, 2016, 07:01 PM   #16
ronl

I'd go with an AR-10 type rifle. There are enough variations out there to build/ buy one that suits your need. I have fired the FAL's, HK's, but was never impressed enough by them to want to purchase one. As mentioned before, the HK will let you know you have put a full power rifle to your shoulder, and being a reloader, it hammers the brass. The FAL is a decent rifle, but the ones I have fired were just not all that accurate. I do own an M1A, and really like it. It is very accurate, but scoped out with a full mag, it is rather heavy. My favorite .308 semi is the CMMG Mk3 CBR. Not as heavy scoped out as the M1A, and compact enough to be useful in the heavy woods/brush if I decide to carry it out for hunting. If shopping for a used AR, be sure and find one that accepts the Pmags, they are inexpensive and reliable.
Old February 10, 2016, 07:03 PM   #17
grubbylabs

I have DPMS GII and with just under 800 rounds , it's been very reliable.
The Smith and Wesson was a strong contender when I was looking. So was the Ruger.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old February 10, 2016, 07:07 PM   #18
P71pilot

Honestly I think I like the M1A short barrel the most. H&K91 copy a vvvery close second. I will see how the vehicle situation pans out and go from there. I got my income taxes today so I have a little over 3k for a car, but waiting to see if I can get this jeeo liberty for free
Old February 10, 2016, 09:49 PM   #19
grubbylabs

I would run far away from any thing Chrysler makes. Unless it's their minivan. Expensive to fix and likely to break. I can't find a good motor for a Chrysler to save my life. I know it's free and all, but still.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old February 10, 2016, 10:01 PM   #20
P71pilot

Trust me I am as anti chrystler as anybody, but free is free. And the 3.7l v6 is a decent engine. My mom has an 06 jeep grand Cherokee automatic with the 3.7L v6 and it has been trouble free 130K miles and still runs like a top and doesn't leak. Her jeep has actually surprised me with its reliability so far
Old February 10, 2016, 10:17 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

The steel semi-auto 308s are all heavy.
The aluminum ar-10 is only slightly lighter until you start hanging things off rails.
Old February 10, 2016, 10:36 PM   #22
SR420

The 16.25" pictured is as short as you can go. It's great, but the 18" is what the NAVY chose for their MK14s.
Go with the Bush/SCOUT/MK14 length, especially if you are considering a different muzzle device.
Very accurate, and ultra reliable.

Last edited by SR420; February 11, 2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old February 11, 2016, 12:23 AM   #23
Model12Win

A lot of M1A/M14 fans in this thread. But, as for the most reliable semi-auto .308 rifle under that price, and perhaps at any price, would have to be the Heckler and Koch G3 and it's high quality clones.

The rather violent roller-delayed blowback action, energetic extraction, and great simplicity of design equal a gun that will chew up your brass and kick it into the next county, but one that will still keep blasting when the other actions have seized up and died.
Old February 11, 2016, 01:36 PM   #24
Road_Clam

I own a 2001 dodge ram 1500. Absolutely the worst POS cheap azz designed truck ever. Total ongoing money pit. It's just a secondary vehicle for my daughter for school and I plow with it. So take my advice , you buy that Jeep liberty I guarantee you can kiss goodbye every extra saved dollar for your 7.62 semi dream purchase..
Old February 11, 2016, 04:54 PM   #25
P71pilot

You see I wouldbt be buying the jeeo, it would be given to me. If I end up buying a car there are only a few I'd spend my hard earned roofing money on

Toyota Camry 97-2001
Toyota truck t100 or tacoma 4cyl 5spd
Ford crown Victoria 1998-2004
Honda civic any year

Tags
.308 , battle , reliable , semi