The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 06:42 PM   #1
sharpie443

Charter arms patriot: .327 magnum

Got to mess around with my Grandfathers current obsession. Which is the .327 Federal Magnum revolvers. It's a very odd round and was developed as a high preforming .32 based off the .32 H&R magnum. It's often called the woman's magnum because it is smaller than other magnums but it still packs a decent punch.

Performance Vs. a 9mm is good especially when you consider that the .327 gets most of it's inertia from it's high velocity giving it great penetration.

.327 Federal Magnum revolvers
Velocity: 1,400-1874 FT/S
Energy:584-1,060 J

9mm
Velocity:1,200-1,430 FT/S
Energy: 533-704 J

Compared to a larger magnum like the .41 Remington Magnum it doesn't hold up but keep in mind that it is meant to be a light magnum for concealed carry revolvers.

.41 Remington Magnum
Velocity:1,327-1,871 FT/S
Energy: 1,210-1,790 J

My thoughts after shooting the Charter arms patriot: .327 magnum is that it is a very light compact concealed carry gun with a lot of power for the weight and size. The trade off is that it has a lot of recoil more than even a full sized .357 magnum revolver. It's not an enjoyable gun to shoot in other words and not a good option given that fact and the cost of ammo if this is the only pistol you are going to own. It would be a great carry gun but you will need something else to practice with that is easier on the hands and wallet. Although some people call it the woman's magnum because of it's size compared to other magnum rounds it might be a little more recoil than some female shooters want to deal with. I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a very small guy. I'm 5'4" where a 8 boot and small men's glove. I'm a stocky little German and to be honest the recoil is a little to much for my liking. However if you are looking for a small lightweight but powerful carry gun this is definitely something you might want to look into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mySPg2DoVWo
Old December 31, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

There have been some LONG threads on the subject of .327 Magnum... Some owners just LOVE 'em, especially if you're a reloader (considering all the ammo choices that fit in there.)
Old December 31, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Rainbow Demon

I really like my .32 S&W Long "I" frame hand ejector. Six shots rather than the five of the "J" frame .38.
The .327 Magnum sounds like an excellent way of getting more rounds in a small diameter cylinder, without sacrificing power.
A seven shot cylinder in a small frame revolver would be nice. With cylinder lock grooves bettwen chamber walls instead of over them for added strength.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
dalegribble

are they still making them? is ammo still being produced?
Old December 31, 2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Low Friction

As far as I know Ruger, S&W, USFA, and Freedom Arms are the only current producers. Taurus and Charter have stopped production. Ruger in the past had 3 variants but now only lists the GP100 7-shot as in production. Smith only has the 3" 6-shot ported model 623.

Too bad it didn't get more traction in the market. I have all 3 Ruger variants and the Charter 4" Target. They great flat shooting revos and the 327FM is easy and cost effective to reload for.

Check out the mother of all 327 threads here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448008