The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 23, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
RickE

I want to reach out... best scope?

Greetings, thank you in advance for any input, ideas or thoughts. I have a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in .300 Win Mag, and a Leopold VX 2 3x9.
If I want to increasingly expand my distance, what can I expect as a max for my scope, and what would be a good scope (brand/model/power) for say 400-500 yards? is the featherweight not a good (barrel) model for that range?
Old October 23, 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
sc928porsche

For me, 3-9x is plenty for up to 300 yds. 4-16 is better for past 300 and out to 600. I always choose a scope with A/O or focus knob. It really helps focus when changing scope power. Scope brand and power will depend on what your wallet and clarity you decide on.

The featherweight barrel is just fine for hunting. I doubt that you will ever get off more than 3 rounds in rapid fire. Game has a habit of disappearing quickly. If target shooting, they will work fine too if you provide enough time in between shots for the barrel to cool a little.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
taylorce1

First off you have a decent scope it will allow you to reach the ranges you want. You could upgrade to a CDS MOA dial or M1 turret for the elevation knob and that would be a big help dialing in the ranges. You could change out the reticle to a B&C or LRD too.

Second even though your rifle is a FWT, Winchester doesn't use a FWT contour for magnum cartridges. It is a standard sporter contour barrel in a FWT stock so you have a little heavier barrel. However it will still heat up pretty quickly because of what it is chambered in.

So if all you want to do is ring steel at the range then you are already set up pretty decent. If you want to shoot tiny groups at 400-500 then you should probably look at a different rifle. The only reason I say that is the .300 WM will get old fast from the bench.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
BIG P

Not sure if we're talking hunting or target,but I use 3.5 x 10 x 50 milldot Leopold on a heavy barrel 26'' 700 remmy in 300Mag & the ranges your talking are no problem for hunting. But that light rifle & the 300mag is going to be a little harsh on you & your pocket at the range. good luck
Old October 24, 2012, 05:59 AM   #5
jmr40

The scope you have is just fine for ranges out to 700+ yards. Spend your money on ammo.

Quote:
You could upgrade to a CDS MOA dial or M1 turret for the elevation knob and that would be a big help dialing in the ranges. You could change out the reticle to a B&C or LRD too.
I'd either learn to use the scope I have, or do this. Call Leupold and get an estimate to upgrade the scope you have.

Quote:
But that light rifle & the 300mag is going to be a little harsh on you

Winchester uses a standard weight barrel in their magnum FW rifles. They just use the FW stock so they don't really weigh than much less. Actually a FW in standard calibers is not particularly light by modern standards. He won't have any more problems than with any other standard weight rifle.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:36 AM   #6
AllenJ

The range I shoot at is max 550 yards. One of the guns I shoot is a Browning A-Bolt in 300 Win Mag with a V-III 3.5X10. I don't have any problems shooting clay pigeon size targets at 550 yards with my scope on 10 power. I think what you have should do what you need.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have a 500-yard range at my house. I had no trouble with sub-MOA with a 3x10 scope on my '06. OTOH, I had no trouble hitting within an inch or two of my intended spot on a buck with a 3x9 set on 3X, at about 350 yards.

Once you get "all married up" with a rig, "more" can be a bit helpful but it's rarely necessary.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:06 AM   #8
sc928porsche

Hummmmmmmmm. Well, I like to be able to see the bullet holes in the target instead of using a spotting scope. Although seeing those out past 300 is difficult.