The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 4, 2011, 10:52 PM   #351
Sevens

Ben Amonette, tech at ATK has personally confirmed for me that the factory loads all the .327 Federal ammo with CCI small rifle non-magnum primers. This is a 45k PSI max round and the rifle primer is called for to contain that pressure, so that's the primer you will want to use.

Nice little collection. And I agree that the Blackhawk is bound to be a strong platform, but I can't see it being any stronger than the GP-100 because the GP is a 7-shot and the B'Hawk has 8 holes bored through that .44 Mag sized cylinder. (you want TOUGH? My .30 Carb B'Hawk has the same sized cylinder your .327 B'Hawk has, but with only 6 holes in it. The meat between chambers is substantial)

Another option for a pretty stout .327 revolver? Freedom Arms makes a nice one that's probably not a wimp.
Old July 4, 2011, 11:42 PM   #352
secret_agent_man

If you're going to carry big iron for self defense rather than the lighter 327 MAG revolvers that are available, might as well be chambered for 357 MAG.
Old July 4, 2011, 11:45 PM   #353
jimbob86

Quote:
If you're going to carry big iron for self defense rather than the lighter 327 MAG revolvers that are available, might as well be chambered for 357 MAG.
Except that you can get more bullets in the .327, of similar energy levels, with less recoil.
Old July 5, 2011, 01:19 AM   #354
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm guessing the Blackhawk is about the toughest 327 available. At ~48oz it does noticeably deaden the recoil compared the the two small revos. I'm planing on starting with 100gr XTPs and H110. Not sure what primers to use, will probably default to small rifle. Have read about potential squib issues with H110/W296, so I'll be careful with starting loads.
I'm running Magtech and CCI small rifle primers behind all of my hot .32 H&R loads, and any of the moderate-to-hot .327 loads. Lil' Gun is great in .32 H&R. H110/W296 has done well in the .327 (but my testing is still pretty limited).

The Blackhawk is fun.

Quote:
That depends on your point of view.
Some of us don't even care about the SD side of the cartridge. My (wife's) 48 oz behemoth is great fun to shoot, legal for deer and antelope, and does wonders on small game. For us, it's not an SD cartridge. It's a freezer filler, plinker, and critter gitter.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:18 PM   #355
BBroadside

Small-frame guns aside, I'd like to know how many rounds you could put into larger weapon. If Taurus has an 8-shot .357, what would the equivalent size .327 hold? 9? 10?

Or in a 686 Plus? Eight or nine, I'd guess. With the bulk, recoil would be pretty nice, and 4" or 5" barrel would make noise pretty moderate. Sort of a gentle shooter with a sting. Not sure if they would sell though.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:24 AM   #356
cornbush

I want a .327 10 shot Redhawk
Old July 9, 2011, 04:35 PM   #357
Twoglocks

I have Taurus 327 Fed mag and Sp101 in 32mag reamed to 327 Fed. Taurus is light and I will cary it when I get my CCW permit. I will shoot SP101 soon but with 4" barrel it's going to be a blast. I can get 1500fps from that barrell so nothing is a miss, just what people like or dislike.
Actualy more guns showing up, like Ruger Single Action Blackhawk http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62291
Old July 9, 2011, 06:06 PM   #358
Sevens

Ha ha... the Bud's ad is funny... it says the capacity of this single action revolver is "8+1."
Old July 9, 2011, 06:54 PM   #359
Glenn E. Meyer

It's an assault revolver obviously, better call Schumer and Diane.
Old July 11, 2011, 01:36 AM   #360
Ralph G. Briscoe

Failure to market

I have a Smith 432 on order. I've been fascinated with the possibilities of the cartridge since its introduction--possibilites which have not been taken advantage of by gunmakers. Where is the ultra-slim, ultra-light 5 shot J frame?--it would be the easiest to carry of any defense-caliber revolver. Where is the 6 or 7 shot J frame, no thicker than a .38? Where is the 10-shot Nightguard? Where is the Marlin Lever-action in that chambering? The Colt Single-action? It's fundamentally a great defense cartridge for revolver lovers but it was not marketed as such. It was hardly marketed at all. I'm ordering this gun for my wife to keep in the nightstand--less recoil that .38 defense rounds. But I'm plan to shoot it a lot myself
Old July 11, 2011, 02:21 PM   #361
Dain Bramage

Quote:
I'm ordering this gun for my wife to keep in the nightstand--less recoil that .38 defense rounds. But I'm plan to shoot it a lot myself
That's what happened with our Model 431. I carry that sucker a whole lot more than she does. But she still calls it "her" gun and is very proud to shoot it at the range.
Old July 11, 2011, 09:40 PM   #362
Daggitt

I'm ordering a wife for my gun and while this wife is for my gun , I can still use it whenever....
Old July 12, 2011, 02:44 AM   #363
BillCA

Quote:
Why stop the bigotry there? If you're going to carry "big iron" a .44 Mag or .454 Casul is better than the .357 MAG.

Ballistics on the .327 overlap a good portion of the .357 Magnum so you're not giving up very much to the small bore.
Old July 12, 2011, 04:40 PM   #364
Glenn E. Meyer

My 432 is a great light weight carry in cargo shorts. Six shoots, reasonable ammo. Got it cheap when SW discontinued them - wish I bought two!
Old July 12, 2011, 09:25 PM   #365
BillCA

Glenn,

I heartily agree. My 432PD sees duty here in the front room "study" while I work and goes with me to answer the door. It works equally well in a jacket pocket or thunderwear type carry. You can almost forget it's in an ankle holster as a B.U.G. too. Moderate power (on a par with .380 or standard velocity .38 special) with six shots. Toss in a pair of speedloaders and for under 2lbs you're good to go.
Old July 13, 2011, 03:13 PM   #366
secret_agent_man

A 32 H&R MAG Model 431PD or 432PD with a scandium alloy aluminum frame and titanium six-shot cylinder would approach 11 ounces empty. The ultimate balance between ballistics and weight, perhaps the ideal pocket gun.
Old July 13, 2011, 06:27 PM   #367
zfk55

Daggit
I'm ordering a wife for my gun and while this wife is for my gun , I can still use it whenever....

Daggit, I'm truly proud of a man who would order a wife for his firearm. I take it your revolver is a he?

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old July 14, 2011, 12:51 PM   #368
Hammer It

Quote:
A 32 H&R MAG Model 431PD or 432PD with a scandium alloy aluminum frame and titanium six-shot cylinder would approach 11 ounces empty. The ultimate balance between ballistics and weight, perhaps the ideal pocket gun
Hello Secret Agent Man
I thought so too. A Few Years ago I gave a Mint Model 14-2 Target Masterpiece in .38 Special for my 431 P.D. S&W had it right making this gun and the P.D. Meant Persoanl Defense but for some Odd reason I guess low sales they discontinued it. Mine came brand new to me in box and has been carried in a Pocket rig since the day I got it every day with me... Hammer It
Old July 20, 2011, 08:03 AM   #369
Master Blaster 2

I have an 93 year old uncle who I think could handle a .327 for home protection. He is pretty alert and capable of using a gun however not hot recoil.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:19 AM   #370
Locoweed

I'm perfectly happy with my .38/.357 revolvers and don't really need another mouth to feed and yet another caliber of ammo to keep on hand. If they could make it up in a revolver smaller than a J frame I might be interested.
Old July 20, 2011, 06:49 PM   #371
catzor

Looking for a .327. My first pick is the SP101, but assuming I can't come up with a used one, what is a preferable of the following two alternatives, Taurus 327 (2") or the Charter Arms Patriot (2.2")
Old July 21, 2011, 09:54 AM   #372
Sevens

IMO, neither is preferable because the high pressure .327 round loses way too much juice in a barrel shorter than 3 inches.

Still, were I forced to choose, I prefer the build design of the Taurus over that of the Charter. The crane area on any/every Taurus is larger than the same part on any/every Charter. In actual use, neither gun maker has a stellar reputation for the best products in the industry.

I'd save my money and get the SP-101.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:29 PM   #373
catzor

Secretly, that's what I wanted to hear. Will do!
Old July 26, 2011, 08:18 PM   #374
CollapCzar

Who is, missing the point, me or you?

For Xmas I bought my dad a used SP101, w/ 357mag it kicks well. This is my point, .38spl not so great, .357, a little much for some. An xtra rd or 2 in a 25oz loaded revolver w/ a slim cylinder, 2/1/2 or 3in. barrel, and reliability of a revolver would/ does sound good to me. And faster follow up shots?!, usually a good thing if/ when needed. Ballistics I've seen are comparable to 40 S&W, the "end all rd". Reloading issue could be left to those who reload (not many of us who buy a pistol reload). 20$ for 20rds of SD ammo, no different than any other cal. Too bad the other calibers it will shoot aren't cheaper for plinking or practice. This is the rd I've been looking for in a CCW rev. Not necessarily a HD rev but it would do. 357 mag is a lot of kick for a woman protecting her children in the middle of the night. And for a man and CCW and the ability to practice, not sure what not to like. So many posts, I'm gonna go finish some more.
Old July 27, 2011, 01:46 AM   #375
CollapCzar

Sorry for not waiting

To finish each post. I'm on page 13.
Thank you to all who are talking .327 fed mag and it's ability's. Also the guns that shoot it and those like it. To the man that shot the bobcat, cool. To the owner of the 'S&W .32-20 Model of 1905' on page 12, wow.. WOW.
Sorry for all you reloaders (for now).
Title, of this thread; '327- what went wrong'. OK, brass. Enough about brass. Brass will come by consumers buying the guns and shelf ammo.
I'm not a reloader, feel that it makes me a reg consumer. So, I need a gun, a reliable gun that I can CCW, and fire repeatedly/ comfortably if need be. The wheel gun makes it a little more reliable (I think ) than a pistol. I like my 9, a cheap KT P-11. I could use a revolver, preferably in this cal. Why? Cause I think it could be light, controllable, accurate and deadly if i need it be (see that bobcat?).
The "public" didn't buy it cause not enough to put it in. Regular Joe puts the round in the gun, not vice versa. Anybody notice the huge increase in anything pocket carry. This could be it.
So maybe i was wrong to say 2/1/2 in bbl. How bout 3/1/2? My buddies Glock in .40 would probly still be bigger. I'm thinking slim nightguard (think 686). Hell, I love that gun, wish i could afford one, and a Glock in 10mm. But if I could more readily CCW that 686. That's what I think is hurting the .327 FedMag.