The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 1, 2010, 07:46 PM   #1
banger

MAK90

I recently picked up a MAK90 cheap. I didn't really want it to start with but the price was too good to pass up. Anyway, I got to say that I'm not a big fan of the thumb hole stock. So the question is, would there be any legal issues if I were to replace the stock with a folding stock w/ pistol grip ?
Old March 2, 2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Destructo6

This really should be in the rifle forum.

Yes, there are legal issues with replacing parts on a MAK90.

Do a search for 922r compliance and you should find plenty of information, maybe too much, regarding such a swap.

Keep all of them clean.
Old March 2, 2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Technosavant

If you want to replace the stock on a MAK-90, it's simple enough, but you will need to ensure 922r compliance. In short, non-sporting firearms need to have 10 or fewer imported parts. With the thumbhole stock the MAK is sporting, but not once you go to a more standark pistol grip and stock (folding or not).

On the MAK-90, you need 5 US made parts. If you use a US made stock and pistol grip, that leaves you with 3 more parts needed. While you could restrict yourself to US made magazines (3 parts), the moment you put an imported mag on there you'd be out of compliance. I'd recommend swapping out the trigger group (3 parts)- it's quick and easy (get the retaining plate that replaces the shepherd's crook spring while you're at it; reassembly is easier).

So long as you install 5 US made parts and ensure you have the right stock (some MAKs were milled receivers, some were stamped, and the stock fit is different), you're good to go.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4
apr1775

18 USC 922(r) is a strange one. If you want to be totally safe, follow the parts count. I'm not aware of any individual gun owners being convicted for violation of 922r. 922r simply states that it is unlawful to manufacture a firearm which would be prohibited from importation under 925d. 925d prohibits importation of foreign made firearms which are not sporting purpose. Two questions arise: 1) what is sporting purpose, 2) how many foreign parts can a firearm have before it is foreign made? Neither of these questions are answered by the laws passed by Congress. The Secretary of Treasury wrote regulations to answer these questions: 1)a sporting purpose rifle does not have a separate pistol grip, bayonet mount, etc. 2) for a rifle to be considered domestic manufactured, it must not have over a certain number of foreign made parts, hence the parts count list. Any person or business operating under the authority of a Federal Firearms License (importers, manufactures, dealers, gunsmiths) must follow these regulations. Does it apply to what individuals do with their own firearms? If you asked the ATF, they would say yes, but such is the nature of government agencies to extend their authority as far as they can get away with. Ultimately this would be for the courts to decide. I think the same logic would apply as the Supreme Court used in US v Lopez.

I'm not a lawyer. This is just my personal opinion. You are responsible for your actions, just as I am responsible for mine. The NFA is a totally different law, I would not apply the same argument.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Technosavant

Most any 922r discussion I've ever seen usually comes to the conclusion that no, the ATF isn't usually going to examine all your guns for compliance. However, if they decide they want your hide over the barn door for some reason, they'll use whatever they can to do it.

Although it is unlikely you'll ever be in a position where the government even discovers noncompliance, let alone charges you with it, I recommend that you follow the law to the best of your knowledge and ability. On the AK, 922r compliance is incredibly easy to attain. The trigger group itself is inexpensive and the effort required to install it is minimal.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:52 PM   #6
banger

Thanks guys. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

It's good to know that there is a place like this where you can count on knowledgable people helping you out.
Old March 2, 2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Handguards and gas pistons are also parts that can be swapped relatively easily and will each count as one compliance part.
Old March 4, 2010, 06:05 PM   #8
banger

Ok, let me see if I have this straight....

1) The MAK-90 in it's imported form is considered a sporting firearm and excempt from 922(r) compliance laws.

2) The minute I remove the the stock and replace it with a folding stock / pistol grip combo, that makes it a non-sporting thus rendering it applicable to 922(r). It was stated earlier in the thread that I would then need 5 US made parts as described in 922(r) to be legal. What I take from that, is that the MAK-90 has 15 parts listed in 922(r) thus the 5 parts needed in getting the part count down to the legal limit of 10.

2 questions...

Is my above understanding correct, or did I get off track somewhere ?

Secondly, is there a place that describes each of the 922(r) parts in detail ? What I mean by that is some things are self expalnatory such as barrel and stock. However, I don't know what all the part listed in 922(r) are. If I'm going to play the part count game, then it is important to know what they are. I not as firearm savy as you experts are.
Old March 4, 2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Technosavant

You are correct in your understanding of the above.

The complete list of parts is here, but the law lists 20 parts, not all of which are present on your rifle. The ones most commonly swapped out on an AK are the stock, pistol grip, handguard, gas piston, trigger, disconnector, hammer, magazine body, floorplate, and follower. The link I provided puts asterisks next to the parts on the MAK-90, but the MAK has no muzzle device, giving you 15 total parts.

The problem with using the magazine route to compliance is like I said- while it's very easy to do, you limit yourself to US made mags. The most common ones to swap are probably the furniture and fire control group- you can do all that work in less than an hour.
Old March 5, 2010, 12:52 AM   #10
Carne Frio

The easiest way for me was to replace the foregrips, stock and pistol grip
with USA made furniture and the fire control group which is 3 parts.